Author Topic: Midi Pedal problem  (Read 3372 times)

djp

Midi Pedal problem
« on: May 25, 2021, 06:31:03 AM »
I wonder if anyone has any experience with the roland pk -5a midid pedal i have a yamaha tyros 4 and am having trouble connecting this.
Although it is showing send  on the keyboard only a piano sound comes out

Any help please

Offline overover

Re: Midi Pedal problem
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 08:59:01 PM »
Hi djp,

you need to provide more informations:

- Which Part of the Tyros 4 are you trying to control via MIDI from the Roland Pedal?

- Which MIDI IN socket do you use (A or B)?

- Which MIDI template do you use? A Preset MIDI template (e.g. "All Parts") or a custom template? If the latter is the case, which settings did you change in RECEIVE tab?

Basically, you have several options to set the desired Voice settings for the Part played by the Roland Pedal, e.g.:

- use the Right3 or Left Part (can be memorized to Registrations as usual)

- use a SONG Part and custom made "Dummy MIDI files" to change the Pedal Voice (can also be memorized in Registrations, but only if you don't play with "normal" MIDI files at the same time)

-  use always the Bass Voice of the currently loaded Style

As you can see, there are many options here. Therefore, in order to be able to help you in a meaningful way, we absolutely need more precise information from you.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 09:00:06 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

djp

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 07:52:20 AM »
Thank you so much for the reply I was going through Midi A   i was using all parts as i couldn`t see a template for the midi , I used a tutorial and assigned the left hand to pedal but the sound stays as a piano which is on the base unit even though it shows a signal the keyboard voicing is not changing
I wondered if there was something on the roland that needs assigning

Many regards
Colin

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 08:59:40 AM »
Thank you so much for the reply I was going through Midi A   i was using all parts as i couldn`t see a template for the midi , I used a tutorial and assigned the left hand to pedal but the sound stays as a piano which is on the base unit even though it shows a signal the keyboard voicing is not changing
I wondered if there was something on the roland that needs assigning

Many regards
Colin

Hi Colin,

the MIDI Settings are described in the Tyros4 Reference Manual (from page 124).
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=keyboards&k=tyros4

- Press [Function] > MIDI and make sure that "All Parts" is selected. Now press "EDIT" (= lower "8" button) to open the settings of the currentlly loaded MIDI template "All Parts".

- Go to "RECEIVE" tab (refer to page 128 of the Reference Manual).

- At the beginning of the list, you can see that the Channels 1 - 16 of "MIDI A" are routed to the SONG Parts. This is the reason that you hear only a piano sound when playing the Roland Pedal.

- Now scroll down (using the "1" or "2" buttons) until the first line of "MIDI B" appears. You can see that the default routing is as follows:

CHANNEL                                   PART
----------------------------------------------------------
MIDI B/USB 2    CH1        KEYBOARD
MIDI B/USB 2    CH2        RIGHT 1
MIDI B/USB 2    CH3        RIGHT 2
MIDI B/USB 2    CH4        RIGHT 3
MIDI B/USB 2    CH5        LEFT

As you can see, the LEFT Part can be controlled on Channel 5, but on MIDI IN B, by default.

You have several options now:

1) The easiest way is to connect the Roland Pedal to the MIDI IN B socket and select Transmit Channel 5 on the Roland Pedal. In this case, no changes on the Tyros are required.

or

2) If you don't want to change the Transmit Channel of the Roland Pedal, first find out which Channel is used. (In most cases it is Channel 1.) Then in the Tyros4 MIDI Settings (RECEIVE) go to the line "MIDI B/USB 2    CH1        KEYBOARD" and change the Part from "KEYBOARD" to "LEFT".

To save the modified MIDI template, first press "EXIT" button (to leave the EDIT display) and go to the USER tab (!), then press "SAVE", enter a meaningful filename for your custom MIDI template and press "OK" to save it in the User drive. Make sure that your new MIDI template is selected now (!)

or

3) If you want to use MIDI IN A: Go to the beginning of the list in "RECEIVE" tab. Go to the line of the MIDI channel on which the Roland Pedal transmits, e.g. "MIDI A/USB 1    CH1   SONG" and change the Part from "SONG" to "LEFT" in this line. Press the "EXIT" button and save the modified MIDI template as described above.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 10:32:17 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 10:26:35 AM »
By the way: Your last post was posted twice, Colin. You should remove one of them. ;)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 10:28:17 AM by overover »