Author Topic: MS01 Speaker problems  (Read 5480 times)

navsail2000

MS01 Speaker problems
« on: December 01, 2020, 08:45:43 AM »
Hi,
Sitting here feeling rather deflated after just taken delivery of new Genos keyboard and MS01 speakers. Right out of the box there seems to be a problem with the sub woofer which is totally silent although the satellite speakers work fine.

I am just posting this in the vague hope that I might be doing something wrong and that I do not have to go through the pain of returning the units which here in Spain is always a complicated affair!
Malcolm

Offline Bill

Re: MS01 Speaker problems
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 08:51:55 AM »
The Sub Woofer has it’s own volume control.

England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 09:29:06 AM »
On the back of the sub there is a volume control. Turn this all the way up. In the fromt there is a bass control. Tyrn that up to desired bass level. Also check that the cable between the Genos and sub is commected properly. Hope you do not have to send it back!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 10:18:14 AM »
Did you remember to plug the subwoofer in :)

Seriously though the connector cable between the keyboard and the subwoofer is a real pain. Make sure you didn't accidentally bend any of the pins.
Genos

navsail2000

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 10:23:58 AM »
Hi
Thanks for all the replies but if only it was that easy. Both front and back volume controls are turned up and the cable although fragile looking seems ok and inserts ok.

The situation has since got a little more complicated. As I said the keyboard is also brand new and I am finding that there is nothing coming out of the Line Out sockets. To test the amp/speakers I have found that it all runs successfully with my old PSR970S but not with the Genos.

So in summary I get sound out of the satellite MS01 speakers and the headphone socket but that seems to be it!

Malcolm

Genos!

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 12:02:41 PM »
You might want to do a system [hard] reset.

Don't do any firmware updates!

If the Genos is bad, you might have to do a return.  :-\

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 12:10:46 PM »
Navsail2000,

Check the pins on the subwoofer arent bent over. This plug is very fragile, and great care needs to be used when plugging it in on both ends.
Are the speakers you are using in Line Out sockets powered? THey need to be powered and also make sure you are plugged into the MAIN R and L/L+R sockets, not the sub sockets.
It seems strange that the Satellite speakers are working, as I am pretty sure they are powered thru the subwoofer. Are you getting a blue light on the front of the subwoofer when you power it on?
You mentioned you have the volume up on the back and front, so you're good there. Go to Menu1 Line out. Make sure everything is checked on all 5 pages.

Hope this helps,

Rick D.

navsail2000

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 02:40:14 PM »

Thanks Rick for the comprehensive answer but I think all of these things have been checked. The pins are not bent over, the blue light is on the subwoofer and the satellite units work perfectly. I agree it seems strange that they should work and not the woofer as the signal goes through it. If there was a fault with the sub then it is hard to see why that should affect the lineouts which I have checked are all enabled for MainR and L/L+R which is what I am using.

I feel a 350km round trip to Barcelona coming on to get it all checked out in the store but it should not be necessary with the money this lot cost me.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 04:52:03 PM »
navsail2000,

I would try calling Yamaha before making the long trip. It might be something simple, that we are missing.

Rick D.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 07:41:58 PM »
I would try getting a new cable, maybe there is a fault with it?
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline frozzers

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 08:16:15 PM »
This sounds similar to what was reported here:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=50315.0

David Young's solution might fix your issue too.

If it's only a matter of removing the back plate, it shouldn't void your warranty.

Cheers

Chris

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 10:08:13 PM »
Hi Malcolm,

you wrote that the two satellite speakers work normally, but the Subwoofer doesn't. This means that the problem MUST be with the Subwoofer, because:

The satellite speakers are passive, so these two amps (which are built into the Subwoofer) work.

The stereo signal from the Genos to the Subwoofer (via the 8-pin mini DIN cable) is transmitted properly because the satellites are working. (The same signal is used to control the power amp for the Sub loudspeaker.)

I suspect that there is a problem with one of the following components:
- Sub pre amp
- Sub power amp
- Sub loudspeaker
- Defect of an internal cable or a circuit break on an internal circuit board somewhere between the 8-pin mini DIN Input socket and the named components.

If the Subwoofer still does not emit any sound, a Yamaha service technician will have to take a closer look at the device. But since it is, as you wrote, still brand new, I recommend that you simply send the device (the GNS-MS01) back to the seller and insist on an exchange for a faultless device.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 10:09:18 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 12:05:39 AM »
Chris,

He is still having problems with his external speakers and the aux out ports as well.

Rick D.

navsail2000

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2020, 02:32:44 PM »

Hi everyone and thank you for all the replies. I have delayed responding because I was waiting for a conclusion to the matter from the shop and Yamaha Spain.

To cut a long story short, the GNS MS01 issue was confirmed by Yamaha to be a faulty unit right out of the box.

The situation with the Line Out issues is not so clear as it was suddenly it was there and I am not sure what action I took that restored it. It may or may not have been a firmware update.

Anyway, all is good on the music front now. The store which is a mega music store in Barcelona were very helpful throughout and put me in contact with a local Yamaha person who even made a house visit. All the more impressive since we live in the country half way up a Spanish mountain!

As I said, this was a contact supplied by the store. Less than impressive were the listed Yamaha contacts who never replied!

Feliz Navidad to you all.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2020, 08:31:15 PM »
So glad all is well!! Feliz Navidad❤️🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲
Toril S

and PSR-47.