Author Topic: A Question About A CFX Grand piano sample package  (Read 4433 times)

markchapman1976

A Question About A CFX Grand piano sample package
« on: February 11, 2021, 03:02:58 PM »
Hi does anybody know if a package like the one I've included in the link can be used in conjunction with the PSR S975 and if so how would I set it up? Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/12551121638/posts/10159228927686639/

Offline mikf

Re: A Question About A CFX Grand piano sample package
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 03:53:44 PM »
Isn’t the CFX already the sample in a 975?
Mike

markchapman1976

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 03:59:54 PM »
Yes it is but I was thinking because this package is £189 for one instrument it might sound better

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 04:14:08 PM »
Mark
I think there is a way to load the sample but it’s not straightforward and has interim steps involving computers software.  If you search , there is a thread about how to do this.
However, before jumping to this go to the recent thread comparing various piano samples and showing so little difference most people could not pick which was which.
Mike

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 04:53:18 PM »
The 975 has the CFS sample I think.

Whether there is any real difference with the CFX on Genos is open to interpretation ....

It's all very subjective. I had an expansion piano which sounded meh on Tyros 5, but sounds pretty good on Genos. So your results may vary and your £189 might not be very well spent.

Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 05:33:17 PM »
Hi Mark,

this CFX Concert Grand Pack available in various plug-in formats and as standalone version for PC and Mac. There is no YEM compatible version.

In theory, one can re-sample these sounds (e.g. using a program like "Sample Robot") and make new, YEM compatible Voices from those samples.

But there is a "little" problem: The PSR-S975 has only 768 MB of Expansion Wave Memory (Genos has 3 GB). But this CFX plug-in Pack needs 50 GB of Memory for a full installation or 12 GB for "compact" installation. On a computer the sound generation is realized by "Disk Streaming", but on our keyboards, all the samples must be completely loaded into the Expansion Memory at Pack Installation. And as you can see, this is not possible in this case.

Of course, an experienced sound programmer could make a relatively small Pack (that could be used on the S975) from this CFX plug-in Pack. But then the samples had to be looped, and only a few samples of the original Pack could be used. So the final quality (played on e.g. an S975) had little to do with the original CFX plug-in Pack.

P.S.
I recommend you to try the new, free "New Year Pack", programmed by our forum member Francesco Massa. This Pack (.ppf) contains various high quality Steinway D-274 Grand Piano Voices:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,57971.msg449447.html#msg449447

P.P.S.
Some of the additional Voices of this Pack are Genos exclusives and cannot be installed on other models. But you can just ignore these Voices when using this Pack with the S975. :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:42:24 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 07:42:03 PM »
Mark, I know I have made this point before but it’s maybe worth repeating. It is my belief that many people using arrangers feel the piano voice is ‘thin’ but its because of the way it is often used on these keyboards ie a single note melody line. When the voice on almost any of these models is played two handed by experienced pianists it mostly sounds perfectly ok.
 Even when a new sample is technically brilliant, it may not actually sound that different to most people when used in a typical arranger context - because what we already have is pretty good anyway.
Mike

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 08:14:39 PM »
Mike is right. The S975 piano voices are actually very good. But alas, I am not a pianist😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 09:40:56 PM »
Mike is right. The S975 piano voices are actually very good. ...

Yes, I think the same thing too. :)

But many users raise bass and treble frequencies in the Master EQ and often also cut mid frequencies at the same time. (In Germany this is called a "bathtub" EQ setting. ;)⁣)

The user in question then mainly hears bass and treble, and many voices that are actually very well programmed (including the preset Piano voices) then sound extremely "thin". (Because the important mid frequencies are much too quiet.)

I recommend playing with different Preset Styles (and their OTS!) while setting the Master EQ. Based on the FLAT EQ Preset setting, first adjust the bass and treble (the far left and the far right frequency bands). But please raise bass and treble only as much as necessary.

The mid frequencies should NOT be lowered in general. Interference frequencies (e.g. room resonances) can be reduced in a narrow band by setting a relatively high Q value for the frequency band concerned.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 10:18:15 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 10:05:26 PM »
There have been many modified piano voices posted over the years on the forum, sometimes by doing the things Chris suggests, or adding effects, or even layering. In fact Yamaha themselves provide some attractive layered pseudo piano voices, that are quite nice. But the downside is that while they can fatten up that single note melody line very nicely over arranger accompaniment, when used in a conventional two handed piano approach that includes big chords, especially left hand chords, they will sound very fuzzy. 
Mike

Offline dragonkeys

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 01:10:04 AM »