Author Topic: Matt finish shiny in places on surface  (Read 2297 times)

joner77778899

Matt finish shiny in places on surface
« on: January 26, 2021, 12:19:03 PM »
How can I restore the matt black finish on the surface.
In places near popular buttons it has a smooth finish.
Just looks a bit worn now in areas.
Never noticed it on a silver T5

Offline EileenL

Re: Matt finish shiny in places on surface
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 12:36:15 PM »
This can sometimes be a build up of grease from your fingers. I always clean mine after a long session although I have a very dry skin.

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

Offline Colin D

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 03:38:52 PM »
This can sometimes be a build up of grease from your fingers. I always clean mine after a long session although I have a very dry skin.

Eileen,

May I ask what you clean with please,

Kind regards

Colin
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Online overover

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 04:25:19 PM »
I just use a very soft, fine microfiber cloth (and a few drops of water if necessary) to clean my Genos and Tyros5 (for the panel and display). That's all. :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 04:48:18 PM »
I've used MusicNomad products in the past to clean various instruments. They make a specialty cleaner for electronic keyboards, and I have used it once on an older Technics keyboard with nice results. I have NOT used it on a newer Genos or my SX-900. As has been stated, I use a microfiber cloth only. I'm Not aware of any product that will restore a worn off finish.

Not An Endorsement, just an alternative that seems safe, but use your own good sense  :)

YouTube Video Video for MusicNomad Key One: https://youtu.be/1AhVZVXlfpQ
Also available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/MN131-Purpose-Cleaner-Keyboards-Pianos/dp/B00LWGGMFI

Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 05:14:40 PM »
hi

Specsaver lense cleaner alcahol based does a mighty fine job with a soft camera or spectacle cloth. Record cleaner also ok. same stuff really.
Works 100% for me :)

Another tip if you have a leather suite --Get pen marks off with a touch of hairspray!! and a little rub.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 05:16:04 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

The following users thanked this post: LaHawk

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 06:40:38 PM »
This is a known problem. I have tried what the friends suggested, but the shiny apots do not go away.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline SciNote

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 10:01:52 PM »
It depends on what exactly is causing those shiny spots.  If it is just a build-up of oils/grease from the skin of the finger tips, then it should be able to be carefully cleaned off.  But if it is a result of the fingertips slowly buffing the factory finish of the plastic as the knobs are used and the fingertips repeatedly brush against the plastic over time, then that is permanent.  I guess it could be theoretically possible to carefully and precisely sand a rough finish back into those patches of smooth plastic, while avoiding damaging the nearby plastic, but then the same problem would likely happen again in the future as you continue to use those knobs.  And good luck sanding in a new rough finish the matches the original finish and the nearby unaffected plastic!
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 10:55:03 PM »
I just use warm water on a soft cloth and dry with micro fibre cloth. Works for me. and I do a lot of button pushing.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 11:28:14 PM »
Yes, I believe that the finish has become shiny because I touch the surface while pressing the buttons, almost impossible to avoid not doing that. I see it around the inc and dec button and around the data wheel. I use these buttons a lot when auditioning styles. The shiny spots can not be felt, it must be ssen from a certain angle. Well, I can live with it, the Genos is a tool I use every day, so some wear and tear have to be exspected :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page