Author Topic: Loading just one pack into Genos is driving me nuts  (Read 4289 times)

Offline ugawoga

Loading just one pack into Genos is driving me nuts
« on: February 28, 2021, 02:50:16 PM »
Hi

I am going stir crazy over this as i have tried countless ways to just get one pack into the Genos 2 updated

I loaded al packers into Yem ;D . well it seems like a bunch of weird animal to me Lol!! ;D ;D  PPF's/CPF's in ok.

The Info 27 file is also loaded up.
I save all packs  with green tics  to save Pack install file

So in Yem now i have cpf/ppf  packs  and a Cqi file pack install data on Usb

Now, i open expansion manager and try to load the cqi file and what do i get!!!!  :(
More problems.

Cannot execute quick installation. Install with a full Installer (.ppi/ .cpi).

I just cannot get over this simple problem.
A rubic cube is easier to solve IMO.

I must be missing something very simple , but i cannot see it.

All the best
John :) :(
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 03:42:52 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline overover

Re: Loading just one pack into Genos is driving me nuts
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 04:07:45 PM »
Hi John,

in the YEM, click on "Save as Pack Install File" button again, and change the FILE TYPE from "Pack Quick Install File *.cqi" to "Pack Install File  *.cpi".

Then save your .cpi file to the USB stick and install it on the Genos.

P.S.
In the future (when you want to install additional Expansion content) you can also use the "Pack QUICK Install" method. But for a first installation you must use the standard "Pack Installation" which creates a .cpi file. (If no protected .cpf Packs are involved but only unprotected .ppf Packs, select the file type ".ppi" for the Pack Install file.)

Note: Make sure that ALL Packs that you want to have on the Genos are selected in YEM before you create a new Pack Install file (even if you are working with "Pack QUICK Install").

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 04:19:11 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 04:37:27 PM »
HiChris

This is driving me nuts.
I went back to square one and reloaded the packs back in (12inall).
reloaded the informtion27file.
What i did was add another pack and pressed the quick instalation and then it said  load the full file which was annoying.

I did get a succsessful load this time after renaming the file on usb to pack name and it went ok.
The trouble now is that i did not keep tics on all other packs and just landed up with just  the new pack. Oh!! SAUSAGES!! ;D :P ::) :-[

So if i untick everything then save the new pack to quick install and name file what the pack is. then tic all the existing packs again before press the load  up the quick pack install renamed file.
I see what you are saying and will look for the full stop at end of  the save type.
Hope i get some luck now .

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 04:40:57 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 04:46:13 PM »
Hi John,

as mentioned before, you must always select ALL the Packs/contents that you want to have on the Genos (not only the new Pack(s) when using the Quick Installation method!). This is the trick. ;)

And the whole thing has nothing to do with the .n27 Instrument Info file. You don't need to re-import the .n27 file in this case.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 04:55:19 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 05:03:24 PM »
YEM is a pain in the b...!!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 05:26:51 PM »
Hi Toril
I totally agree with you

I reinstalled all packs which took and age and i just want to put packs in when i make my own sample packs.
Yes, i put the info 27 update in as i have the latestest and all packs are in yem and loaded on my Genos
From here i am going around in circles.
I got it to work once , but all the other packs went missing.
I understand that the others should of been ticked.
Now if i save a pack install do i have to untick all the others and leave the one i want ticked???
Once on my usb and renamed the pack install to the pack name i assume i have got to tick all the rest again
When i take this route
The same comment comes up time after time------    Cannot execute quick installation. Install with a full Installer (.ppi/ .cpi).
When saving a pack install i only have the one option on the dropdown which is the quick install instead of the full one. A common sense judgement.
After some time now the Genos lights up yellow once more . It was always grey before.
This is an abortion trying to load packs and i have been here all day trying to get this to work without 100% success.

All the best
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 09:20:26 PM by ugawoga »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 05:37:40 PM »
Hi John,

as mentioned before, you must always select ALL the Packs/contents that you want to have on the Genos (not only the new Pack(s) when using the Quick Installation method!). This is the trick. ;)

And the whole thing has nothing to do with the .n27 Instrument Info file. You don't need to re-import the .n27 file in this case.

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris
Ok i have all packs installed on my Genos .
I have got another pack to install
I have all packs ticked in Yem and imported the new pack in with a tick also.

I then Go to save pack install.
I have two options ------------------Quick install and full install cqi.
So i use Quick install
I then take my usb out and put that into the Genos
Go to expansion and press install pack and i get the same as usual message come up     " Cannot execute quick installation. Install with a full Installer (.ppi/ .cpi). "

I am at wits end with this Chris . It is a simple thing that i am not picking up or curtains for my brain.
I have tried again and again . Always same outcome Cannot execute-----etc
I can navigate easilly through Cubase 11 , but this is a conundrum

All the Best
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:52:12 PM by ugawoga »

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 06:00:43 PM »
Hi John,

actually, it should work in the way you described in your last post.

Please make sure that the latest Firmware version (2.02) is installed on the Genos and that you are using the latest YEM version (2.7.0).

P. S.
I do not recommend changing the name of a Pack Install file retrospectively (when it is already on the USB stick).

P.P.S.
I recently found that the YEM in some cases cannot properly overwrite an existing Pack Install file on a USB stick. So it is best to manually delete existing .cpi or .cqi files from the stick before saving a new Pack Install file to the stick.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 06:12:44 PM by overover »

Offline ckobu

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 06:09:25 PM »
Hi John,

I have good advice. Make yourself a cappuccino, sit in an armchair and start this video. Be sure to include English subtitles. I hope the video will help you understand how this mystical QUICK works.

https://youtu.be/xj8Anf4B3sY

regards, casper
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: terryB

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 06:27:01 PM »
Hi Chris

I do have all the latest updates and info file
I got a new stick and formatted it for Genos and i get the same again.

All the best
John
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 08:34:42 PM by ugawoga »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 06:55:25 PM »
Hi
I sat down Casper and had an instant Columbian coffee and cogitated
Sandra's Nespresso coffee knocks my head off and it goes into a spiral wizz!!
Also the Genos can have the same effect!! ;D

The good news is that your video worked for me and i will be over later for the like
Thank you and Chris for your patience and help.
We will have to get Toril going slowly over the video as well.
So it is the grounding of the base file that is cruicial and keeps in the memory for all time and when you add a file they have to all be in the correct order.
This is not great for the untidy worker!! ;D
Or, if you have memory loss :P
I have named the files in order and will stick rigidly to that. Also backup.
It is always the little thing that can stump you and we tend to think too deep about what we see. Could be me  a little thick as a brick!!! ;D

Big thanks for your help

All the best
All the best
John
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 09:21:01 PM by ugawoga »

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 08:19:48 PM »
Hi John,

possibly you have simply changed "too much" in the YEM since the last Pack Installation, so that a QUICK Installation is not possible at this point in time.

The YEM normally "remembers" the status of the last Pack Installation (gray area in the bar). If this is the case, you can add Packs and / or deselect previous contents and then use the QUICK Installation method to bring the Genos up to the desired new status.

In some cases, however, the YEM can get "mixed up", ie "forgot" the last state installed on the instrument. Then you HAVE to do a "Full" Installation again.

If the problem with the QUICK Installation persists, I recommend that you first generate a "Full" Pack Install file (.cpi) and install it on the Genos. In the future you should be able to work successfully with the QUICK Installation method.

P.S.
In my experience, the QUICK method brings a time advantage especially when a relatively large number of Packs are installed. If you only work with a few Packs anyway, it doesn't take much longer with the "Full" Installation.

P.P.S.
You can avoid the whole "clutter" with "Full" or "Quick" Installation if you simply work with the Wi-Fi method. To do this, connect the Genos to your local Wi-Fi network in "Infrastructure" mode (your PC must be in the same network of course) and click, if necessary, in YEM on "Install Target > + > Search Instruments". A network symbol should then be displayed on the Genos Install Target button. Instead of creating a Pack Install File, you simply click the "Send to Instrument" button. :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 08:27:02 PM by overover »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 08:33:56 PM »
Hi Chris
It is solved now as in my explanation above.
I would like to thank you for all of your help :) and also Casper for the great video

I had to put a base file in as explained in Caspers video
Named it as first file .
After that add the packs in 1,2,3, order  and bingo.
It all may have been because i got things in the wrong order!! ::)
I did find that quick install is not that fast, but is a lot quicker that installing all packs.
i know how to do the wi fi full install as once you start it  there is no going back . Takes about four cup of coffee's and a walk around the block. 8) "If it is sunny"!! :P ::)
I am sure this conversation will help some others as if things get in the wrong order, you are a Christmas Turkey, well stuffed. :D :-X

Big Thanks

John :) Happy Bunny now!!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 08:40:47 PM by ugawoga »

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 08:51:34 PM »
Thank you for the detailed feedback, John!

I was interrupted several times while writing my last post, so I hadn't seen that you had solved the problem in the meantime. ;)

By the way: If the Wi-Fi method is used, a "Full" Installation is not always carried out, because the Quick Install method is used automatically if this is possible. (This even works with the Tyros5, while the Quick Install method via USB stick does NOT work with the T5.)

However, one should not "mix" the Wi-Fi and USB stick methods. I basically work with the Wi-Fi Installation method (on Genos and T5).

All the best,
Chris

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 09:20:36 PM »
Hi Chris
The reason why  i used the stick method for the install of single packs is because every time i used wi-fi, all i ever got was the full install and did not see any cqi information or quick install options.
It has been a long day trying to get this solved.
I have Sample Robot and intend in getting a lot of vst sound over to the Genos in the very near future.

all the best

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 09:26:45 PM »
Anytime I want to add a pack, I find it easier to just tic on all the packs that I  want and use full install (.cpi)
Takes longer, but gives me time for an expresso  ;D and it works.
Yes, Yamaha needs to simplify this software.  :-\
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline ckobu

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 09:43:41 PM »
My experience with using wifi is as follows. When I make changes to just a few waveforms, I always use Wifi and it never lasts longer than a few minutes.
But I’ve noticed that modifying say 10 or more data always uses loading from scratch.
So WIFI is fine when we do testing for a couple of things but for bigger changes it is better to do the Quick method via USB.

John, I’m glad the video helped and I wish you success in your further experimentation and work with YEM.
Okay, instead of Turkish coffee you can open a good beer.  ;D
Watch my video channel

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 11:22:34 AM »
Hi Casper

Yes all worked nicely and i am still waiting for Sandra to make me a Nespresso Arpeggio coffee
This is suposed to be an  Americano which is my favourite, otherwise Columbian coffee.
So the question now is if i take a pack out, will i have to go back to the beginning and make another incremental series of packs.
Otherwise just keep adding to what i have.
Yamaha should take note of this and implement a better way of loading packs into the next Genos, especially if it will be having a larger memory.
Otherwise we will have to go into a Cryogenic chamber and wake up in ten years time to a cold cup of coffee. ::)
Well, now to back everything up and carry on.
Rather have glass of whisky and ginger ale.

All the best
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:28:56 AM by ugawoga »

Offline ckobu

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 12:08:29 PM »
Hi John,

my opinion is that Yamaha does not have a good explanation and that is the main reason why people run into problems.
If Yamaha made good instructions and systematized them in the right way, this would solve many doubts and dissatisfactions that arise in users.
It remains for us to study and find the logic imagined by Yamaha engineers on our own.

Like I said somewhere not at the end of the video, I only use the QUICK method to test the material.
When I have finally arranged everything I need, I re-create the entire Installation Package (CasperBasic01.cpi).
I don't need the old QUICK files anymore and I'm deleting them. When
I want to use the QUICK method again, I start with this CasperBasic01.cpi package.

It is important to emphasize that an appropriate backup of what is in the YEM should be made on a regular basis.
This is a topic I described in another video, so I recommend you take a look at it.

https://youtu.be/PmqB_FtxapQ

regards, casper
Watch my video channel

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 07:10:03 PM »
Hi
Thanks very much for all of your help Casper
I have gone backup crazy now!
All the best

Offline torben

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2021, 07:43:46 PM »
Hi guys

I am confused. I just upgraded from YEM 2.6.0 to YEM 2.8.0.

I havent used YEM for 2. years but I have a lot of old packages stored - also on my Genos. So what do I do now if I want to import one - 1 - new pack? Can I import that 1 package alone or do I need to reimport all the old packages AND the new one the first time???

Kind regards

Torben
Tyros 5 was my choice - now it is only Genos1 !

Offline ckobu

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2021, 07:52:45 PM »
YEM 2.8.0 has several problems and would not be recommended to use.
https://youtu.be/mPnkJZlrFkY
Install V2.7.0 and perform the installation with it.
I suggest you perform a complete installation of all the packages and those that are now on the keyboard.

Only one Package can be upgraded, but you should follow some rules, which are described in the video.
https://youtu.be/xj8Anf4B3sY
Watch my video channel