Author Topic: PSR SX900 mic input problem  (Read 3904 times)

rcoate

PSR SX900 mic input problem
« on: March 07, 2021, 06:21:14 PM »
Hello,

I'm trying to use my PSR SX900 keyboard with the iSolo Prime wireless mic to record my flugelhorn, accompanying MIDI playback. On first attempt, the keyboard seemed to be adding both a harmonizing and a distortion effect, which I somehow got turned off and made a couple of great recordings.

After a power cycle to the keyboard, the harmonizing and distortion effects came back. Got the harmonizing turned off, but can't find where to disable the distortion effect. Attempted recordings sound horrible with all the distortion.

Any ideas on where to turn off the distortion effect for the mic input? Have tried everything I can find.

Or perhaps there is something else I'm not finding that is driving the mic input to distortion?

I'm a completely new/beginner musician, have only been playing the flugelhorn for 4 months and same with the keyboard, please forgive my lack of knowledge!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Offline overover

Re: PSR SX900 mic input problem
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 08:29:03 PM »
Hi rcoate,

welcome to the PSR Tutorial forum!

Your microphone (iSolo Prime) probably outputs not a signal with a usual Microphone level but it is probably more of a Line level.

Set the MIC/GUITAR switch (on the back of the SX900) to MIC position and turn the GAIN knob (next to the MIC/GUITAR INPUT socket) all the way down (to MIN position). Then test again:

On the "iSolo Prime" I would set both GAIN knobs ("Wireless" and "Master") at Center position (0 dB) for the first tests.

On the SX900 call up the Mic Setting display via [MENU] > [Mic Setting].

Adjust the [GAIN] knob on the rear panel while singing/playing into the microphone.
Adjust the [GAIN] knob so that the input level meter on the display lights in green or yellow.
Make sure that the meter does not light in orange or red, since this indicates that the input level is too high.

You can also check the input level on the SIGNAL lamp on the [MIC SETTING/VOCAL HARMONY] button. Make sure that the lamp does not light in orange.

If the input level is too high even though the GAIN knob is already set to MIN, you have to reduce the Output level on the Receiver device of the "iSolo Prime".

Please refer also to the SX900 Owner's Manual, pages 100/101.

Note: Make absolutely sure that you are using a normal (unbalanced) MONO jack cable (TS jack plugs on both ends). Balanced wired cables (TRS jack plugs) CANNOT be used on the SX900.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 06:32:48 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

rcoate

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 04:28:28 AM »
Hello Chris,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply!

I tried all the steps with adjusting the various gain levels and watching the input level meter, but the distortion level remains the same no matter what gain level I try.  At no time did the input level meter register anything near the yellow or orange, mostly it is barely even registering in the green.  I can turn the gain levels down so low that the flugelhorn can barely be heard, but the distortion is still there as much as ever.

Very strange.  It's as if the keyboard is adding a "distortion effect" to the mic input no matter what gain level is used.  Or maybe the wireless mic has gone bad.

Regards,

- Bob

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 06:25:51 AM »
... I tried all the steps with adjusting the various gain levels and watching the input level meter, but the distortion level remains the same no matter what gain level I try.  At no time did the input level meter register anything near the yellow or orange, mostly it is barely even registering in the green.  I can turn the gain levels down so low that the flugelhorn can barely be heard, but the distortion is still there as much as ever.

Very strange.  It's as if the keyboard is adding a "distortion effect" to the mic input no matter what gain level is used.  Or maybe the wireless mic has gone bad. ...

Thanks for your quick feedback, Bob!

Here are a few more thoughts on your problem:

First, please open the Mixer display on the SX900 (Panel page). Go to the "Panel 2" page and make sure the volume for the "Mic" part is not set too high.

The iSolo Prime Receiver device has several built-in effects. The currently activated effect may be responsible for the distortion. If you don't want any effect, turn the BLEND knob all the way to the left to position D (Dry). If you want to hear exactly how the currently set effect sounds, turn the BLEND further (or all the way to the right) to position W (wet).

Please also try switching the "RANGE" button to the other position. The transmission power of the wireless microphone may be too high if the Receiver is operated directly next to it.

Please also make sure that the Transmitter is properly powered (that the battery is well charged) and that the correct power adapter (7V-9V DC, 400mA minimum) or a well charged USB Power Bank (5V DC, 2A minimum) when using the USB power cable.

To be on the safe side, if I were you I would ...

1) ... test the microphone system on a normal amplifier or mixer with good speakers and ...

2) ... test a normal, dynamic vocal microphone on the SX900. Note: Here it is important that (as already mentioned) an unbalanced TS plug is used on the SX900. For normal microphones with a built-in "XLR-male" connection you need a cable "XLR-female plug to 6.3 mm TS ("Mono") plug".

P.S.
Please refer also to the SX900 Reference Manual, pages 93 - 99 (Mic Setting & Vocal Harmony Settings) to make sure that no effekt is activated for the Microphone Input on the SX900 (at least initially for test purposes).
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/downloads.html#product-tabs

I hope your problem can be solved soon!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 06:42:37 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

rcoate

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 04:13:12 PM »
Thanks for the additional suggestions.  Unfortunately the distortion remains. 

I don't currently have another microphone to try on the SX900, but I will see if I can acquire one for testing purposes.  At this point, it seems like a bad mic is the only possibility left.

- Bob

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 04:42:24 PM »
Distortion is almost always caused by too much gain some where along the line. Turn everything way down

Just a wild thought. Maybe the vocal harmony is turned on to a setting that is distorting your flugelhorn recording. Try turning off VH in Mic Setting
But I suppose that would be too easy of a fix, but sometimes it's the simple things... Good luck let us know if you find the solution
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

rcoate

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 11:44:09 PM »
Thanks, Larry.  If I turn all of the various gain controls way down, the flugelhorn becomes so faint as to barely be audible.  But the distortion remains.  I did turn off the vocal harmony setting, which stopped the harmonizing, but didn't help with the distortion.

However, I think I have solved this mystery, or at least found an important clue.  I purchased another (less expensive) wireless mic system, and it works beautifully.  No distortion, as long as I take care to keep the input level out of the orange and red on the level meter.   So it would seem to be the iSolo system at fault.

Thanks to all for the help.

- Bob

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 04:01:05 PM »
Nice that you figured it out. 
Maybe you could share a flugelhorn /SX900 recording?  8)
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 05:19:15 PM »
Yes, do that! Glad the problem is solved!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

rcoate

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 07:48:22 PM »
I'm afraid I'm a very long way from being able to produce a whole song!  Did I mention I'm a complete beginner, only at it for four months (both flugelhorn and keyboard)?  I do have a short snippet, not intended to be a real song in any way, just me fooling around on the flugelhorn and testing the technical setup.  Hoping this isn't too embarrassing:

https://soundcloud.com/bob-coate/bigband-fl1/s-KYCKI8gSP6n

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 11:17:05 PM »
 Sounds like a seasoned pro  :)  Good job Bob.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2021, 11:26:28 PM »
Hello Bob!
1. GREAT playing! So please don't hesitate to post songs here. Love that flugelhorn!
2. The sound was very good. Too bad you could not use the intended mic, but the one
   you use now is very good. The sound is clear.
3. I had a good time :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

rcoate

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 03:50:19 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  Hopefully I will have something "real" to post in the not-too-distant future.