Author Topic: Genos vs Tyros  (Read 5330 times)

Offline dinapoli

Genos vs Tyros
« on: March 02, 2021, 12:48:36 AM »
Is there much of a difference among keyboards if we play the same music?

Here is an old video of me playing the Tyros, I think is 3, live at one of my dances:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bN1OlfJL3M&feature=youtu.be

Here is the Genos playing the same music in my studio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y0pS7-a7Ac

I think both keyboards can keep the people on the dance floor.
Notice almost at the end OF THE FIRST VIDEO, a 97 year old who can still Rock & Roll!

The following users thanked this post: mikf

Argento

Re: Genos vs Tyros
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 01:40:17 AM »
Ciao Gino!
Well done !!
They were reccorded at different times , with different equipment, so i don't think its a fair comparison between the Genos and the Tyros, but, both off course sounds really well for what i can tell!
Nicelly done!

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 10:24:02 AM »
... I think both keyboards can keep the people on the dance floor.

Agree. 👍
As many use to say: It's not the keyboard, it's the player. 😉
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 01:29:54 PM »
Genos has moved on a lot in ease of operation voicing styles etc. Has a great sound to it however you play.

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 02:17:55 PM »
dinapoli. I have a T5-76 which is excellent so I don't intend to change.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 02:18:59 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 04:03:19 PM »
Thank for your input.
Yes the comparison is not fair, the Tyros was recorded in a noisy room, a lot of the noise was taken out.  Genos was recorded in a quite room.  Both recordings were made in one take.  The recording of the Genos was made when I received it and started to set up the Registrations.

We use these keyboards for different reasons.  I use them to Entertain.

On certain songs I use similar styles, but I spend much of my time auditioning 1000's of styles.  Sometimes I find styles that sound very nice and I try to fit a song to it.

At Dances my goal is to keep the Dance floor filled all the time.  My observation is my Dance floor is filled regardless the keyboard I use, of course goes without saying you need to set up your keyboard in a way you can find your sound in seconds.

The other thing that makes a huge difference is the sound system.  We listen to the music with a computer, the speakers on these computers don't do justice to the sound.

I find plus and minuses with all the keyboards, I like the extra octave on the Genos, how many times I use the extra octave?
I like some new styles on the Genos.
With the Covid virus around, I have more time to learn how to use the keyboard.
I liked the wheels on the Tyros, I used them a lot.  I am getting used in using the joy stick!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 07:27:36 PM »
I have both, and love them both. But the Tyros looks best!😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 08:25:09 PM »

I have had the Tyros 5 and made the switch to Genos.  Some of the sounds are much better than the Tyros, but most are the same. For me the new user interface is where it really excels, and worth making an upgrade just for that.

Rick D.

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 09:26:48 PM »
I went from Tyros 1 to Tyros 3, then switched to a Ketron modula at first midied with the Tyros 3 then I midied it with another Yamaha synth. then back to Genos.
I was listening to some songs played by the members of this forum, they are really good but I realized I got to stay away from styles Intros that come with the styles.  We have  different songs with the same Intro!

The following users thanked this post: rowil

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 11:51:46 PM »
Dinapoli,

I very rarely use the intros unless they are song specific, and if I do use them I only use Inro 1 to count in the style.. You are right they use the same intros on a lot of styles.

Rick D.

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 01:22:55 PM »
I find the Tyros 5 to still be a great keyboard and a far better build quality than the Genos. Based on what I hear through my Bose system, the Genos has a superior sound processor. The only people who hear a solid difference between the two keyboards are my band mates. I can get as many people up on the dance floor with a Tyros 5 as I can with a Genos. It's all how you play it :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 04:31:13 PM »
Grande Gino...

The following users thanked this post: Esa

Offline Esa

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 05:01:12 PM »
Did I go wrong when I bought Genos?
However, would it have made more sense to buy Tyros5?

regards Esa

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 05:04:57 PM »
Genos has a more up to date interface and better sounds. But Tyros is also a good keyboard. However, the model is 8 years old.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Esa

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 06:33:42 PM »
Ok,I trust you Toril !
Esa

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2021, 11:18:29 AM »
Genos has a more up to date interface and better sounds. But Tyros is also a good keyboard. However, the model is 8 years old.

We only have one life---"HAVE IT" :) :) :P!!!
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline maartenb

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2021, 04:09:05 PM »
Gino,

Well played! So great to see how you entertain the people!

Is there much of a difference among keyboards if we play the same music?
Between a Tyros 3 and a Genos? Yes. It's nice to listen at your recordings after each other and hear the improvement of the sound Yamaha have made in a period of nine years.

Does it matter? Not really. I'd rather hear Martin Harris or Michel Voncken on a Tyros 1 than myself on a Genos.  ;)

Maarten

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2021, 04:48:11 PM »
Between a Tyros 3 and a Genos? Yes. It's nice to listen at your recordings after each other and hear the improvement of the sound Yamaha have made in a period of nine years.

Does it matter? Not really. I'd rather hear Martin Harris or Michel Voncken on a Tyros 1 than myself on a Genos.  ;)

Agreed. To me, the advantage of the Genos was 76 keys at less weight than the Tyros. And the touch screen.

Does it sound better when I'm playing it? Yes, marginally, with emphasis on the marginal.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons