Author Topic: Will SongBook+ adapt to DGX-670?  (Read 5464 times)

Bromma

Will SongBook+ adapt to DGX-670?
« on: February 13, 2021, 11:13:52 AM »
I know that Tyros, Genos and Clavinova can work with SongBook+ and event get registration settings when you choose a new song in your library. Do you think DGX-670 can do that?

Offline Rick D.

Re: Will SongBook+ adapt to DGX-670?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 01:41:05 PM »
Bromma,

This is a link to the manual, if you have midi connections, it will work but you will also need a midi to iPad interface. Go to section 20.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/75jlmruhtvhihsv/UserManual-SongBook%2B_3_3_rev1_EN.pdf?dl=0

Rick D.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 02:01:02 PM by Rick D. »

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 08:42:28 PM »
I know that Tyros, Genos and Clavinova can work with SongBook+ and event get registration settings when you choose a new song in your library. Do you think DGX-670 can do that?

Hi Bromma,

I couldn't find any information about whether the DGX-670's registrations can be switched externally via MIDI.

This was already possible with the PSR-9000. This option has been removed with the Tyros1. From Tyros2 it worked again (via Bank Select MSB / LSB and ProgramChange). With PSR-S models it only works with PSR-S975/775.

With the Genos, a new "external switch option" for Registrations has been added (namely via SysEx) that even works in both directions. This also works on PSR-SX.

This may also work on the DGX-670. But it could also be that Yamaha simply "forgot" to implement this (similar to what is probably the case with the import function for Music Finder files (.mfd) on the DGX-670.)

If you have an iPad, you could simply try out whether the Registrations can be switched externally or not:

- You need a USB type AB cable and an Apple Camera Adapter suitable for the iPad. Use this to connect the iPad to the USB-to-host socket of the DGX-670.

- Install the "Songbook+" app (by BauM Software) on the iPad. The app initially runs in demo mode, but that's enough for testing.

- The necessary settings in Songbook+ for linking "Songs" (text or sheet music) with the corresponding Registration on the keyboard can be found in these special instructions from the Songbook+ developer:
>>> http://www.baum-software.ch/downloads/OtherManuals/Manual_Yamaha_Genos_SongBook.pdf

Alternatively, you could of course also ask Yamaha support. But if I were you, I would just try it out myself, as just described. :)

If you have any further questions, just get in touch here!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 08:52:53 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Doyle2468

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 04:48:09 PM »
The answer is yes, I was able to work it out. I can't easily describe all I did.

I found the manual at http://www.baum-software.ch/downloads/OtherManuals/Manual_Yamaha_SongBook.pdf
more useful than the Geno version referenced above. One must "translate" the certain aspects of manual into DGX-670 terminology/operations.

Regards

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 07:02:29 PM »
The answer is yes, I was able to work it out. I can't easily describe all I did.

I found the manual at http://www.baum-software.ch/downloads/OtherManuals/Manual_Yamaha_SongBook.pdf
more useful than the Geno version referenced above. One must "translate" the certain aspects of manual into DGX-670 terminology/operations. ...

Hi Doyle,

>>> Which method are you talking about:

"Songbook+ controls keyboard" (via MSB/LSB/ProgramChange)

or

"keyboard controls Songbook+" (via Dummy MIDI files linked in the keyboard's Registrations)

>>> Have you also tried the "new" SysEx method (as described in the Songbook+ manual for Genos and SX models linked in my post above)? It would be nice if this method could also be used with the DGX-670, because after linking the Registrations with the Songbook+ "songs" (initiated from Songbook+) the connection then works automatically in both directions.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Doyle2468

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 03:18:15 AM »
The method I am interested in is the:

"keyboard controls Songbook+" (via Dummy MIDI files linked in the keyboard's Registrations)

My setup also used MSB/LSB/PC settings corresponding to the number of the SongBook_xxx.mid file in the registration, just one less. Plus I have to "play" the midi file after selecting the registration.

The SongBook+ manual indicates that more refinements are possible based on file naming conventions.

I did see SysEX appear in SongBook's the Midi monitor at times. I understand this method is supposed to work in conjunction with just the Code field. I never got this linkage to work. Likewise I didn't see anything as a result of attempting to use the "Learn Midi Command" link. 

Glad that I got this much to work.

Convinced myself that I need a larger iPad.

Offline rphillipchuk

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 05:52:57 PM »
Hi Doyle

Have sent you a PM.

Ron
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

MacBook Pro 32 Gigs Ram, 1 Terrabyte SSD

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Offline rphillipchuk

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 03:27:14 AM »
I have finally figured out how to use "Songbook+.... I was able to communicate with the iPad and the DGX together......  I can pick a Registration, it will setup the Keyboard and bring up the PDF on the ipad  or  I can pick the PDF on the iPad and it will bring up the associated Registration..    Happy, Happy Happy

Now if I could only have better chops !!!!!!
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Offline rvr64

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 08:42:26 PM »
I have finally figured out how to use "Songbook+.... I was able to communicate with the iPad and the DGX together......  I can pick a Registration, it will setup the Keyboard and bring up the PDF on the ipad  or  I can pick the PDF on the iPad and it will bring up the associated Registration..    Happy, Happy Happy

Now if I could only have better chops !!!!!!

Could you please provide a detailed instruction as to how you set that up on both the iPad a DGX-670… Thanks in advance!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 08:57:04 PM »
Could you please provide a detailed instruction as to how you set that up on both the iPad a DGX-670… Thanks in advance!

Watch the video. Link in my signature.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline rphillipchuk

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 11:30:32 PM »

I got this advice from Baum Software and this opened up the door for me !!!!!

First of all you have to make a “SongBook” song:
Therefore press edit n the right top corner. Then enter you Meta Data, change the title name if desired. Then press save and then “done”.
Look at chapter 4.1 in the manual.

After you finished a hand full of songs, then check in you midi settings, whether you selected the Genos mode at all.

Then open one of you SongBook songs and have a look into the … menu if a song is displayed, whether you could link it to a registration. If not, then you have to check the tyros mode with the three wheels.

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com