Author Topic: Move or copy hard disk Expansion folder to usb  (Read 7236 times)

Online bpsafran

Move or copy hard disk Expansion folder to usb
« on: February 10, 2021, 05:38:49 AM »
When I use Yamaha Expansion Manager
 it installs expansion voices to a folder called Expansion
to the hard disk. Is there a way to hsve this folder
   be created on the usb? Or to copy it to the usb?
Thanks

Offline overover

Re: Move or copy hard disk Expansion folder to usb
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 07:54:33 AM »
Hi bpsafran,

first of all, the folder "Expansion" must remain at its original location (in the root directory of the Tyros5's hard disk), and you must not change anything inside this folder manually.

Directly on the Tyros5 you cannot copy files out of the Expansion folder, because the COPY function is not available inside this folder and its subfolders.

Of course you can load files from the Expansion folder (e.g. Styles, Registration Bank files or Multi Pad Bank files) and then SAVE it to a location outside the Expansion folder (e.g. onto a USB stick or into another folder on the T5 hard disk). But this works only for one file at a time.

To COPY the complete Expansion folder you have to use the "USB Storage Mode":

- Connect the USB-to-Host socket of the Tyros5 to your computer using a USB type "AB" cable.

- Make sure that the computer is switched on and the Tyros5 is switched off.

- Hold down the [Music Finder] button while powering on the Tyros5.

- Open the Windows Explorer (or the Finder if you have a Mac). The T5 hard disk should be displayed as a new "Removable drive" on the computer.

- Now you can copy the complete Expansion folder (or only certain files, if desired) to a folder on the computer's hard disk or, if desired, also directly onto a USB stick.

Note: The Voice Set files (.vce) that are used to call up the Expansion Voices will also work when copied to a USB stick, but of course only if the corresponding Expansion Packs are still installed properly.

P. S.
Please do not change anything inside the Expansion folder or inside the (hidden) folder "AUDIOREC.ROOT" on the T5 hard disk.

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 08:32:36 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: bpsafran

Offline ckobu

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 08:08:49 AM »
When I use Yamaha Expansion Manager
 it installs expansion voices to a folder called Expansion
to the hard disk. Is there a way to hsve this folder
   be created on the usb? Or to copy it to the usb?
Thanks

No, you can't transfer content from the Expansion folder on the keyboard to a USB stick. As Chris said, you can only transfer a part like Style or Multipad but you can’t transfer Expansion Voice.
You should have a ppf / cpf file of that content and then enter it into YEM. Next in YEM you enter new ppf / cpf and create a new installation Pack that contains what is now loaded on the keyboard and new material that you added.
Watch the video to better understand what I wrote. (include English subtitles)

https://youtu.be/abOb0fUIC2Y
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: bpsafran

Online bpsafran

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 01:28:28 PM »
Thanks for the answers of both forum members. I just want to copy the .vce files (not the wave information) that is referenced in my registrations, in case the hard disk fails.  But I guess in that case I have to fix the hard disk and then reload the Expansion pack from Yamaha Expansion Manager anyway and can thereby recover those voices.

Regards

Offline ckobu

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 01:49:45 PM »
If you only need that data then it is best to use the “USB storage mode” method described by Chris.
Watch my video channel

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 02:08:06 PM »
Thanks for the answers of both forum members. I just want to copy the .vce files (not the wave information) that is referenced in my registrations, in case the hard disk fails.  But I guess in that case I have to fix the hard disk and then reload the Expansion pack from Yamaha Expansion Manager anyway and can thereby recover those voices.

Regards

Hi bpsafran,

you can make a complete backup copy of the entire T5 hard disk using the USB Storage Mode (as described before).

Make sure that also the "hidden files and folders" are displayed on your computer so that you also can see the hidden folder "AUDIOREC.ROOT" on the T5 hard disk.

On Windows, press "Ctrl + A" to select all folders and files on the T5 hard disk, press "Ctrl + C" to copy all selected content, make a new folder on the PC's hard disk, go into that folder and press "Ctrl + V" to paste the copied content here.

If the T5 hard disk should fail, just install a new hard disk and copy the backup content in the same way onto the new hard disk. (Alternatively, you can connect the new hard disk directly to the computer first using a "Mini USB to USB A" cable. In this way, the copy process is much faster than when using the "USB storage mode".)

With regard to the Expansion folder, copying back a backup only makes sense if the installed Expansion content has not changed in the meantime. If the latter is the case, you do NOT need to copy the saved version of the Expansion folder back to a new hard drive, because if you reinstall the complete Expansion content, the old Expansion folder on the T5 would be completely deleted beforehand.

P.S.
There are complete HDD backup kits for the Tyros5 (hard drive including caddy). If you always keep the current backup on such an exchange hard disk, you can replace the hard disk in a few seconds in the event of a defect:
>>> https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Ei4AAOSwuzRXc7wp/s-l1600.jpg

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 02:25:06 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 12:56:31 PM »
Hi bpsafran,

first of all, the folder "Expansion" must remain at its original location (in the root directory of the Tyros5's hard disk), and you must not change anything inside this folder manually.

Directly on the Tyros5 you cannot copy files out of the Expansion folder, because the COPY function is not available inside this folder and its subfolders.

Of course you can load files from the Expansion folder (e.g. Styles, Registration Bank files or Multi Pad Bank files) and then SAVE it to a location outside the Expansion folder (e.g. onto a USB stick or into another folder on the T5 hard disk). But this works only for one file at a time.

To COPY the complete Expansion folder you have to use the "USB Storage Mode":

- Connect the USB-to-Host socket of the Tyros5 to your computer using a USB type "AB" cable.

- Make sure that the computer is switched on and the Tyros5 is switched off.

- Hold down the [Music Finder] button while powering on the Tyros5.

- Open the Windows Explorer (or the Finder if you have a Mac). The T5 hard disk should be displayed as a new "Removable drive" on the computer.

- Now you can copy the complete Expansion folder (or only certain files, if desired) to a folder on the computer's hard disk or, if desired, also directly onto a USB stick.

Note: The Voice Set files (.vce) that are used to call up the Expansion Voices will also work when copied to a USB stick, but of course only if the corresponding Expansion Packs are still installed properly.

P. S.
Please do not change anything inside the Expansion folder or inside the (hidden) folder "AUDIOREC.ROOT" on the T5 hard disk.

Best regards,
Chris
Chris,
Does USB storage mode work on windows10?
The manual says it can be used with Windows XP/Vista/7/8.
I need to test on a computer with w7, but on w10 I couldn't.
The drive just doesn't appear.
I didn't want to remove the hd from the keyboard for this.
Thanks!
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 01:34:58 PM »
Chris,
Does USB storage mode work on windows10?
The manual says it can be used with Windows XP/Vista/7/8.
I need to test on a computer with w7, but on w10 I couldn't.
The drive just doesn't appear.
I didn't want to remove the hd from the keyboard for this.
Thanks!

Hi Gabriel,

Which keyboard model is your case about?

Yes, the USB storage mode also works with Windows 10, of course. However, only Tyros models and Genos have this mode.

On the Tyros5, press and hold the Music Finder button to display the internal hard drive on the connected computer (as a new "Removable Disk" in Windows Explorer). This may take a few minutes, so please don't get impatient. ;)

On the Genos press and hold the Playlist button to display the internal User drive (eMMC Flash Memory) on the computer.

Incidentally, no special driver is required to use the USB storage mode. However, I recommend installing the "Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver" in advance. Then you can also use the "Yamaha MusicSoft Downloader" (MSD) to transfer files, because the MSD works via the MIDI protocol.

P.S.
In some cases, Windows Explorer does not refresh the view automatically. It doesn't hurt to press the "F5" key from time to time to refresh the view manually.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 01:41:53 PM by overover »

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 03:14:25 PM »
Thanks Chris!
I will try again and give feedback here.
I have a tyros5, I purchased it recently. It's actually a keyboard that had been used before, but it's like new, everything works. :)
 Taking advantage, I would like to ask: On the yamaha website, there is information that the tyros5 could run some expansions of some PSRS, but it does not say which models would be.
I've been looking at the Yamaha Music Soft website and haven't found much specifically for the tyros5 (I don't know if the website had much more for this model that ended up disappearing).
On another Yamaha site, I saw some extra free audio styles for Genos, but I'm in doubt if I can use it on Tyros5 before downloading.
There are still so many doubts...lol. But I'm asking little by little.
Best regards
Gabriel

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline ckobu

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 04:18:07 PM »
Hi Gabriel,

you can download many free packs. No registration required, just select Tyros5 in the menu.
You download what interests you and install it on the keyboard.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/vse/index.html
Watch my video channel

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 07:51:16 PM »
Hi Gabriel,

Please note that an optional Flash ROM Expansion Memory module (512, 1024 or 2048 MB) must be installed on your Tyros5 to can install Expansion Packs.

Regarding Audio Styles:
The Audio Styles that can be downloaded from the Genos download page are the 40 Audio Styles that are already included in the Tyros5.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 07:52:20 PM by overover »

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 12:04:58 AM »
No, you can't transfer content from the Expansion folder on the keyboard to a USB stick. As Chris said, you can only transfer a part like Style or Multipad but you can’t transfer Expansion Voice.
You should have a ppf / cpf file of that content and then enter it into YEM. Next in YEM you enter new ppf / cpf and create a new installation Pack that contains what is now loaded on the keyboard and new material that you added.
Watch the video to better understand what I wrote. (include English subtitles)

https://youtu.be/abOb0fUIC2Y
Thank you ckobu.
The ones there are the same ones I found in yamaha music soft. I've downloaded them all. :)
Is there any chance that packs made for other models like PSRS will work well on tyros5?
Best Regards

Offline ckobu

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 12:11:18 AM »
Hi,
you must have Packages intended for Tyros5. You cannot enter PSR S packages in Tyros.
regards casper
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 12:16:57 AM »
Hi Gabriel,

Please note that an optional Flash ROM Expansion Memory module (512, 1024 or 2048 MB) must be installed on your Tyros5 to can install Expansion Packs.

Regarding Audio Styles:
The Audio Styles that can be downloaded from the Genos download page are the 40 Audio Styles that are already included in the Tyros5.

Best regards,
Chris

Thanks for letting me know!
Luckily the keyboard came with a flash memory (I don't know which one) and already had some expansions installed.
Can I find this on the keyboard itself?
Another issue: When I install a new expansion pack, the content that was there before is erased. Does this happen through a disk format?
Can I generate a package with content from multiple packs to avoid doing too much formatting?
I'm afraid that wouldn't slow down the disc's durability.
Best Regards,
Gabriel

Offline Capt Tony

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 06:15:08 PM »
following
Tyros5.  New to me..

Offline overover

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 08:41:14 PM »
Thanks for your feedback, Gabriel!

Thanks for letting me know!
Luckily the keyboard came with a flash memory (I don't know which one) and already had some expansions installed.
Can I find this on the keyboard itself?

The size of the installed expansion memory module cannot be displayed directly on the Tyros5. Of course you could unscrew the cover on the underside of the T5 and see which module is installed. However, I would do the following:

- If you have not already done so, install the Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM) V2.8.1 on your computer.

- Press the "Direct Access" button on the T5 and then the "Demo" button to open the owner display. Connect a USB stick and then press the "E" button ("Export Instrument Info") to save the Instrument Info file (.n27) to the USB stick.

- Connect the USB stick to the computer and start the YEM.

- In the YEM click on the plus sign next to "Install Target", select "Import Instrument Info", navigate to the corresponding file on the USB stick and click OK to import it.

- Now you should see an Install Target entry "TYROS 5". Click on it. At the very top of the YEM window you should now see a dropdown box with "Voice Wave Size" selected. To the right of this you can see the values ​​0/511, 0/1023 or 0/2047. The value after the slash is the maximum available expansion memory. This is how you can see whether a 512, 1024 or 2048 MB module is installed in your T5.

Another issue: When I install a new expansion pack, the content that was there before is erased. Does this happen through a disk format?
Can I generate a package with content from multiple packs to avoid doing too much formatting?
I'm afraid that wouldn't slow down the disc's durability. ...

If you install new Expansion content on the T5 using the USB stick method, the Expansion Memory Module is always reformatted first, i.e. all previous expansion content is first deleted from the T5. This "formatting" has nothing to do with the internal hard disk or the internal flash memory (User drive), and nothing is "slowed down". ;)

In order to combine several Packs (or partial contents from different Packs), ALL packs must first be imported into the YEM. Then click on your "Install Target" (TYROS5) and select the desired Packs (so that each Pack symbol has a light green tick). If necessary, you can also deselect certain contents in the Packs in order to exclude them from the installation (e.g. to save storage space). The color of the tick in the Pack symbol then changes from light green to dark green.

You wrote that some Expansion Packs are currently installed on your T5. In order not to lose them when you install new packs, you absolutely need the installation data for these packs, i.e. the corresponding .cpf or .ppf files from the previous owner. However, if the Packs are Yamaha Packs that had to be purchased earlier, they can probably NOT be imported into the YEM with the original .cpf file. Most of the Yamaha Packs that were previously chargeable are now free anyway. So first check the available Packs here (select Tyros5 above!), and then use these packs. Note: There are separate versions for Tyros5-61 and for Tyros5-76!
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/vse/index.html

Instead of creating a Pack Install file (.cpi/.ppi) of the desired Expansion content on the USB stick and then installing it from the USB stick on the T5, you can also use the "WiFi method". This has the advantage that the Expansion Memory Module is not always reformatted when Expansion content is added.

The Yamaha USB WiFi stick "UD-WL01" is usually included with the Tyros5. You connect this stick to the rear USB-to-Device socket and connect the Tyro5 in "Infrastructure Mode" to your WiFi router (which is also connected to your computer via WiFi). If everything fits, an additional symbol appears in the "Install Target" in the YEM, which indicates the existing WiFi connection. (If not, you can click on the plus sign and select "Search Instruments".) To transfer (install) the packs currently selected in YEM, click on the "Send to Instrument" button.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

The following users thanked this post: gabrielschuck

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2021, 04:17:34 PM »
Hi,
you must have Packages intended for Tyros5. You cannot enter PSR S packages in Tyros.
regards casper
casper, Thank you!
But, on the yamaha website it says the following: "The Tyros5 is able to add some Yamaha's Voice & Style Expansion Packs, including some packs available for PSR-S series keyboards."
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/tyros5/expansion.html
The conclusion is that, despite not mentioning the models, I would be talking about packs made for PSR that also have a version for the tyros5, would that be it?
Greetings

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2021, 04:26:09 PM »
Thanks for your feedback, Gabriel!

The size of the installed expansion memory module cannot be displayed directly on the Tyros5. Of course you could unscrew the cover on the underside of the T5 and see which module is installed. However, I would do the following:

- If you have not already done so, install the Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM) V2.8.1 on your computer.

- Press the "Direct Access" button on the T5 and then the "Demo" button to open the owner display. Connect a USB stick and then press the "E" button ("Export Instrument Info") to save the Instrument Info file (.n27) to the USB stick.

- Connect the USB stick to the computer and start the YEM.

- In the YEM click on the plus sign next to "Install Target", select "Import Instrument Info", navigate to the corresponding file on the USB stick and click OK to import it.

- Now you should see an Install Target entry "TYROS 5". Click on it. At the very top of the YEM window you should now see a dropdown box with "Voice Wave Size" selected. To the right of this you can see the values ​​0/511, 0/1023 or 0/2047. The value after the slash is the maximum available expansion memory. This is how you can see whether a 512, 1024 or 2048 MB module is installed in your T5.

If you install new Expansion content on the T5 using the USB stick method, the Expansion Memory Module is always reformatted first, i.e. all previous expansion content is first deleted from the T5. This "formatting" has nothing to do with the internal hard disk or the internal flash memory (User drive), and nothing is "slowed down". ;)

In order to combine several Packs (or partial contents from different Packs), ALL packs must first be imported into the YEM. Then click on your "Install Target" (TYROS5) and select the desired Packs (so that each Pack symbol has a light green tick). If necessary, you can also deselect certain contents in the Packs in order to exclude them from the installation (e.g. to save storage space). The color of the tick in the Pack symbol then changes from light green to dark green.

You wrote that some Expansion Packs are currently installed on your T5. In order not to lose them when you install new packs, you absolutely need the installation data for these packs, i.e. the corresponding .cpf or .ppf files from the previous owner. However, if the Packs are Yamaha Packs that had to be purchased earlier, they can probably NOT be imported into the YEM with the original .cpf file. Most of the Yamaha Packs that were previously chargeable are now free anyway. So first check the available Packs here (select Tyros5 above!), and then use these packs. Note: There are separate versions for Tyros5-61 and for Tyros5-76!
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/vse/index.html

Instead of creating a Pack Install file (.cpi/.ppi) of the desired Expansion content on the USB stick and then installing it from the USB stick on the T5, you can also use the "WiFi method". This has the advantage that the Expansion Memory Module is not always reformatted when Expansion content is added.

The Yamaha USB WiFi stick "UD-WL01" is usually included with the Tyros5. You connect this stick to the rear USB-to-Device socket and connect the Tyro5 in "Infrastructure Mode" to your WiFi router (which is also connected to your computer via WiFi). If everything fits, an additional symbol appears in the "Install Target" in the YEM, which indicates the existing WiFi connection. (If not, you can click on the plus sign and select "Search Instruments".) To transfer (install) the packs currently selected in YEM, click on the "Send to Instrument" button.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
It helped a lot, Chris! Thank you very much.
greetings

Offline overover

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2021, 04:41:23 PM »
Thanks again for your feedback, Gabriel!

To be on the safe side:

All you need is clicking on the link in my last post. There you will find all currently available Packs for Tyros5.

As mentioned before, select "Tyros5" on the top left of the site.

Then click on each Pack that interests you one after the other and download it by clicking on the "correct" link (Tyros5-61 or -76, depending on which instrument you have). After unzipping the downloaded zip file, you can import the included .cpf file into the YEM.

P.S.
If you don't filter the mentioned Pack site by "Tyros5" you will see all available Packs. But note that the Packs which have no Tyros5 download links are NOT compatible with Tyros5.

Have fun!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 04:45:44 PM by overover »

Offline ckobu

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2021, 04:50:28 PM »
casper, Thank you!
But, on the yamaha website it says the following: "The Tyros5 is able to add some Yamaha's Voice & Style Expansion Packs, including some packs available for PSR-S series keyboards."
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/tyros5/expansion.html
The conclusion is that, despite not mentioning the models, I would be talking about packs made for PSR that also have a version for the tyros5, would that be it?
Greetings

Yamaha is not an updated website. This claim referred to the free Packages (ppf) that came with the PSR S series. With each keyboard, the customer received a free package of their choice. That was 4 -5 years ago and these Packs could be install in Tyros5 because they were not protected. Then Yamaha allowed free download of all packages, even those that were on sale before. These Packs are protected (cpf) and can only be installed on a specific keyboard model.

Of course, if you have a ppf package from the old PSR S series, you can type them into Tyros5.

regards, casper

henrycar

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2021, 09:39:47 PM »
P.S.
There are complete HDD backup kits for the Tyros5 (hard drive including caddy). If you always keep the current backup on such an exchange hard disk, you can replace the hard disk in a few seconds in the event of a defect:

Chris:
If I take the Tyros 5 HDD out and make a full copy (Instead of a BACKUP), of the drive to another drive just like the one from the T5, can I replace the original drive for this one and get the keyboard to play all the files like as in the original.
In other words will a COPYof the hdd work as if  it was a CLONE ?

Offline overover

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 10:45:34 PM »
P.S.

Chris:
If I take the Tyros 5 HDD out and make a full copy (Instead of a BACKUP), of the drive to another drive just like the one from the T5, can I replace the original drive for this one and get the keyboard to play all the files like as in the original.
In other words will a COPYof the hdd work as if  it was a CLONE ?

Hi Henry,

For the sake of completeness: A backup (that is as up-to-date as possible) created with the internal BACKUP function on a USB stick (.bup file) is also very important in order to be able to restore the user-defined system settings (including the User drive) relatively quickly in the event of an error. I also recommend saving the User System files (System Setup, MIDI Setup, User Effects and possibly Music Finder) and important files in the User drive separately. So far, however, none of this has anything to do with the hard drive. ;)

To back up the T5's hard drive, it is sufficient to select ALL files (including the hidden folder "AUDIOREC.ROOT" in the root directory of the hard drive!), then COPY all these files to the clipboard and then PASTE the copied data in a new, empty folder on the PC. From there you can then copy the data to a T5 replacement hard drive if necessary. IMPORTANT: Only the CONTENT of the backup folder may be copied here, not the entire folder!

Theoretically, you could of course copy the data directly from the T5 hard drive to a replacement hard drive. However, I advise against that, because then you will no longer have an additional backup on the computer.

To say it explicitly again: There is NO "image" of the hard disk to be created, and it does not have to be "cloned", it is completely sufficient to simply COPY ALL files in the same folder structure to the replacement hard disk.

A "T5 Hard drive backup kit" also contains a SATA to USB adapter (which works exactly like the adapter installed directly on the original hard disk). This means that the replacement hard disk (just like the removed original hard disk) can be connected directly to the computer (via a MINI USB to USB A cable) .The replacement hard disk is already mounted on an identical "slide" (the so-called "caddy") so that the hard disk can be replaced very quickly (if necessary within a minute) in the event of a fault.

P.S.
Please be careful when removing the original hard disk from the Tyros5: On the circuit board of the original SATA to USB adapter (at the rear of the hard disk), there is a round, black component (an electrical coil) that can easily be damaged by carelessly pulling out the caddy.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:56:53 PM by overover »

henrycar

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2021, 11:04:41 PM »
Very explicit Chris, Thanks.
 So if we take the T5 HDD out plug it up to the PC, then make a FULL COPY of it to the PC and in case that the T5 HDD brakes down you just have to get a new HDD, COPY all the files to it from the PC and it will be just like the original T5 HDD, the keyboard will play every thing like nothing happened.
So a copy of that T5 HDD software to the PC will be enough to to replace it in case of any problems. Am I correct?
No need for a BACKUP? The COPY will be the BACKUP

Offline overover

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2021, 01:03:26 AM »
Very explicit Chris, Thanks.
 So if we take the T5 HDD out plug it up to the PC, then make a FULL COPY of it to the PC and in case that the T5 HDD brakes down you just have to get a new HDD, COPY all the files to it from the PC and it will be just like the original T5 HDD, the keyboard will play every thing like nothing happened.
So a copy of that T5 HDD software to the PC will be enough to to replace it in case of any problems. Am I correct?
No need for a BACKUP? The COPY will be the BACKUP

Yes, Henry, you are absolutely right about the T5 hard drive: COPYING all data IS the BACKUP. I would like to add that you should always have important backups on at least two independent volumes. So copy the folder with the T5 hard disk data from the computer to an external hard drive and then keep it at a different, safe place. If you have a fast internet connection, you could also upload a copy to an online storage service.

But just as important as a hard drive backup is, as I said, a backup of the data in the internal flash memory. You can find the buttons for saving the previously mentioned System files under "Function > Utility > tab System Reset". (The button for the internal Backup function, via which the User drive and System files are saved in a common .bup file, can be found under "Function > Utility > Owner".)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 01:09:25 AM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

henrycar

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2021, 05:36:21 PM »
Hi Chris, the reason I asked about the Full Copy of the T5 HDD I was hopping by doing this copy you will get all files from the keyboard, but now that you explained something else that I should also backup the DATA on the internal Flash Memory.
So, the keyboard does not have every thing saved on the HDD. There are Yamaha exclusive files , I think, in other place. This is data that you can not change right?.
By "Internal Flash Memory", you mean the MEMORY that is used to save all the PACK Styles? or there is any other Flash Memory besides this one?.

Best Regards
Henrycar

Offline overover

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2021, 06:48:20 PM »
Hi Henry,

The Tyros5 has three memory areas:
1) internal Flash Memory. It contains the user defined System settings and the USER drive)
2) internal Hard Disk (HD1). It contains the system folder AUDIOREC.ROOT, used by the Audio Multi Track Recorder, and the system folder "Expansion", which contains all data of the Expansion Packs except the WAVE data!))
3) optional Flash ROM Memory Module. It contains the WAVE data of the installed Expansion Packs. You can NOT backup this memory. Your backup for the installed Expansion Packs is the imported content in the YEM, the original .cpf and .ppf Pack files and, if you had installed the Packs via USB stick, the original .cpi / .ppi Pack Install file you had saved from the YEM onto the USB stick.

So, as mentioned before, ...
- use the internal Backup function for the internal Flash Memory,
- additionally, it is recommended to save the four single System files (in "System Reset" tab),
- and copy all files of the internal hard disk to the computer and ideally also  to another (external) hard drive.

It is NOT enough to just copy the data from the internal hard disk, you should definitely use the internal Backup function as well. The internal flash memory could suddenly be reset by an error, and then you would lose your current system settings and your files in the User drive.

Note: A .bup file (created with the internal backup function) can only be completely restored. (This affects, as I said, the system settings and the content of the User drive.) However, you cannot extract specific files from a .bup file. I.e. with the RESTORE function, the User drive is always overwritten with the "old" data. And that's why you should also back up the system files and the files in the User drive (e.g. styles) separately. (Each file type must be copied separately onto the USB stick!)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 12:22:44 AM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

henrycar

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2021, 06:09:39 PM »
Note: A .bup file (created with the internal backup function) can only be completely restored. (This affects, as I said, the system settings and the content of the User drive.) However, you cannot extract specific files from a .bup file. I.e. with the RESTORE function, the User drive is always overwritten with the "old" data. And that's why you should also back up the system files and the files in the User drive (e.g. styles) separately. (Each file type must be copied separately onto the USB stick!)

Thanks Chris, this is very important and must be T5 users out there that did not know this.
I new about the exclusive Yamaha files, like I said before, but I though every thing was recorded on the T5 HDD.
I wonder where the optional Flash ROM Memory Module is located?

Thanks again Chris

Offline overover

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2021, 01:58:20 PM »
... I wonder where the optional Flash ROM Memory Module is located? ...

It is located under the unscrewable cover plate on the underside of the Tyros5. (See also the chapter "Installing the Optional Flash Memory Expansion Module" in the T5 Owner's Manual, pages 108/109).

Best regards,
Chris

henrycar

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2021, 06:18:46 PM »
Oh, I was thinking on a different flash memory inside the keyboard.

Of course I knew about The Flash Memory Expansion Module the one we use to download and save the Expansion Packs from Yamaha.
Sorry Chris, I made you explain something that is well known for every one,.

Thanks for your time, and will to help!

Offline overover

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2021, 12:05:57 AM »
Oh, I was thinking on a different flash memory inside the keyboard.

Of course I knew about The Flash Memory Expansion Module the one we use to download and save the Expansion Packs from Yamaha.
Sorry Chris, I made you explain something that is well known for every one,.

Thanks for your time, and will to help!

No problem, Henry! I hope everything is clear to you now regarding the data backup with the Tyros5.

P.S.
By the way: I had already mentioned in this thread that the WAVE data of the Expansion Voices are stored in the Flash ROM Expansion Memory Module, and that you CANNOT backup the content of this memory: ;)

Hi Gabriel,

Hi Henry,
The Tyros5 has three memory areas:
1) internal Flash Memory. It contains the user defined System settings and the USER drive)
2) internal Hard Disk (HD1). It contains the system folder AUDIOREC.ROOT, used by the Audio Multi Track Recorder, and the system folder "Expansion", which contains all data of the Expansion Packs except the WAVE data!)
3) optional Flash ROM Memory Module. It contains the WAVE data of the installed Expansion Packs. You can NOT backup this memory. Your backup for the installed Expansion Packs is the imported content in the YEM, the original .cpf and .ppf Pack files and, if you had installed the Packs via USB stick, the original .cpi / .ppi Pack Install file you had saved from the YEM onto the USB stick.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 12:20:21 AM by overover »