Author Topic: Does replacing the T5 HD to SSD increase speed?  (Read 2852 times)

Offline chony

Does replacing the T5 HD to SSD increase speed?
« on: February 25, 2021, 04:14:23 PM »
I have a ton of styles and that extra second it takes to load them off the HD often means I miss a transition.

I recently upgraded my iMac have an SSD lying around - would installing it in the T5 speed up the style load?

Offline Bill

Re: Does replacing the T5 HD to SSD increase speed?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 05:17:10 PM »
In one word NO

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 04:54:24 AM »
It will work, but it wil not give you extra speed. Also, the T5 operating system does not support the TRIM command, so deleted files on the SSD will not release their used space and eventually the SSD will have no free space left.

Styles are normally quite small, so why not use a USB flash drive? For loading of small files, a flash drive will be faster than a HDD. I've got thousands of styles (.sty) on my 32 GB USB drive and still just a few 100 MB's in use.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 08:42:51 AM »
T5-76...I use USB Flash for most of my styles. My styles load within 5 seconds...How much faster do you want !!!
DGX670

Offline chony

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 02:31:11 PM »
T5-76...I use USB Flash for most of my styles. My styles load within 5 seconds...How much faster do you want !!!

I want 1ms. Just like the on board styles!  ;D

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 05:23:01 PM »
I have a ton of styles and that extra second it takes to load them off the HD often means I miss a transition.

I recently upgraded my iMac have an SSD lying around - would installing it in the T5 speed up the style load?

I  had this problem for a few, but not many, styles. To solve the problem, I put these styles in the User drive. It's as fast as you're going to get.

Your registrations can easily remember where the style is, so the User drive is your best solution.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Genos!

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 04:18:27 AM »
Would installing it in the T5 speed up the style load?

I don't know that the people who are answering have ever used a SSD with a T5.
Perhaps they have, and perhaps they haven't. I wouldn't ask... it's laying around.

You may have to reformat it, but you can back it up before you try and use it.
Most SSDs are faster than flash drives and cards.

Why not try it and you tell us what you think? Inquiring minds what to know.  ;)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 12:31:34 PM »
SSD drives not recommended for Yamaha keyboards. Stick to what comes with keyboard.