Author Topic: Using psr sx 600/700/900 as a soundmodule  (Read 3719 times)

janamdo

Using psr sx 600/700/900 as a soundmodule
« on: January 28, 2021, 07:22:25 PM »
Can i connect the keyboard with midi to a composerprogram in order to play styles in the composer ?
SX700/900 acts as a soundmodule then
Could this be possible ?

Note
Then it should for SX700/900 also be possible to connect Cubase DAW  ?

Jan
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:56:17 PM by janamdo »

Offline overover

Re: Using psr sx 700/900 as a soundmodule
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 08:58:48 PM »
Can i connect the keyboard with midi to a composerprogram in order to play styles in the composer ?
SX700/900 acts as a soundmodule then
Could this be possible ?

Note
Then it should for SX700/900 also be possible to connect Cubase DAW  ?

Jan

Yes, of course you can connect SX models to a computer via MIDI, Jan. But I thought you have a SX600 (?) ;)

The procedure differs slightly here: With the SX600 you install the "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver" on your computer. This means that both MIDI and audio connections via USB are possible.

SX700/900 do NOT support USB Audio. This is where you install the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver on your computer.

It is best to select the preset MIDI template "All Parts" on the keyboard.

It is important that you select MIDI Port 1 (Digital Workstation 1) as the MIDI Output device in the MIDI program (DAW) used on the computer. This is how you control the SONG parts of the SX sound generation. (Via MIDI Port 2, the internal keyboard parts (Right, Left) would be controlled which is normally NOT desired.)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

janamdo

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 11:24:44 PM »
Yes, of course you can connect SX models to a computer via MIDI, Jan. But I thought you have a SX600 (?) ;)

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,
Thanks

Yes, i do have a sx600, but when the new sx700 or sx900 are there developed and for sale  i will consider to upgrade my sx600  :D
I use the usb cable of course

I think i managed to get it working the sx600 in the composer, acting as a soundmodule and also i can record midi tracks in it with sx600 .
Must this setup do again to be sure.

Now i can load styles as midi in the composer by recording them in sx600. 

I am not using a DAW, but a composing program Synfire , so it differs the midi setup.
Hopefully  it is correct what i did.

Best regards
Jan

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 11:31:46 PM by janamdo »

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 11:49:49 PM »
Hi Jan,

thanks for your detailed feedback!

Please note that the SX600 is much newer than SX700/900. As mentioned, you have to do without USB Audio with the other SX models.

The SX600 also has certain contents (e.g. Voices) that are not included in the SX700/900. I also don't know yet whether SX600 Registrations can be used on SX700/900.

Regarding MIDI setup:
In principle, you always need the same settings when you connect a keyboard to the computer via MIDI: Make sure that the keyboard's MIDI Port 1 is always used on the computer (for both MIDI Output and MIDI Input).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

janamdo

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 08:25:34 AM »
Hi Chris

I do have here registrations of EZ Play Today Giant Hits No. 6 and used to get sx600 working with Mobilsheets pro
They work very well on sx600 the registrations

Only now i must try to connect sx600 for port 1 to all 16 midichannels as a fixed sound in composer soundrack.
Using mixer to assign sounds from sx600 into composer ?

I think a load first a recorded style from sx600 into composer and looks what happens about soundsassigning

Jan

janamdo

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 10:14:57 AM »
I loaded a midi made from a style from sx600 in the composer
The soundassigning from this midi instruments played in the arrangement screen from the composer is not correct yet.

The soundrack from composer has fixed channels , but no bankselection done by me yet
Now the midi is playing (receiving on sx600) on port 2 of the psrsx600 what is correct for the acmp tracks midichannel 9 to 16   
So i must get the same midichannel numbering for the soundracks of the  composer and what bankselection ?

I am afraid i am lost with this .. 
Its a exercise setup for the next generation sx700/900 who have then a USB to computer connection like the sx600 now has
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 01:48:39 PM by janamdo »

janamdo

Re: Using psr sx 600/700/900 as a soundmodule
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 04:03:05 PM »
  • Could load a midi from a recorded style on the SX600 into composer
( this thread here
OR
  • Record a performance ( style + melody) in Cubase ) ( see another question on forum)
Maybe it is better to first to try to record a style + melody in Cubase, because this the easiest way

Jan