Author Topic: How do you play if you leave me now by Chicago...  (Read 2307 times)

Tyros567

How do you play if you leave me now by Chicago...
« on: February 05, 2021, 09:52:56 PM »
Using measures 4/4 and 2/4 , as the original, tap tempo does not work well to play it live , and I don’t want to play it differently than the original no short or longer measures , thanks (yamaha Genos)

Offline mikf

Re: How do you play if you leave me now by Chicago...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 11:05:36 PM »
That might be quite difficult on an arranger playing live with a style. To be honest, in the few situations where this occurs I would usually just stretch it to fit the 4/4. No one really will notice, and IMHO worrying about this kind of very minor deviation from an original recording is unnecessary.
Mike

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 11:09:35 PM »
I agree with Mike...myself would play it all 4/4.
Another option is have one RGT in 4/4 and second RGT in 2/4 to switch as needed.
DGX670

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 11:26:08 PM »
I sometimes go with what Mike suggests - just stretch the 2/4 bar into 4/4.

Or you could use Jorgen Sorensen's 1/2 bar fill-in creator app, and put a 2/4 fill in at that point.

Hey Jude is a Grade 4 exam piece that almost all my students choose. They get two copies of the music, one with the original 2/4 bar and one with a 4/4 bar. And they get two versions of the Hey Jude style, one with the 2/4 fill in. They try both and make up their own mind - it's a 50/50 split so far.

More challenging are the pieces with a 1/4 bar (or a 5/4). I usually handle these by carefully using Sync Stop!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 11:53:37 PM »
Hi Tyros567,

you could assign the Style Reset function to a footswitch (instead of using the "Tap Tempo" button).

It would also be possible to work with the Style Sync Stop function in conjunction with a programmed "Synchro Stop Window" (so that the Style will only stop when you play a chord very SHORTLY).

In this case, however, I would simply use a MIDI file that is programmed in the original song sequence. You can mute certain channels and then play "over" the MIDI file.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 09:05:12 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline ton37

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 06:34:48 AM »
And what about using the style reset function?
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Eric, B

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 07:41:40 PM »
Using measures 4/4 and 2/4 , as the original, tap tempo does not work well to play it live , and I don’t want to play it differently than the original no short or longer measures , thanks (yamaha Genos)

Look at 3:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXeE2YZL8sE
Michel uses the Intro button for the 2/4 part I think.
The Style has been in all keyboards since Tyros1
Hope this helps
Eric
Genos, PSR-S970

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 08:01:41 PM »
Fantastic!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline maartenb

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 02:29:13 PM »
Genos has half bar fills out of the box. You don't need Jorgen's 1/2 fill creator software anymore.

Maarten

Offline maartenb

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 04:08:13 PM »

Yes, Michel uses Intro 2. You can see that here from a different angle: https://youtu.be/JjlV3SwxMfI?t=182

Maarten

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 04:51:56 PM »
Look at 3:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXeE2YZL8sE

He's using Intro II, which is two bars long, but after the first bar of this intro he returns to the main variation C (to do so just press the main variation button before the end of the first bar). Clever move (Michel is a smart guy...), but doing this he strictly stays in 4/4. Personally I like Michel's solution, but it's not what the OP was after.

Thanks though for the video link, nice remembrance...

Edit:

The Style has been in all keyboards since Tyros1

I just checked those styles, and I think that the Tyros 1 version of 8BeatBallad was definetly the best for the Chicago song. It has this distinctive groove (have a listen to the acoustic rhythm guitar) and the horns in Intro II that matches the Chicago song quite well. Unfortunately this was lost in later incarnations of that style. The Genos version is 70s8BeatBallad, and it would be rewarding trying to use style assambly to get the Tyros1 groove and the horns into the Genos version.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 05:18:58 PM by Dromeus »
Regards, Michael