Author Topic: Fl1024m or YEM problem ?  (Read 4301 times)

tobsboy

Fl1024m or YEM problem ?
« on: March 06, 2021, 01:16:58 PM »
Hi,
    I'm a newbie so please excuse if this is posted on the wrong forum.
I've installed an FL1024M in my Tyros 5 and attempted to load several Yamaha free premium packs. Everything seems to work fine on YEM and a .cpi file is produced.
I copy this to a usb stick, insert into the Tyros and execute a  function I and the screen duly shows my cpi. I select, hit install then , with baited breath, hit OK.
There's just a glimpse of "Please Wait" before the screen shows "Device is not connected".  Since the usb stick IS connected, is this a sign that the FL1024M is faulty or is it maybe that my .cpi wasn't quite what the Tyros was expecting?
Any advice/ suggestions gratefully received.

Offline ckobu

Re: Fl1024m or YEM problem ?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 02:04:28 PM »
Hi, you may not have formatted the memory you installed. You can do this in this order
Voice Creator > Expansion Module > (The flash memory expansion module is unformatted. Do you want to format) > OK
Watch my video channel

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 02:19:30 PM »
I'm fairly certain the problem is with your USB or expansion. As long as you selected your t5 as the install target, the CPI produced by yem should be fine.
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 03:50:03 PM »
Make sure the board is fully connected. If not fully pushed down can send this message. Never heard of a flash board needing formatting.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 04:23:09 PM »
.....Never heard of a flash board needing formatting.

Fortunately, there is this forum to share knowledge.  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel

henrycar

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 04:55:14 PM »
Excellent ckobu, I had learn something new today.

Cheears
henrycar

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 04:58:00 PM »
Is that screenshot from a T5? I don't remember ever seeing that..
Genos

tobsboy

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 05:33:13 PM »
Hi, you may not have formatted the memory you installed. You can do this in this order
Voice Creator > Expansion Module > (The flash memory expansion module is unformatted. Do you want to format) > OK
Thanks ckobu, I have not formated the memory and don't know how to on a T5- I thought that was done automatically? I dont have that option on creator it gives me just Song.Style or multipad creator. I thought the format option with creator was only on T4?

Offline ckobu

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 05:40:54 PM »
Hi tobsboy,

you are right, The memory of Tyros 5 is automatically Formatted before entering the Pack. That's why the Tyros 5 doesn't have a Format option like it did on the same memory card that is built into the Tyros 4.
 @DerekA - this is a picture with Tyros4 and you're probably right about the USB stick. Maybe the only problem is that it is not formatted in FAT32. It’s best for @tobsboy to do this on Tyros 5 and then start installing Pack again. If it still doesn't work, try another type of USB stick.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 05:41:58 PM by ckobu »
Watch my video channel

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 08:51:09 PM »
Fortunately, there is this forum to share knowledge.  ;)

Hi ckobu,

your screenshot is probably from a Tyros4 (which uses the same type of Flash ROM Expansion Modules as Tyros5).

But from Tyros5 the Expansion Voice technology is YEM  based. This means, you can neither see directly on the T5 whether or how much Expansion Memory is currently installed, nor can the Expansion Memory be formatted manually.

The size of the installed Expansion Memory of the T5 can only be seen in the YEM, either after you have either exported the current Instrument Info file (.n27) of the T5 to a USB stick and then imported it into the YEM as "Install Target", or alternatively when the T5 is connected to the computer / YEM via Wi-Fi (Yamaha UD-WL01 USB stick).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline ckobu

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 08:53:52 PM »
Hi Chris,
I just wrote that in my previous post.  ;)
Watch my video channel

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 08:59:04 PM »
Hi Chris,
I just wrote that in my previous post.  ;)

Thanks ckobu,

I overlooked your previous post before... ;)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 09:19:46 PM »
@tobsboy

Please make sure that you have installed the latest Firmware (V1.13) on the Tyros5 and that you are using the latest YEM version (currently V2.7.0).

P.S.
If the problem persists, I recommend to download the Packs, in the correct Tyros5 version (-61 or -76), from Yamaha again:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/vse/index.html

Delete the old Packs from YEM and then import the NEW downloaded Packs.

As a pre-caution, I recommend to delete the old .cpi file(s) from the USB stick before saving a new Pack Install file. (This is because the YEM sometimes have a problem to overwrite a previous .cpi/.ppi file.)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline ckobu

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 09:28:58 PM »
As always, Chris is precise in his response.
I would just add that USB must be formatted in FAT32. It can also be done on a computer, but it is safest to do it on a keyboard.
Watch my video channel

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 01:25:15 PM »
From what you say the YEM seems to be working OK so it points to the Flash memory not being fitted properly or it is faulty. Did you purchase this new if so you can get it replaced if not working.

tobsboy

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2021, 04:48:55 PM »
Well thanks very much for all your suggestions. I've checked them all out but am afraid to say I've drawn a complete blank. I'm now pretty certain that the flash unit must be faulty. I bought the unit on Ebay and the seller tested it before dispatch by formatting it on a T4. He seems an honest sort of chap and I tend to believe him. Discounting the possibility that I damaged it during installation (and I am very experienced in installing static sensitive devices), I guess it must have been damaged in transit. It was well packed in terms of preventing mechanical damage but it was not inside  a   static protection bag which, I suspect, could be the source of the problem.
      The seller doesn't accept returns and, although I've never had cause to use it, Ebay's money back guarantee  sounds like it would involve  protracted arguments on liability. I might just put it down to experience ):

Offline DerekA

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2021, 05:05:35 PM »
Oh Im sorry to hear that.

You could try buying a new Mutec FMC-06 which is the same thing, a few retailers stock that. If you order from an EU retailer like Thomann remember you'll have to pay VAT etc on delivery on top of the advertised price.
Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2021, 07:48:50 PM »
Hi tobsboy,

have you already tried another USB stick (formatted FAT32, best formatted directly on the keyboard)?

If you have exported the Instrument Info File (.n27) correctly (after installing the Flash ROM Expansion Module) on the Tyros5 and then imported it into the YEM, the available "Voice Wave Size" should appear with "... / 1023 MB" (when you click on the Tyros5 Install Target) Is this the case for you?

If so, the Expansion Module is obviously recognized correctly by the Tyros5, and the problem is probably elsewhere (possibly it could be the USB stick used or, as mentioned above, one or more Packs may be defective and must be downloaded again from Yamaha).

To make sure that the Expansion module is properly installed and not damaged, you could run a special internal test routine ("FLASH MEMORY EXPANSION MODULE CHECK").

You are welcome to contact me via PM (Personal Message) and I will send you detailed information about this test.

Best regards,
Chris