Author Topic: mp3 to WAV conversion  (Read 4776 times)

Offline casiokid

mp3 to WAV conversion
« on: February 15, 2021, 10:16:05 AM »
What software or adapter are members using to convert mp3 files to WAV for playback on SX600 and 'E' series keyboards?

Reading other Forum posts, for some reason, I understand the mp3's need to be in stereo to playback on Yamaha keyboards
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 10:37:09 AM by casiokid »

Offline Karlos

Re: mp3 to WAV conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 10:29:20 AM »
I use Audacity, its free and it works for me.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 11:53:21 AM »
Casio Kid,

Audacity will do the job, but you have to realize when you take a WAV file and convert it to MP3 you are losing quality in the sound of the file. Lets say an average WAV file is 35 megs in size. When you convert it to MP3 it reduces the file size to 3.5 megs. By doing this in actuality there is a loss of quality. So when you go from an MP3 to WAV file, it will not gain you that quality back. It will simply convert the MP3 to WAV. Honestly to me, I can't tell the difference, but to some audiophiles it is not acceptable. These people are the ones that still use vinyl records to play their music, as they feel that digital music as a whole has a loss of quality. Again to me, besides hearing all the scratches , hisses, and pop on vinyl, I can't tell the difference so I prefer digital music.
Here is a video on how to do what you want with Audacity. https://audacity.wonderhowto.com/how-to/convert-mp3-file-wav-file-using-audacity-344464/

Rick D.

Offline casiokid

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 12:28:16 PM »
Very many thanks Karlos and Rick D -for such a detailed explanation

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 01:13:31 PM »
Hi casiokid,

please note: No matter which program you use to convert MP3 files (back) into WAV files, be sure to have selected the following target format:

.wav, 44.1 kHz, 16bit, stereo

This is the only WAV format that can be used on Yamaha keyboards.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline casiokid

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 02:15:38 PM »
Thanks for all the information.

The problem I now have is that audacity doesn't recognize my *.mp3 files?   Audacity keeps telling me I need to install FFmpeg Library which necessitates reinstalling Audacity afterwards but I seem to be going around in circles and it still doesn't help me to import?

Even when I try to import as Raw Data,as also recommended, I can see the stereo track, but its just hiss on playback?

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 02:24:24 PM »
The problem I now have is that audacity doesn't recognize my *.mp3 files?   Audacity keeps telling me I need to install FFmpeg Library which necessitates reinstalling Audacity afterwards but I seem to be going around in circles and it still doesn't help me to import?

Even when I try to import as Raw Data,as also recommended, I can see the stereo track, but its just hiss on playback?

If Audacity doesn’t recognize it, then you probably don’t have an mp3 file.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 02:25:02 PM »
Casiokid,

I forgot to mention it, you need LAME

https://audacityguide.com/lame-for-audacity

Rick D.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 02:26:31 PM by Rick D. »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 02:32:21 PM »
Yes, that is right, you need LAME first.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline casiokid

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 02:49:15 PM »
Yes I have LAME built into Audacity. 

I'm running Win10 and mp3 files play in Medio Player

Offline ckobu

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 02:56:03 PM »
Hi casiokid,

and you can solve all the conversion problems online on the site.

https://vocalremover.org/converter

Offline casiokid

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 03:10:52 PM »
WOW -this is a slick and easy conversion program ckobu !   

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 04:16:26 PM »
Wow that's the best vocal removing software, I have heard. Thanks, ckobu.

Rick D.

Argento

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2021, 04:22:53 PM »
Lame is the way to go (you can use it from the command line (batch file) of you can use one of the many frontends to it (Audacity is a valid one, is an audio editor, not a cconverter per se, but can do the job).
Anyway, if you want to store (archive) your songs, don't use mp3/ogg as support, convert them to flac (.flac) , and store them in that format , is a loseless format , like .wav , but compressed, so weight a LOT less on storage.

Offline overover

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 05:04:50 PM »
... The problem I now have is that audacity doesn't recognize my *.mp3 files?   Audacity keeps telling me I need to install FFmpeg Library which necessitates reinstalling Audacity afterwards but I seem to be going around in circles and it still doesn't help me to import?

Hi casiokid,

make sure that you have installed the latest version (2.4.2) of Audacity:
>>> https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/

The LAME MP3 Codec is built-in. If you get a message that Audacity needs the "FFmpeg Library", the format of your files may not be MP3 (but maybe WMA or M4A).

Please make sure that all File Extensions are displayed in your Windows 10. There are two different options to make this important setting:

or

To install the "FFmpeg Library" (this of course never hurts) download it here, and then double-click the .exe file:
>>> https://lame.buanzo.org/ffmpeg-win-2.2.2.exe

Then open Audacity, go to "Edit > Preferences > Libraries" and check if "FFmpeg" is properly installed. (See the attached picture.)

Note: You can open an MP3 file in Audacity by clicking "File > Open..." or optionally by clicking "File > Import > Audio".

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 05:56:19 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline casiokid

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 05:35:41 PM »
Thanks Chris

Followed your fantastic set of instructions but could not find the audacity.cfg file to delete before restarting audacity?

Offline overover

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 05:52:36 PM »
Thanks Chris

Followed your fantastic set of instructions but could not find the audacity.cfg file to delete before restarting audacity?

Hi casiokid,

thanks for your kind feedback!

The "audacity.cfg" file is in the folder "C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\audacity\".

But why do you want to delete it? This has never been necessary for me.

P.S.
You could try to click "Tools > Reset Configuration". This should also do the job (resetting everything). :)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 06:22:12 PM »
Format factory is the boy for me and free.as it converts MKv to Mp4 and a host of other things
Converts wave to flac

If downloading Format Factory ,make sure you get it from the right site as some can have viruses in.
If you have a good anti-Virus program you have no worries. Once you have Format Factory updates are easy.
Trying to convert mp3 back to wave file is ok.
All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 09:39:56 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 09:32:44 AM »
It is no good converting mp3 back to wave .
It still has the same quality as Mp3 .
After compression you cannot reverse it quality wise.
You will only land up using more space.

All the best

John
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 09:39:23 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox