Author Topic: Questions about expansion packs for Yamaha Tyros5  (Read 6912 times)

akse0435

Questions about expansion packs for Yamaha Tyros5
« on: February 26, 2021, 09:38:47 PM »
Hello,

I hope I'm posting this on the right forum.

I have some questions about expansion packs for Tyros5. Firstly, I bought an 1 GB flash-memory-module for installation of expansion packs, and it Works just fine. However, I have almost 3 GB of expansion packs, all compricing of voices that I really like, so it's so frostrating for me to being limited to 1GB. So, is there any way of getting more than 1 GB memory to install expansion packs on? For example, I changed the installed 500 GB harddrive to an SSD, so that's essentially flash-memory too. Could I somehow get the Tyros5 to install the expansion packs on the SSD, thereby hgetting much more Space?

My second question:
Before I bought the Tyros5, I was using a PSR-S775, but when I changed to Tyros5, I noticed that some sounds were missing, and I read about it in post 7 of this topic:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=51275.0

The post menchons, that some of the missing sounds are in packages for PSR-S970, but how do I get this packages installed on Tyros5? It doesn't seem to be possible with Expansion Manager.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards:
Aksel Christoffersen

Argento

Re: Questions about expansion packs for Yamaha Tyros5
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 10:32:58 PM »
I don't have a Tyros, but, i presume you can use the "USB to Host" port , to attach a more capacity (say 8/16 Gb) usd stick in that port ?
But on that 500Gb space you should be able to save there, (in theory at least, yamaha makes odd choises firmware speaking)

akse0435

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 10:42:37 PM »
You may be right, but it says, that the harddrive is only for files, like midi- and recorded wav-files. I haven't found a way to save expansion packs on it, but it sure would be very nice if it was possible.

Argento

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 10:56:09 PM »
You may be right, but it says, that the harddrive is only for files, like midi- and recorded wav-files. I haven't found a way to save expansion packs on it, but it sure would be very nice if it was possible.

Maybe using a USB Stick works, at least i can save to there on my EW410 that its a lot inferior than the Tyros (remember that the stick must be formatted from the yamaha keyboard, if you put an already formatted usb stick (at least on windows) , odd things happens

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 10:59:09 PM »
No, you can't use a different kind of memory to store wave data, it must be on the expansion card.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 11:06:44 PM »
Sorry but your ONLY option is to buy a bigger expansion memory, and I think 2GB is the largest available.

You simply cannot use USB or HD for expansion wave memory not on Yamaha keyboards.
Genos

Offline deepsae48

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 11:10:57 PM »
Mutec :   2048 MB (FMC-07)  for Tyros 5

akse0435

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 11:14:46 PM »
Thank you so much for that information. I thought that the largest memory Card was 1 GB. So I'll try and buy a 2 GB modul. I'm sure it'll make Things easier. Thank you all for the replies. And just to be sure, there isn't a Card larger than 2 GB, is there?

Argento

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 11:39:21 PM »
Sorry but your ONLY option is to buy a bigger expansion memory, and I think 2GB is the largest available.

You simply cannot use USB or HD for expansion wave memory not on Yamaha keyboards.

Thats was the things i was talking about with odd yamaha choices on firmware... why in **** can't save to a 500Gb SSD (or more), and limited that function to only a propietary (and really expensive) small memory card?... some software developers really deserves a kick on their arse...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 01:20:42 AM by Argento »

akse0435

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 12:06:10 AM »
Thats was the things i was talking about with odd yamaha choices on firmware... why in **** can't sabe to a 500Gb SSD (or more), and limited that function to only a propietary (and really expensive) small memory card?... some software developers really deserves a kick on their arse...
I totally agre with you, though I suspect there might be a very tecnical reason to why they're doing it. But I'll be buying a 2 GB module, so that problem seems to be resolved for now.

Do anyone know an answer to my second question?

Argento

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 01:26:42 AM »
I totally agre with you, though I suspect there might be a very tecnical reason to why they're doing it. But I'll be buying a 2 GB module, so that problem seems to be resolved for now.

Do anyone know an answer to my second question?

I don't want to be a evil minded (thats the correct engligh expression, right) , but i think the "technical reason" is more a "sales department" reason, to sell more, for a lot more money  )a DDR4 Sodimm 2Gb module sells for USD15 ... that special stick for USD385 .. .over 25 times more :) ... business... (for me at least XD)

Offline wersianer

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 02:25:33 PM »
In some posts, RAM is confused with hard disk / stick memory. As long as Yamaha doesn't offer hard drive streaming, we'll have to live with limited RAM. The T5's operating system cannot manage more than 2 GB ... even if someone invented a 4 GB chip. With the abundance of sounds on offer, even 2 GB is not much, especially when it comes to memory-guzzling piano sounds. For the time being there is only the possibility to live with the 2 GB and possibly to completely delete the memory and reload with other sounds. It is essential to name any registrations accordingly, otherwise the chaos is perfect.

akse0435

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 04:31:22 PM »
In some posts, RAM is confused with hard disk / stick memory. As long as Yamaha doesn't offer hard drive streaming, we'll have to live with limited RAM. The T5's operating system cannot manage more than 2 GB ... even if someone invented a 4 GB chip. With the abundance of sounds on offer, even 2 GB is not much, especially when it comes to memory-guzzling piano sounds. For the time being there is only the possibility to live with the 2 GB and possibly to completely delete the memory and reload with other sounds. It is essential to name any registrations accordingly, otherwise the chaos is perfect.

Thank you, that's what I thought. A side question, do you, or someone else for that matter, have some recomendations for a very good grand piano sound for Tyros5. The build-in grand piano sound is almost the only sound I'm a Little disapointed about, taking into consiteration that Yamaha them selves has made other and greater piano sounds for other instruments.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 09:43:32 PM »
Have you tried to give a little more reverb and depth to the piano using voice set?
Toril S

and PSR-47.

akse0435

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 10:19:21 PM »
Have you tried to give a little more reverb and depth to the piano using voice set?

Yes, I've tried that, but I just don't like it very much. The samples are very short, so there seems to be a lot of looping going on, and one sample is used for three keys. Even the upright piano sound is samplet better than that. Atleast one sample on that only has two keys insteat of three. And there's also only one velocity layer on the grand piano sound, and a filter is used to make the sound brighter as you increse the velocity. Also, I just find it disapointing with sutch a technically bad sample of a grand piano, when I know Yamaha has better samples, even back when the Tyros5 was released. Back then, I know for sure that they had samples with each key sampled, and atleast three velocity layers. I own a Yamaha P-515 digital piano, which has a sample of a Yamaha CFX, with 5 velocity layers. That sounds much better than the grand piano sound in the Tyros5, but that's of course just my upinion.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 10:23:48 PM by akse0435 »

Offline wersianer

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 08:46:23 AM »
Thank you, that's what I thought. A side question, do you, or someone else for that matter, have some recomendations for a very good grand piano sound for Tyros5. The build-in grand piano sound is almost the only sound I'm a Little disapointed about, taking into consiteration that Yamaha them selves has made other and greater piano sounds for other instruments.

The question of what a good grand piano sound is depends very much on your own taste. I like the Piano Dream Pack very much.

akse0435

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 10:51:04 AM »
The question of what a good grand piano sound is depends very much on your own taste. I like the Piano Dream Pack very much.

Where do you get this pack? I did a search, and can't seem to find it. I'm looking for a expansion pack with a sound of a good grand piano, like a good sample of a Steinway or something, prefferably with all keys sampled with multible velocity layers.

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 11:34:09 AM »
... I'm looking for a expansion pack with a sound of a good grand piano, like a good sample of a Steinway or something, prefferably with all keys sampled with multible velocity layers.

Hi Aksel,

you can try the Steinway D-274 Voices from Francesco Massa:

Gran Coda (Main pack v1.10 total size = 330 MB, or PSR-S pack total size = 96 MB)
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,49597.msg388297.html#msg388297

"Reduced Memory" versions of Gran Coda:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,49597.msg449330.html#msg449330

In Francesco Massa's "NewYear Pack" you can find 10 Steinway Voices, "meticulously designed to ensure excellent quality in very small size":
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,57971.msg449447.html#msg449447

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

akse0435

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 11:20:05 PM »
Hi all,

Chris, thank you very much for the suggestion. I installed the pack, and I very much like the piano sound, though I find i a bit too mellow. I find it a bit hard to play powerful Classical with, though it's a very good piano sound.

Well, just for fun, I made an audio comparrison between the Grand Coda, and a 122 GB virtual piano called Garritan CFX, which I have installed my computer. I made a midi-file on my Yamaha P-515, where I played some Classical, played it through boath piano sounds, and used some instruments from Tyros5 to help me with the intro.

Grand Coda audio:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydfteyhlw9mce7k/Grieg%20-%20Piano%20Concerto%20%28Grand%20Coda%29.wav?dl=1

Garritan CFX audio:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ruxs1iktkt3xu7e/Grieg%20-%20Piano%20Concerto%20%28Garritan%20CFX%29.wav?dl=1

I know this isn't a fair test, it is just meant as an experiment.

But thank you all for replies. I think I'm good set for now.

Best regards:
Aksel Christoffersen

Offline overover

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 12:16:48 AM »
Thank you for your detailed feedback, Aksel!

By the way: You can also use the "soundfont" format (.sf2). Here you can download many good Piano soundfonts:
>>> https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/#h.p_r9vVWZK7hzSu

And here are some older ones (like "Yamaha-C5-Salamander-JNv5.1"):
>>> https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/#h.p_6z6msGV6lYyK

To import an .sf2 file into YEM you can use "Import Pack", or you can import it into a new, empty Pack or into another existing Pack using "Import Content".

P.S.
If the "Gran Coda" Voice is too mellow for you with normal touch on the Tyros5, you could try to slightly adjust the "Touch Sense Offset" parameter in the Voice Set (Common page), so that a slightly higher velocity is sent to the sound generation with a normal touch. (Please refer also to the Tyros5 Reference Manual, pages 12/13.)

You can save this as a "User Voice" file then from the Voice Set. The only thing is that such a User Voice can only be used in Keyboard Parts (Left, Right1-3), but NOT in Styles or MIDI files.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 10:35:43 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

akse0435

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 09:07:11 AM »
Thank you Chris for the information, I'll look after some good soundfonts.

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 03:31:01 PM »
Hello  Akse0435,

The Yamaha memory modules are only available in 512 MB and 1024 MB, the only manufacturer that offers a 2048 MB flash memory expansion module ref :  FMC07 exists, it is manufactured by Mutec. It is distributed in Europe by: https://www.thomann.de/fr/mutec_fmc_07.htm

Best Regards

Jean-Pierre 33
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 08:01:34 AM by Jean-Pierre 33 »

The following users thanked this post: nonfiniscequi

akse0435

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2021, 05:10:06 PM »
Thank you, I've already bought it, and am looking forward to it's arrival.

akse0435

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2021, 06:39:20 PM »
Hi,

If anyone is interested, I found a website called cms-sounddesign.de, which Sells excelent pianos and other sounds for Yamaha keyboard. I specially like their Grand Piano 1, which is a Steinway D-274, and their Grand Piano 3, which is a Bösendorfer Imperial 290. They also makes other sounds like drums and organs. Here is a link to their expansion packs for Tyros5:
http://www.cms-sounddesign.de/software-expansions-yamaha-tyros5_en.html

I haven't bought any of them yet, but I will, as soon as I have enough Money.

Sometime ago, I also found and bought this product, called 3 grand pianos:
https://www.phantasmusic.com/grandpianos

It includes a Bösendorfer, a Kawai, and a Steinway grand piano. The Bösendorfer and Kawai sound fairly good, but the Steinway just sounds too old to my liking. However, all three pianos have the big problem, that when you release a note, it will take some time to ring out, so it's impossible to play staccato notes with these pianos. However, they Works a litle better for very legato music. If anyone here knows a method to remove the long decay time from the pianos, please let me know, because I find that very irritating, when the pianos otherwise sound good.

Best regards:
Aksel Christoffersen

Offline Toril S

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2021, 07:26:31 PM »
Thanks Aksel. I just wonder: Are you from Norway?
Toril S

and PSR-47.

akse0435

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2021, 07:34:28 PM »
No, but I'm from Denmark, which is a Scandinavian country like Norway. But as a side note, my all time favorite Classical composer, Edvard Grieg, was norwegian, so I have great respect for Norway and it's music.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2021, 09:45:31 PM »
Aksel is a very common name in Norway too, that's why I wondered :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

akse0435

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2021, 10:00:32 PM »
Yeah, makes sens.