Author Topic: Headphones with Genos  (Read 2256 times)

opticat

Headphones with Genos
« on: February 16, 2021, 09:43:33 PM »
I have read the lengthy discussion several times about headphones not working properly with the Genos. By properly, I mean that when the headphone jack is plugged in, the speakers mute and the sound comes through the phones. I am not using the Yamaha speaker system, but a Logitech system with two speakers and a bass unit.

After reading many technical posts, somehow I cannot seem to find a cure for this problem. I was able to follow one post to learn that there is, under Menu 2, a toggle which I enabled called headphone switch I believe. But the problem still persists of not being able to mute the speakers and use the headphones.

Can anyone, in simple terms, tell me if this is normal or what I am doing wrong? The latest update is installed.

Thanks!

Offline overover

Re: Headphones with Genos
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 10:44:55 PM »
Hi opticat,

the settings that are available in the display "Menu > Utility > Speaker/Connectivity > Speaker" only affect the Yamaha Speaker System (GNS-MS01), because it is conected via the MINI DIN 8-pin socket of the Genos.

The Main Out sockets (where you probably have connected your Logitech speakers) are "always on" on Genos.

And the "Phones" socket is also "always on" on Genos (no matter which setting is active for the "Speaker" parameter I mentioned before).

So just connect your headphones to the "Phones" socket of the Genos and switch off the Logitech speakers (or turn down volume on the Logitech system) if you don't want to hear the speakers.

By the way: With the Tyros5, the "Phones" socket can be configured so that the Main Out sockets are switched off when headphones are connected. This is because the Yamaha Speaker System (TRS-MS05) is connected to the Main Out sockets of the Tyros5 (because the T5 does not have an 8-pin socket for the Yamaha speakers). With all other Tyros models, all PSR-S / SX models and the Genos, however, the Main Out sockets CANNOT be configured so that the Main Out is muted when headphones are connected.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 10:49:56 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 11:29:26 PM »
Opticat,

As Chris mentioned, there is no work around for this. I just don't power up my external speakers when I want to use headphones. It works fine. Not sure why they left this out on the Genos. As Chris said they used to have this feature on the Tyros 5.

Rick D.

opticat

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 12:59:32 AM »
Great explanation! THANK YOU so very much. Yes, I had a T5 and when the headphone jack was plugged in, the speakers remained silent.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 01:05:07 AM »
Thanks for your quick feedback, opticat!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)