Author Topic: Is there a DAW that can edit exported PSR-E series MIDI and return it?  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Piano Tone

I was trying to make a backing track on my PSR-EW425 as a MIDI song, but the ending for the style doesn't work well so I was thinking of exporting it to a DAW to edit and then see if it can be re-opened with my changes on the keyboard.  I only really use Garageband on iPad (which cannot export MIDI) so was wondering if anyone has ever done this type of thing and if so - recommendations on a DAW?  I have Ableton and Cakewalk, but have been too busy to spend much time learning them.

My other solution for this might be easier anyways; let the style keep running on the keyboard but mute the drums during recording, and finger drum my ending - probably easier . . .

Offline pjd

Re: Is there a DAW that can edit exported PSR-E series MIDI and return it?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 07:38:17 PM »
Hi --

MIDI is pretty much MIDI.  :) So, any MIDI-capable DAW should do the job.

What makes a MIDI song specific to a particular arranger are the program change messages, DSP effect set-up messages, etc. The PSR E series has a relatively limited MIDI implementation, so the learning curve is not as steep as SX series or Genos. I recommend reading the MIDI reference for the EW425 and keep in mind that it supports the most common MIDI CC messages like channel volume, pan, chorus level and reverb level even if those messages are not explicitly described in the MIDI reference PDF.

For this job, I'd go with Cakewalk (a tool that I've used successfully with PSR and Genos for years). Ableton is a good tool, but I don't think of it as a Standard MIDI File (SMF) song editor like Cakewalk or Cubase. Garageband has its own quirks and limitations when handling external MIDI files; Apple limits the feature set so you'll buy Logic.

Just my two cents -- pj
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:39:29 PM by pjd »

Offline Piano Tone

Re: Is there a DAW that can edit exported PSR-E series MIDI and return it?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 07:53:20 PM »
Thanks!  I'm assuming I would have to edit the existing tracks I imported and not add any new tracks right (for the keyboard to be able to re-open the edited file?)