Author Topic: Any way to Add a second Voice for the Left Parts?  (Read 4538 times)

PSRTom

Any way to Add a second Voice for the Left Parts?
« on: February 13, 2021, 04:09:59 PM »
Hi Guys,
I am relatively new to keyboards.  I have an PSR SX700.  Other than Free Styles, I am not able to play with Styles, which require the skill to match the tempo.
Is there a way to add a second voice to the left part? Or a way to create a new voice for left parts, that is a combination of voices? Any ideas?
Thanks for your thoughts,
Tom K.

Offline mikf

Re: Any way to Add a second Voice for the Left Parts?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 04:34:00 PM »
What do you mean by “left parts”?
Do you mean the style parts?
mike

PSRTom

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 04:47:45 PM »
What do I mean by Left Parts?
The SX700/900 has four keyboard part buttons for manual performances: LEFT, RIGHT 1, RIGHT 2 and RIGHT 3, and each part has
one Voice.   R 1, 2, and 3 can be layered.  Want to know if there is a way to layer second voice to LEFT.

Offline hans1966

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 04:49:15 PM »
Hi Mike, I think the Tom refers to the possibility of combining two voices in the left hand.
this is not possible since the left part is reserved for manual bass.
on the right side you have three voices
(R1, R2, R3) but on the left side there is only one voice (L).

Greethings.   Hans
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 04:50:39 PM by hans1966 »
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline hans1966

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 04:58:46 PM »
Hi Tom, you can combine the three right voices (RI, R2, R3) Even divide the keyboard into three parts. You just have to go to the MENU, select the item "Split / Fingering" and select its setting. in the video below i'm playing a song that has these three divisions (R1, R2 and Acc) hope this helps a bit.   greetings hans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOWU8OlpLfE
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

PSRTom

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 05:05:41 PM »
Can't a new voice be created that is a combination of two voices, that could then be used for the LEFT part?
I would like to add a little more "spice" to the LEFT voice.

Offline vanzee

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 05:14:21 PM »
If not satisfied with the voices in kbd. it is possible to make/create new or combination from voices in YEM.
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 05:27:58 PM »
... I am relatively new to keyboards.  I have an PSR SX700.  Other than Free Styles, I am not able to play with Styles, which require the skill to match the tempo.
Is there a way to add a second voice to the left part? Or a way to create a new voice for left parts, that is a combination of voices? ...

Hi Tom,

there is only one LEFT Part, so you can use only one Voice in this section of the keyboard.

With Tyros5 or Genos, it is possible to make a so called "Custom Voices" based on Preset Voice Elements (using the Voice Editor of the Expansion Manager (YEM) on the computer). This way you can combine more than one Voice in a single Custom Voice. (Yamaha Voices can contain up to 8 "Elements".)

Unfortunately, with PSR-S or PSR-SX models it is NOT possible to make such Custom Voices based on Preset Voices. The only way to combine two different Voices in one single Voice with the SX700 would be making a Custom Voice that is based only on external Samples. You can e.g. take an Expansion Voice of any .ppf Pack (NOT .cpf!) and add an additional "Element" using the desired Samples. But to do this you would need to study the topic of "Creating Expansion Voices" in depth beforehand.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 07:52:44 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 06:45:58 PM »
I admit I am not sure what he means, but if he does not have the skills to play along with his rh, I really doubt he wants to play along with his left.  I think he needs to clarify what he is actually trying to achieve.
Mike

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 06:55:57 PM »
It is possible, by connecting midi out to midi in, setting up the midi transmit/receive properly, and using the song parts. In this way you can layer up to 16 sounds if you want 😊
Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 07:31:43 PM »
It is possible, by connecting midi out to midi in, setting up the midi transmit/receive properly, and using the song parts. In this way you can layer up to 16 sounds if you want 😊

Yes, I actually wanted to mention this possibility earlier. ;)

@PSRTom
There are several different ways to work with such a "MIDI Loop". For example you could do the following:

- Load the Voice you want to add to the Left Voice into the Right 1 Part. Use "MIDI Quick Recording" to record just one single note with the Voice of Right 1. (Switch off Right 2/3.) Save the MIDI file using the name of the Voice used.

- When this little MIDI file is loaded, the Voice is called up in SONG Part 1 (Port1 Ch1). You can of course also memorize this MIDI file ("Song") to Registrations.

- Use a DIN MIDI cable to connect the MIDI OUT socket to the MIDI IN socket on the SX700.

- Press [Menu] > MIDI to open the MIDI display, touch the name of the current MIDI template (usually "All Parts") and select "MIDI Off".

- Go to "Transmit" tab, find the Part "Left" and select "Port1 Ch1" in the column "Channel".

- Go to "Receive" tab, and set "Port1 Ch1" (in the first line of the list) to "Song" in the column "Part".

- Touch "Save" and save the modified MIDI template in the User drive under a meaningful name such as "MIDILoopLeft".

- Make sure that your new MIDI template is SELECTED now, then close the MIDI display.

- Now load the little MIDI file (that calls up the second Voice for the Left Part), and while playing in the Left section of the keyboard, adjust the Volume of the additional Left Voice using the SONG Volume control in the Mixer.

- It is best to memorize the current Panel settings to a Registration button now (and finally save the Registration Bank file).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 07:51:37 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 08:41:55 PM »
Tom, maybe playing with a freestyle is a solution. These  styles do not use drum patterns the way other styles do. You just play a chord with your left hand, snd you get a full orchestral sound. Freestyles can be found usually in the Movie&show style folders of many keyboards. Just downlooud from PSR TUTORIAL
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 08:43:17 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

PSRTom

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 09:43:33 PM »
I hope my replies do not sound like I am trying to be contrary and contentious.

Thanks for the suggestion about Free Play Styles. I think they are great for newcomers such as myself.  I have collected 18 different Free Play styles. But, in my opinion, they do not have the flexibility and type of sound given by combining my choice of instrument voices.

Thanks for the suggestions about Expansion Voices.  However, From what I can see, the expansion voices really do not meet my needs.  I would characterize EVs as being supplemental, broad categories (Europe, Russia, etc.) and not having the selection of instruments I would like. For example, I did not see any piano voices, which I use as a primary LEFT keyboard part.

Thanks for the suggestion of a using a Midi Song Loop.  This is going to sound lame. But, unfortunately, having never taken up music before and only playing the keyboard for 6 months, I lack the skill to follow a song, Midi or otherwise.  Based on my limited knowledge, it seems like being able to mix different fundamental instrument voices seems to be my only feeble option.  Thanks all for your thoughts.

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 10:13:32 PM »
Tom
Got to say, I am even more puzzled by what you want to do. There are many piano voices that can be used anywhere on the keyboard, left, right, whatever. And you can also change the voices on the free play style fairly simply. The style can be edited to whatever voices you want. But that is what the style plays, not what you play.
Generally speaking, on an arranger, you play just chords in your left hand to drive the style, even a freestyle, is this is what you are doing? Or are you trying to play this like a conventional piano? Maybe even trying to follow a piano score with a lh part?? If so you can change to full keyboard mode and have piano type voices - in fact any voice or voice combination - across the whole keyboard. But that would not be typically how you play an arranger. It's typically lh chords, rh melody. 
Maybe you can tell us exactly what it is you are playing in your lh.
And I hate to point out the obvious, but if the problem is that you cannot play the rh part in time, no matter how slow the tempo, there is really no way round that. You can play single finger chords to make things easier on your lh, but at the end of the day you still have to play the melody in your right. You just have to practice until you can do that.
Mike

PSRTom

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 10:24:00 PM »
Another way of expressing my goal, is to say I would like to create a chord voice consisting of say, a piano and  Butterstrings Chorus.  Just another way of creating a different sound. It is possible to be curious and creative and still lack keyboarding skills.

PSRTom

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 10:52:18 PM »
Thanks again for your suggestions.

I got an approximation to the flexibility I wanted by using the LEFT keyboard part and editing (Channel On/Off) Free Styles.
Again, thanks for your suggestions.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2021, 10:53:09 PM »
Obviously it is I am puzzled. Hm... Still not sure what you want. You have 3 rh voices. and can play them together.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2021, 11:39:59 PM »
Tom
Great if you have worked something out for yourself.
 I think some of the problems in understanding were coming from your terminology, like left part. There is a left voice which you play and there are style parts, but what is a left part? If you indeed mean left voice, then all the voices including the pre programmed layered voices like piano/orchestral strings are available to be selected as a left voice. If you want to be able to select and mix two completely different voices simultaneously for your left voice so you can mix and create your own layered voice, then this is not easily possible. There may be some complicated work arounds as people have suggested, but nothing at the simple click of a button.
There is not generally a lot of posting related specifically to the left voice use, because the left voice is not seen as a big contributor to the overall performance. Style arrangement, style voices and RH voices are really what matters. Some people do not even use a lh voice.
Mike 

tyros5psr

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 05:23:26 AM »
Thanks again for your suggestions.

I got an approximation to the flexibility I wanted by using the LEFT keyboard part and editing (Channel On/Off) Free Styles.
Again, thanks for your suggestions.

thank you for sharing your very impressive and interesting ideas.
in any case in case.
here is if it is in the right place gift 200 style freeplay..style extension .FPS... me that's how I do I use the free play and I calculate the on off tracks of the style in the left hand.piano,,arpege,,chords,,
here if it helps.check duplicates but be careful, different words,
long live music

styles freeplay
 accompagnement
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18ixiHomTCHqDWSibxv_F-j9jNuybWv-7?usp=sharing

tyros5psr
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 05:29:40 AM by tyros5psr »

PSRTom

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 11:46:35 AM »
Tyros,
Thank you for your generosity.
Tom

Offline RONBO

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2021, 03:30:10 PM »
Tyros 5 psr

Thanks for those great freestyles.  They sound wonderful on my tyros 5 as well..

Thanks Again

Regards

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2021, 08:38:32 PM »
Well Tom, there *is* something I do as a bit of a trick to give me 2 voices (actually 3) on the left, and I use it in my original Batman Theme Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCq42Bf4ANU

Basically, you normally have a split for both the acmp and the left, but if you change them to 2 separate split points, and change the stop behavior to style (and then select the sounds you want on bass and pad), and whatever sound you want for the left; playing an octave, you can now have *3* sounds on the left. If you look at the start of my playing on the video, you'll notice *two* split points.

I only use this on parts where there is no rhythm, as starting the style replaces the acmp stop parts with whatever the style pattern is,

As for your freeplay styles being insufficient for flexibility, you *can* simply assign different voices to the acmp and then save either a new version of the style, or a registration to call up the existing style with your selected voices.

Mark

Offline panos

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2021, 12:18:00 AM »
Excellent playing Mark :)

Tom, may I propose another option to try and see if it suits to you?
If we go to the keyboard's menu (Style settings) and change the STOP ACMP to style,
we can now hear on the left hand, the Bass and the Pad of the style when the style is not playing.

Now we can set a LH piano voice.
As we are doing that the pad sound of the style cannot be heard anymore (it is canceled automatically when we set a LH voice).
So now we have the piano LH voice and the bass voice which comes from the style.

We can go to the style creator, press REC for the bass channel and record the note C on it.
We change the bass voice with a strings voice and volume up the sound of it.
Then we can go to the parameter menu and choose for the bass channel:
NTR:ROOT FIXED
NTT:CHORD
BASS:OFF
(If we copy paste the pad channel to the bass channel with the Assembly function will also change all these settings)

We save the style,we press OTS 1 to set the accompaniment on again, we press stop for the style not to play and we now have the 2 sounds we want on the left hand (a LH voice and a voice on the bass channel)
We adjust the volumes and some effects with the Mixing Console and we resave the style.
We can also test another strings or pad voice on the bass channel on the fly.

The bass channel voice may not sound exactly as it would if we have put it as a LH voice(only one note of the chord will be heard at a time,
but at least have a combination of 2 voices for the left hand.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:45:53 AM by panos »

The following users thanked this post: Amwilburn

PSRTom

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 03:00:40 AM »
Hey Mark and panos,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.
It will take me some time to explore your suggestions. 
I have not tried any Style Settings/Modifications, but I looked at the Styles and Parameter Menus. 
I will have to do some homework to implement these ideas.

Tom

P.S.  Mark, I looked at the Batman video. AWESOME!!

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 04:09:32 PM »
Hola, para adjudicar más voces tanto a la parte izquierda como derecha he visto esta opción aunque es un poco cara:
https://www.tyrosmagic.com/product-page/v-console-v2-1-4-software-edition-download-only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwxySiCE7n4

No se si se será lo que necesita.

Offline overover

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2021, 04:43:30 PM »
Hola, para adjudicar más voces tanto a la parte izquierda como derecha he visto esta opción aunque es un poco cara:
https://www.tyrosmagic.com/product-page/v-console-v2-1-4-software-edition-download-only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwxySiCE7n4

No se si se será lo que necesita.

Hi Fernando,

please post in ENGLISH here, because this is an English speaking forum.

You can use an online translation tool like Google Translate to translate your Spanish text into English. Then post the English text here.

Best regards,
Chris