Author Topic: Style for Sweet Caroline  (Read 4336 times)

Online Rick D.

Style for Sweet Caroline
« on: January 29, 2021, 01:59:35 PM »
Hi Guys,

I use to enjoy playing Sweet Caroline (Neil Diamond), and came across the sheet music the other day, but can't for the life of me remember the style I used. Mind you this style could have been from any of the Tyros keyboards or the Genos. All I remember about it is the intro was song specific to Sweet Caroline like many of the style intros are.
I had it attached to a registration at one time on my Genos but I must have moved something at some point and broke the link.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick D.

Offline overover

Re: Style for Sweet Caroline
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 02:50:54 PM »
Hi Rick,

if you still have this Registration, just copy the Registration Bank file to a USB stick, then connect it to the computer and open that .rgt file in a Text Editor (e.g. Windows Editor/Notepad). If originally a "Non-Preset" Style was memorized to a Registration in that Bank, you will find the Style name in this way.

Alternatively, you could open that Registration file in Murray Best's "Yamaha Registration Manager" (YRM). Use version "5.1.1 Special":
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Online Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 03:01:33 PM »
Chris,

The problem is, The registration now points to a different style, not the one originally used that I am looking for.  I did a search of both USB Memory sticks and the User section. I'm not sure how I did this, but I fear it is gone for good unless someone in the forum has used it for the song themselves over the year. Like I mentioned, this could be from any one of the Tyros keyboards or the Genos. The distinctive part about it was it seemed to be made by Yamaha just for the song, as many styles are.
I have been doing a complete file restructuring trying to get all my registration off off the USB sticks and into the User section. I must have broken the link somehow, and inadvertently pointed it to this 6/8 Slow Rock 2 style which is ok but not the same one.

Thanks, Chris

Rick D.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 03:22:36 PM »
Hi Rick,

a Registration doesn't change "itself". But if originally e.g. a Tyros5 Preset Style was linked in a Registration, Genos may automatically use a different Style (a Genos Preset Style).

As mentioned before, IF an external Style was originally linked in that Registration, then you can "read out" it using a Text Editor. By using the "YRM" program, you can see the names both external or Preset Styles that are linked in each Registration of a Bank.

BUT if you should have already re-saved that Registration on the Genos, the "new" Style that was "recommended" by the Genos would have been written into the Registration ...

P.S.
I just found a T5 MusicFinder file that contains the song "Sweet Caroline". This record is pointing at the T5 Preset Style "BritPopSwing" (Rock&Pop category), Tempo 130. "BritPopSwing" is also on the Genos (Pop category)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:53:46 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline dr4sight

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 03:23:48 PM »
Rick,
You can try this style for Sweet Caroline.

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZTbBbXZXAfSOR4BHKYB3rRfBOL5AFTnapC7

regards,
Larry

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Dave Shively, resoldie, GrantB, lenzieman, Roshure, Armand, balcino

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 03:43:51 PM »
Hi Rick,

here is an update: :)

Have you installed the Genos 2.0 Superior Pack and the corresponding Playlist (folder "PlaylistForGenosV2SuperiorPack")?

This Playlist contains a record for "Sweet Caroline" that uses the Registration Bank file "Sweet Caroline.rgt". And this Registration uses the Style "60sClassicSoftRock.T550.prs".

If the Superior Pack is installed correctly, you can find that Style "60sClassicSoftRock" in the folder "User > Expansion > GenosV2.0 SuperiorPack".

If you also have installed the Superior Pack Playlist, you can either call up that Playlist record, or you can directly load the Registration Bank "Sweet Caroline" which is in that Playlist folder. (The Playlist folder must be copied into the Root directory of the USB stick, and this must be the ONLY stick connected to the Genos when using the Playlist.)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:50:02 PM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: Roshure

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 03:53:43 PM »
You can have more than one USB in keyboard but the one with the playlist must be inserted first so that it reads USB1.

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 03:55:43 PM »
You can have more than one USB in keyboard but the one with the playlist must be inserted first so that it reads USB1.

Yes, of course this is also possible, Eileen. Thank you for pointing this out!

Best regards,
Chris

Online Rick D.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 06:15:27 PM »
Chris,

I have learned a huge lesson today, thanks to you. As I mentioned before I didn't know why this registration stop working all of a sudden, then you jogged my memory.
I loaded the registration on a USB stick and transferred it to my PC. I opened it in Notebook as you suggested and sure enough, 60sClassicSoftRock was listed as the Style being used.
I went back to the keyboard and searched for it but only found different variations of what I was looking for.
Your second comment about the Genos 2.0 Superior pack is what jogged my memory. When it first came out, I installed the pack on my Genos, not realizing that I had used the 60sClassicSoftRock for the song Sweet Caroline I uninstalled it, because I didn't find it that useful to me, to install a bunch of other packs. This is what broke the link to my registration. The mystery of why it would no longer work is solved.
I just reinstalled Genos 2.0  Superior Pack and sure enough there it was.
I can't thank you enough for your help.
I will have to be more careful in the future.
Your knowledge of the Yamaha keyboards is extraordinary. Sometime when we have time, I would like to buy you lunch and you can tell me how you obtained all this knowledge on these keyboards.
Larry and Eileen, thank you for your help as well!

Thanks again,

Rick D.

PS. I love this forum!  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Ray

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 07:16:22 PM »
Thank you for your detailed feedback, Rick!

I'm glad to could help you! :)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline dr4sight

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 07:23:32 PM »
This is an interesting thread.
The 60sClassicSoftRock style sounds intriguing.  It is not available on my DGX-650.
Could someone please post a download link to it as a .sty file (or as a prs files which can be renamed sty.)
thanks

Larry

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 08:34:18 PM »
This is an interesting thread.
The 60sClassicSoftRock style sounds intriguing.  It is not available on my DGX-650.
Could someone please post a download link to it as a .sty file (or as a prs files which can be renamed sty.)
thanks

Larry

Hi Larry,

I found two conversions of this Style (one for Tyros5, originally provided by Xeenix, and one for S950, originally provided by Drake). Probably, these conversions will work on your DGX-650 "better" than the original Genos version.

You can download these two Styles here from my Dropbox:
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1cel3n4yglgx4w/60sClassicSoftRock%20for%20T5%20%26%20S950.zip?dl=0

Best regards,
Chris

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, tyrosguy85, lenzieman, balcino

Online Rick D.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 10:09:43 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have one more question.

In an attempt to prevent what I did from happening again, I tried to copy the style from the Expansion Pack and paste it in my USER files so if I want to remove this Expansion Pack again it won't break my Registration.
When I tried to do this, the Copy button is grayed out. Is there a workaround to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Rick D.

Online Rick D.

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 11:07:11 PM »
Update,

I went back and reviewed what I was trying to do and although the Copy button is grayed out, there is a Save button that allows you to save a style from an Expansion Pack into the User section.

Thanks,

Rick D.

Offline overover

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 01:20:10 AM »
Hi Rick,

yes, in the folder "Expansion" (and its subfolders) you cannot COPY files, but you can LOAD a file (in this case a Style) and then SAVE it to a location outside the Expansion folder.

If you want to COPY many files from the Expansion folder at once, you can use the USB Storage Mode:

- Connect the Genos' USB-to-Host socket to the computer (using a USB type AB cable).

- If not already done, switch on the computer, and switch off the Genos.

- Press and hold the "Playlist" button while powering on the Genos.

- After a short time the Genos User drive should appear as a new "removable drive" on the computer (in Windows Explorer or on Mac in the Finder).

- Now you can copy the desired files and paste them into another folder on the User drive or on the Computer. In this way you can also easily make a complete backup of the User drive (into a new folder on the computer or on another connected USB storage device).

Best regards,
Chris

The following users thanked this post: Rick D.

Online Rick D.

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2021, 04:24:36 AM »
Chris,

Thanks for the tips, right now my PC is 25 ft from the Genos. I don't think I could find a cable that long. I have been looking at laptops that I can use with the keyboard as I would also like to be able to use my DAW with the Genos too.  I tried to steal my wife's, but she wanted no part of it, knowing she would never get it back! LOL She knows me too well!

Thanks again for all your help, you are a huge asset to our forum!

Rick D.

Offline overover

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2021, 12:43:19 PM »
Thanks for your kind words, Rick!

Yes, 25 ft is a bit of a distance between the keyboard and the PC. The USB cable should not be longer than 3 m (about 10 ft). In theory, you could use something called an "active" USB cable (which amplifies the signal), so 25 feet and more would not be a problem. (Except that such a cable costs significantly more, and you can easily trip over it if it is laid across the room ...) ;)

Ideally, the PC should of course be right next to the keyboard. Just tell your wife that Chris from the forum said you "absolutely" need a laptop for the Genos. ;)

Best regards,
Chris

Online Rick D.

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2021, 12:56:57 PM »
LOL Chris,

Actually, she already said it would be fine to USE hers, as she is on her iPad the most these days. Laptops are pretty cheap these days anyway. You can get something decent for under $1000 now.
I will check out the active USB cable. In order for me to get a laptop near the keyboard, I would need some kind of wall-mounted support. I was looking at something like this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AHE9A2M?ref=cr_simh&pd_rd_w=zd9Oh&pf_rd_p=d83a5981-d74e-4f43-8543-17a2b516efa5&pd_rd_r=4d2d0558-acba-479e-ae0d-b20366032128&pd_rd_wg=aM4bg&tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-a0049-win10-other-nomod-us000-gatwy-feature-REC

Thanks again,

Rick D.