Author Topic: Backup question  (Read 2667 times)

Backup question
« on: January 27, 2021, 03:20:04 PM »
Hi team,

I do regular backups of my Genos. I include the following:
  • BUP file of whole keyboard
  • Custom Style backups
  • Registration backups
Am I missing anything? I have no audio, MIDI, Playlists, or custom voices on my Genos. Thanks :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ckobu

Re: Backup question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 03:31:53 PM »
Hi Lee,

Partial Backup is good but you still miss User Voices, Multipad, Text and Scale (if you use them). There are three more files that will store MIDI, Effect (VH2) and System settings.
However, you have it all anyway as a BUP file that stores everything together what I listed above.
Watch the video - English subtitles.
https://youtu.be/W0GhgoXf3gk
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 03:33:22 PM by ckobu »
Watch my video channel

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 03:56:39 PM »
Thanks, ckpbu. I watched that video. It's excellent.

I don't have any User Voices, Multipad, Text, or Scale files so I think I'm good.

"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Genos!

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 07:49:32 PM »
Perhaps I misunderstood, but if you do direct access using USB Storage Mode and copy all of those files to PC, doesn't that constitute a complete 100% backup that can be restored by copying the backup back to the Genos in Direct Storage Mode whenever you choose?

Doesn't this constitute a Full Backup and a subsequent Full Restore?

Note: To enter USB Storage Mode, turn the Genos’s power on while holding the [PLAYLIST] button.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 08:12:28 PM by Genos! »

Offline ckobu

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 07:58:58 PM »
@Genos! - You are right. The same thing as Partial Backup can be done via USB Storage mode. This is only enabled on the Genos, but not on the SX600 / 700/900.

https://youtu.be/tyD_uIcYmCY
Watch my video channel

Genos!

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 08:09:09 PM »
Yes, Lee and I are both on the Genos.  Other than firmware, I look at this as a full software backup.

Why are you considering it to be a partial backup? Isn't this a full backup of everything on the Genos?

I would suppose that the only way it is a partial backup is if you don't also backup what is on your sticks.

But, it would still be a Full Backup of everything on the Genos, no?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 08:13:15 PM by Genos! »

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 08:31:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Now I'm confused (doesn't take much these days ::)!)

I understand that if I backup to a USB drive through the Utility > Backup menu, my USB drive has a BUP file. I copy that to my computer for safe storage. Do I not have a complete backup of absolutely everything as my Genos stands at the moment?

I like to copy my Reg and Custom Styles to the same USB stick > my computer, just so I can access those things directly for easy restore if needed.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 09:38:57 PM »
Why are you considering it to be a partial backup? Isn't this a full backup of everything on the Genos?
True, if there are all segments, then it is a complete backup. Maybe the name “partial” isn’t good, maybe “fragmentary” would be more appropriate.
Either way, this is a great way to create those parts of the keyboard that are subject to more frequent changes. As is the case with Lee and registrations.

I understand that if I backup to a USB drive through the Utility > Backup menu, my USB drive has a BUP file. I copy that to my computer for safe storage. Do I not have a complete backup of absolutely everything as my Genos stands at the moment?
That's right, everything in the keyboard is in the BUP file.

I combine these two methods and each has advantages. More often I make partial copies of only those parts that I change every day, but at least once a month I make a BUP.

I would just add that what we are talking about does not include a copy of the content contained in the Expansion Memory. This backup is done by a different method and uses the data we have on the computer.
Watch my video channel

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 12:44:02 AM »
Got it now. Thanks!

Genos!

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 01:16:42 AM »
Yes, thank you... quite the education. Whodathunkit.

It only hurts the worst when you think you've been doing it all right,
and then you have to put it into practice during a crash/restore.

So, the best way to backup expansion memory is to backup a user
directory also that's on the computer, since this user directory was
used to load the expansion memory via yem?

Offline ckobu

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 07:55:55 AM »
True, the best way to back up all installed packages is to store everything from a folder
"C: \ Users \ <username> \ AppData \ Local \ Yamaha \ Expansion Manager"

I also do a "partial" backup of each package and I have copies of all individual ppf and cpf.
Watch my video channel

Genos!

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 04:09:15 PM »
Thank you, ckobu; and thank you for asking, Lee Batchelor.
I now feel good about completely backing up my Genos.

I will set aside a drive partition; not huge, perhaps 50GB.
I will dump everything to this drive partition on my PC.

I will take a monthly complete backup, and I will take
differential backups otherwise daily, weekly, etc.

I believe these backups can be scheduled to run automatically.

I think that this has been a wonderful discussion.

Also partial backups are nice so as to not need a full restore.
Thank you, all. It has been quite the education.  :)

Note to self: Don't forget to backup any and all usb sticks
that contain any user files, etc.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 04:17:00 PM by Genos! »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 04:46:47 PM »
I have a 64Gb USB under my Genos in that compartment. Everything I store on my User section is also saved to this USB. All I have to do in remove this USB every few weeks or as I add new contents to it and Back up on my computer. I then have two backups .One on USB and one on computer. This also contains all my Audio recordings.

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 12:29:36 AM »
Great discussion, folks. Sorry for the late reply. I keep forgetting that the "geniuses" at Microsoft have somehow figured out a way for me to no longer receive email messages about replies.