Author Topic: Bass pedals and stand  (Read 3188 times)

Offline gd47

Bass pedals and stand
« on: February 07, 2021, 02:06:52 AM »
Many thanks to all for the kind welcome I’ve received on this forum...a much-needed breath of fresh air!
Now for my problems...
Paired up my SX900 with M Audio keyboard and Roland PK5 bass pedals, relatively successfully using a K&M Omega stand with various modified accessories to accommodate the two keyboards (not set up according to K&M instructions!). Have read the excellent post/ photos on the stand topic, but an X stand wouldn’t be suitable for bass pedals, although an ingenious design.

Not happy with the Roland PK5, so constructed a 2 octave pedalboard from a Doepfer MBP25 kit, which has again proved to be successful.

Unfortunately, the Omega stand is too short to accommodate the 1m length of the pedalboard.
Can anyone recommend a stand...I’ve scoured the internet and can’t find anything suitable!

Additionally, there is no sustain on the MBP25...is there a keyboard workaround for this?

Also, there is no velocity sensitivity on the MBP25... the preset control change value must be set in the config menu... can anyone suggest a setting which will work on most (if not all!) pedal voices?

Apologies for the length of this post and many thanks in advance for any advice.

Kind regards,
George.

Offline RobertM

Re: Bass pedals and stand
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 06:15:50 AM »
Hello again George,
I see you have progressed from last time and I had much the same problem.
If portability is not a consideration have a look around for a student desk. The "stand" I used came from Big W (Australia), took very little modification, (cut about 45 mm from the legs), and cost about A $40 from memory.
Just a thought, it may not suit your setup.
Robert.

The following users thanked this post: gd47

Offline RobertM

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 06:31:43 AM »
George,
Meant to add this photo from meyrick thread. The stand does not show up very well so if of interest then I can provide more details,
Robert.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 02:20:30 PM »
... there is no sustain on the MBP25...is there a keyboard workaround for this? ...

... Also, there is no velocity sensitivity on the MBP25. ...

Hi George,

if you use a keyboard Part (e.g. Right 3 or Left) for the MBP25, you can tweak the voices in "Voice Edit", if needed:

- On the Voice Selection display, touch "Menu" then [Voice Edit] to call up the Voice Edit display.

- To add "Sustain" to a certain voice go to "Sound" tab > EG and slightly increase the "Release" value.

- For Bass voices with "Sustain" (increased "Release") it can be good if you switch the voice from "Poly" (polyphonically) to "Mono" (monophonically). To do this, go to Page 2/2 in "Common" tab.

- In "Common" tab (page 1/1) you can also adjust the behavior of the voice to the Velocity sent by the MBP25 exactly. Use the parameters "Touch Sensitivity" Depth and Offset  for this.

- When you are finished, touch "Save" to save the edited Voice (in the User drive or onto a USB stick). Note: Be sure to have called up your edited User Voice before creating Registrations.

- Please refer to the SX900 Reference Manual, pages 46 - 49:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=keyboards&k=psr-sx900

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 02:32:20 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline RobertM

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 11:29:46 PM »
Hi George,
Found the box under the house.
KODU Kendall Writing Desk.
Photo attached.
Robert.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline gd47

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 09:44:41 PM »
Very many thanks to both Robert and Chris, who have both been extremely knowledgable and helpful.

Unfortunately, my keyboards need to be portable (in the hope of working again after this “house arrest”!). If it was a permanent setup that would have been perfect and cost effective (and I really appreciate the effort of finding the box for the photo!).

I was actually in bed last night thinking about the stand issue and I may have come up with a solution...I’ll post some photos if it works. Much easier than trying to explain!

As for the bass sustain issue, until now I‘ve been very reluctant to edit anything (I’m sure my manual says something like “Do not enter...here lies dragons”) but thanks to Chris’s excellent instructions I have now overcome my phobia and the problem is sorted!
Incidentally, Chris, have you ever thought of writing user manuals? Your instructions are far easier to follow than the Yamaha manual.

Once again, many thanks to all.
Kind regards,
George.

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 10:55:52 PM »
Thank you for your kind feedback, George!

I am very happy that my tips helped you.

P.S.
... Incidentally, Chris, have you ever thought of writing user manuals? Your instructions are far easier to follow than the Yamaha manual. ...

No, I hadn't considered writing manuals for Yamaha keyboards yet. On the other hand, I had written well over 10,000 posts in the German Yamaha forum (which has unfortunately been closed for some time). I just try to answer user questions about PSR, CVP, Tyros models and, of course, Genos in the best possible but easily understandable way. :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 11:39:14 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Teknoss

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 04:01:37 AM »
I have the same K&M Omega stand and use a 27 key pedalboard (Nord) and had the same problem.
 What I did is that I went to a welder to modify the stand.
 He cut it in half and added a piece to make it bigger.

Many thanks to all for the kind welcome I’ve received on this forum...a much-needed breath of fresh air!
Now for my problems...
Paired up my SX900 with M Audio keyboard and Roland PK5 bass pedals, relatively successfully using a K&M Omega stand with various modified accessories to accommodate the two keyboards (not set up according to K&M instructions!). Have read the excellent post/ photos on the stand topic, but an X stand wouldn’t be suitable for bass pedals, although an ingenious design.

Not happy with the Roland PK5, so constructed a 2 octave pedalboard from a Doepfer MBP25 kit, which has again proved to be successful.

Unfortunately, the Omega stand is too short to accommodate the 1m length of the pedalboard.
Can anyone recommend a stand...I’ve scoured the internet and can’t find anything suitable!

Additionally, there is no sustain on the MBP25...is there a keyboard workaround for this?

Also, there is no velocity sensitivity on the MBP25... the preset control change value must be set in the config menu... can anyone suggest a setting which will work on most (if not all!) pedal voices?

Apologies for the length of this post and many thanks in advance for any advice.

Kind regards,
George.
Genos 2, Korg PA5X, Ketron EventX, Nord PedalKeys27

Offline gd47

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 03:14:54 PM »
Back again!!

Can someone please tell me if I’m trying to achieve something which is impossible?

Thanks to the excellent instructions from Chris, I’ve managed to edit and save a bass voice which I’m really happy with.

However, whenever I try to edit a style by replacing the bass with the edited and saved user voice, the saved user voice just reverts to the original unedited version!

I can play the saved voice on R3 (which I can assign to the bass pedals) but that means I can only use R1 and R2 on the keyboard.

Basically, is there any way to add an edited user voice to a default style?

Hope this makes sense!

Many thanks,
George.

Offline RobertM

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 05:24:24 PM »
Hi George,
I'm no expert on this subject but I think you will have to save a COPY of the style first. You cannot edit a preset style.
Then include your new bass voice in the copy, resave, and that should do it.....
Robert.

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 05:25:10 PM »
... Can someone please tell me if I’m trying to achieve something which is impossible?

Thanks to the excellent instructions from Chris, I’ve managed to edit and save a bass voice which I’m really happy with.

However, whenever I try to edit a style by replacing the bass with the edited and saved user voice, the saved user voice just reverts to the original unedited version!

I can play the saved voice on R3 (which I can assign to the bass pedals) but that means I can only use R1 and R2 on the keyboard.

Basically, is there any way to add an edited user voice to a default style? ...

Hi George,

a User Voice (= a Preset Voice that was edited in Voice Edit and/or in Mixer, and then saved in Voice Edit) can only be used in Keyboard Parts (Right 1 - 3 and Left).

If you use a User Voice to revoice a certain Part of a Style or a MIDI file, the changed (edited) Voice Set (which is stored in the User Voice file) is IGNORED, and only the unchanged Preset Voice (on which the User Voice is based) is loaded.

On Genos or Tyros5 you can use the Voice Editor in the Expansion Manager (YEM) to make a so called Custom Voice that is based on a Preset Voice. But this is not possible on PSR-S/SX model.

A relative simple method is to use an internal SONG Part for the Bass Voice played on the Bass Pedal.

Q: Do you only play with Styles, or do you also use MIDI files when you play the Bass Pedal?

Please first answer this question, then I can give you further information. :)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline RobertM

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 06:46:22 PM »
Hi George and Chris,
An article on Yamaha Keyboard Club website that I found very helpful is titled Tyros Twin Conversion by Abraham and is still available as a pdf download. It includes some details on using midi song channel(s) for pedal voices.
I may be able to include as an attachment here, but I'm not sure if this is allowed.
Robert.

Offline RobertM

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 06:52:03 PM »
Sorry, correction.
The article is by Leigh Wilbraham
Robert.

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 06:59:39 PM »
... An article on Yamaha Keyboard Club website that I found very helpful is titled Tyros Twin Conversion by Abraham and is still available as a pdf download. It includes some details on using midi song channel(s) for pedal voices.
I may be able to include as an attachment here, but I'm not sure if this is allowed. ...

Hi Robert,

just copy the complete download link (URL) for this PDF (e.g. from the adress bar of your browser) and then paste it into your post.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline gd47

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 07:29:26 PM »
Thanks again to all for your very helpful replies...at least I now know what’s possible!

In answer to Chris’s question, I don’t use midi tracks at all...just preset styles at present, although now I may try to create new ones, having seen some of the procedure re: editing!

Once again, very many thanks.

Best wishes,
George.

Offline RobertM

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 07:59:42 PM »
Thanks Chris,
Unable to copy a link as the site goes straight to a pdf download, but  search:-

Tyros5 Organ Conversion - The Yamaha Club

Regards,
Robert.

Offline overover

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 08:25:49 PM »

Offline RobertM

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2021, 08:40:05 PM »
Well done!
Thanks.
Robert.