Author Topic: Registration Memory on PSR e373  (Read 5992 times)

Offline flailman

Registration Memory on PSR e373
« on: January 31, 2021, 12:24:05 AM »
When I save a registration, do I forfeit the info currently stored there?  It appears the S.Lite articulation stuff is stored there already.  I don't want to lose these effects. They are pretty cool.
DGX 670, PSR-E373 and PSS-480

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Registration Memory on PSR e373
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 06:00:45 AM »
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/629717.pdf

Please check page 45 for the Factory Registration.

Yes you'll have to overwrite the settings if you want to store your settings.

Norman.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline flailman

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 04:38:31 PM »
Thanks! That's what  I thought would happen. I really like experimenting with what the factory put there so don't want to delete until I am sure I will not use them.  I also presume once gone, they are gone forever?

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 12:38:24 AM »
I have no direct experience with the new PSR-E373, but as I understand it, the S.Art Lite features are simply "hardwired" to particular pre-programmed sounds in the instrument, so that if you select one of those sounds, you can use the S.Art Lite button to activate that feature/sound-enhancement for that particular sound.  In that case, there would be no way to erase those features, as they are permanently factory preset, likely in ROM.

The registrations are a different matter.  The registrations allow you to take most of the major settings that you can do with this keyboard, such as dual and split voice selections, added reverb and chorus enhancements, and background style settings, and then save them as a preset to a registration.  That way, any time you want that combination of sounds and style, you can simply hit one or two buttons to call up that registration with those settings, instead of having to manually set all of those parameters on the control panel each time.  Keep in mind, however, that this keyboard only has (I believe) 9 registrations that you can store.

Now, yes, if there was already a set of parameters stored in one of the registrations, and then you store something else in that registration, then the original settings are gone forever.  If there are special factory preset registrations (as opposed to just all of the factory preset registrations being some sort of basic default, like just a piano sound, for example), then yes, they will also disappear when you store new information (your own registration parameters) in those registrations.  However, doing a factory reset on the keyboard may bring back whatever was the factory default settings for those registrations -- and of course, erase whatever settings you may have stored there.

But, to the best of my understanding of this keyboard, nothing you do will alter the S.Art. Lite capabilities of the sounds that have that feature programmed with them, as they are tied to the individual pre-programed sounds, not to the registrations.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 12:41:08 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline flailman

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 04:35:57 PM »
Thanks! I think I will try to kick this one to Yamaha themselves as I spend a fair amount of time trying to "compose" a set of values and would like to save those other than in a notebook, but the S,Art Lite sounds are really intriguing and a challenge for an arranger to work them into an arrangement.  I did see on page 46 that  doing a Backup Clear operation will restore to factory settings, so you must be right, they are hard programmed in there somewhere.  I think Yamaha is giving us rookies a little taste of this feature in this entry level machine so we start thinking about what's possible with the higher level machines they have.  I will post again if Yamaha shares anything we missed.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 05:43:42 PM »
Yes, the SArt (Lite) effect is a property of the selected voice. It will always be available on that voice, whether the voice is selected from the panel or called up by a registration.

Not all voices have an SArt effect associated with them though. This is true on all models, but of course as you move up the range you get more of them.
Genos

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 06:21:26 PM »
Hi Flailman,

I don’t know the particulars of the E373, but generally in the E series, there is a possibility to save the onboard registration memory slots in a backup file. Have a look in your keyboard manuals and you should find out more about this.

This is a very convenient feature, because since there are only 9 memory slots in the E373, this enables you to save several files to have backup for different settings, for instance if you intend to take or give lessons, or to do some gigging, with this keyboard.

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 11:03:16 AM »
This reminds me of the PSR-E433, which used some of the Registration memories to store One Touch Settings information for (if I remember correctly) the Patterns, which were first added to the PSR-E4xx line with the PSR-E433. Saving your own information to the Registrations in question would cause you to lose those One Touch Settings, and the only way to get them back was to do a factory reset-- not a good solution.

When the PSR-E443 came out, those One Touch Settings were "moved" to ROM memory so they wouldn't get overwritten-- which is odd when you think about it, since they must have already been stored somewhere in ROM, otherwise how could they be restored by doing a factory reset? So if they were already in ROM, why copy them into the Registration memories and read them from there in the first place?

If the PSR-E373 is using Registration memories to store certain settings, I suspect that the next model might be redesigned so those settings will be read directly from ROM-- but that's just a guess.

Offline flailman

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 04:43:10 PM »
When I kicked this question to Yamaha Support via "Chat", the respondent advised this was a Level 2 issue and would be responded to via email.  No response via email was ever received, but I did receive a survey via email asking how I liked their support so I presume that means the question is still rattling around in their system somewhere just like the SALite data has to be hard coded in the keyboard somewhere.  There is so much cool stuff to study with the PSR-E373 that this is not a big issue of immediate concern, but once I stumble across a set of values I would like to use again without a lot of thought, it would be nice to just pull that from Registration Memory without worrying about what the trade-offs were.  Appreciate all the inputs.

Offline flailman

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 04:45:32 PM »
Also pretty amazing to get 6 replies via the forum while getting none from Yamaha.  Big, big example of why this site is so great.  Thanks to all who keep it up and thriving.

Offline flailman

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 05:01:37 PM »
I did finally get a call from Yamaha and they did confirm that while most PSR Series keyboards ship from factory with nothing in the Registration Memory, they did elect to use those slots for 9 of the new Super Articulation Lite Voices on this newest machine in the category and that putting my own data in one of those slots will overwrite what the factory has placed there.  The phone call did NOT address if the displaced voice can be restored via a factory reset.  Still some questions remaining, like if the "picture" of my board that I am trying to save uses the voice that is in that slot, is it still going to sound when I try again to use that voice. It will be interesting to see how the new 473 handles this.

Offline SciNote

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 09:49:22 PM »
I'm not really sure what you mean by, "is it still going to sound when I try again to use that voice", but the thing to remember is that, when you store your keyboard settings in a registration, you are simply saving a list of all of the parameters (that the keyboard allows you to store in the registration) that you have set up, such as the sound of your main voice, the sound of your dual voice, the sound of your split voice, the settings for your style (such as which style number and the tempo), and any sound enhancements (like reverb and chorus) that can be stored.  If my experience is any guide (and I seriously doubt that they changed this), saving anything to a registration in no way affects the characteristics and timbre of any of the keyboard's preset sounds that you may be saving to that registration.

Those sounds, along with any applicable S.Art Lite features associated with them, are hardwired into the keyboard and cannot be permanently changed even if you wanted to do so, and you are free to use those sounds as often as you want in as many registrations that you want -- up to the limit of the number of registrations your keyboard allows.  You can make enhancements to the sounds, such as adding chorus, reverb, and (I believe) special DSP effects, and then save those enhancements to the sound to a registration, but doing this does not permanently change the characteristics and timbre of the preset sounds that you used.  When you store the sound to the registration, you are NOT telling the keyboard to make permanent changes to the original sound -- you are simply storing the instructions to call up your desired tones and make your desired enhancements to them, just like you would do manually by selecting a voice number and turning on features like reverb and chorus -- but now, with the sound stored in a registration, calling up the registration just virtually "pushes the buttons" to call up the voice numbers and sound enhancements you select.  But again, none of this permanently changes the original waveform, timbre, and S.Art Lite features of the voices you use.

For example, let's say you select a trumpet sound.  When you first call up that tone, it will sound a certain way.  Now, let's say you add reverb and chorus and make that trumpet sound like a nice, echo-y, swirling synth-type sound.  Now, if you like that sound, you can save it to a registration, so that you can call up that sound -- the  trumpet along with all of the sound enhancements you added -- with the push of a button.  But saving this sound to the registration in no way changes the waveform or timbre of the original trumpet sound that is stored in the keyboard in the keyboard's list of hundreds of preset sounds.  If you turn off all of the reverb and chorus and other effects you may have switched on, and then call up the trumpet sound again (by selecting it from the keyboard's preset voices, not from your registration), then it will sound just like it did before you applied the synth-type-sound modifications and stored your registration.  But if you then call up your registration, you'll get the modified synth-type trumpet sound that you created by adding all of the special effects, because you stored all of those effects, along with the trumpet sound, in that registration.

Think of it like storing a word processing document on your computer.  When you save the document, you are saving a collection of all of the letters that you used and in the proper order to make up the words of your document, as well as any important characteristics such font size and spacing.  And maybe you are applying modifications like bold-face and italics to some of the letters.  This would be like storing a registration on the keyboard.  But just because your document that you saved to the hard drive may have had the letters, say, "a" and "n" in them in bold-face or italic, that in no way affects your ability to use the letters "a" and "n" again to type up a new document, and it does not change the appearance of those letters when you use them in a new document.  The appearance of those letters, without the modifications like bold-face or italics, are stored in your word processing program, and they will not change just because you added "enhancements" like bold-face and italics to them when you typed up and stored a previous document.  So, in a similar fashion, the preset sounds of your keyboard are stored or hardwired in the keyboard and will not change just because you previously applied sound-enhancements to them and stored them in a registration.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 10:29:35 PM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

jaredvanhensen

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 09:04:24 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get my DSP settings and sustain setting (ON) stored to the keyboard but whatever I try it will not get SAVED. I use the Memory function button and try saving to registration bank 1 , 2 ... to 9 (I tried them all). It says OVERWRITE? and I click the YES button...it says MEM OK (So everything looks fine). But as soon as i switch to another registration and then go back i find that NOTHING HAS BEEN SAVED. I tried a factory reset but still the same problem. It does not seem to store my settings (DSP, sustain and dual voice). Driving me nuts. Doing everything like the manual says.

Anyone got any idea ? Would be much appreciated. Thanx so much in advance... I really want to store my custom made sound.