Author Topic: EQ setting erase  (Read 1852 times)

Offline hans1966

EQ setting erase
« on: February 12, 2021, 05:17:04 PM »
Hi Guys, I have kept my EQ settings, almost since I bought my sx900, (EQ Enildo, QuiRobinez, and others) but I realized this morning that they were gone. What could I have done wrong?  I appreciate your advice.  Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline overover

Re: EQ setting erase
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 06:50:49 PM »
Hi Hans,

have you maybe loaded another User-Effect file (.eff)?

Or did you perform a factory reset with the "User Effect" checked?

This would overwrite the following settings:
• User Effect types
• User Master EQ types
• User Master Compressor types
• User Vocal Harmony/Synth Vocoder types
• User microphone/guitar settings

Have you checked the USER memories (1 - 30) of Master EQ and Master Compressor? Are they all empty now?

If you have a backup file (.eff) of your User Effects, you can use it to restore the Master EQ settings now. (All other User Effect settings would also be overwritten!)

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline hans1966

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 11:12:46 PM »
Hi Chris, thank you very much for your prompt reply. I really don't have a copy of the EQ settings.
on the other hand I would like to ask you what is a file (eff).?  and how I keep it so it doesn't get lost.  Hans

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 11:30:25 PM »
Hi Chris, thank you very much for your prompt reply. I really don't have a copy of the EQ settings.
on the other hand I would like to ask you what is a file (eff).?  and how I keep it so it doesn't get lost.  Hans

You most likely loaded a registration which changed the eq settings. To stop this happening in the future, you should set parameter lock for eq.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline hans1966

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 11:36:37 PM »
Hi Fred, thank you very much for your advice, I will keep it in mind.  Hans

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 12:15:17 AM »
Hi Hans,

please refer to the pages 129, 132 and 133 of the SX900 Reference Manual. On page 133 is described how save or load the three different Setup Files System (.ssu), MIDI (.msu) and User Effect (.eff) individually.
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/downloads.html#product-tabs

P.S.
The User System settings, User MIDI settings and User Effect settings are also saved in the .bup file using the Backup function (page 132). But note that such a .bup Backup file also includes the whole content of the User drive, and when you restore a .bup file, all mentioned User settings and also the User drive are overwritten.)

P.P.S.
The Master EQ settings can only be saved in one of the 30 User memories (USER1 - USER30) in the Master EQ display. The Master EQ settings cannot be memorized to Registrations. But the Master EQ settings can be changed by MIDI files that contain Master EQ SysEx (and also by a Registration that calls up such a MIDI file). Therefore, I strongly recommend to have ticked "Master EQ" in the "Parameter Lock" display (page 130 of the SX900 Reference Manual). The Master EQ settings then can only be changed manually in the Master EQ display, but not accidentally by calling up a MIDI file.

P.P.P.S.
Directly on the keyboard you cannot save the Master EQ settings into a MIDI file. But with a MIDI Sequencer program (DAW) or very easily with the "Midifile Optimizer" on the computer this can be done. (And those MIDI files can accidentally overwrite your Master EQ settings when not locked in "Parameter Lock".)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 05:48:17 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline hans1966

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 04:37:53 PM »
Hi Chris, thank you very much for that detailed answer.
I'm going to follow your recommendations and take a look at the reference manual.
Regards. Hans