Author Topic: USB mini led lamp.  (Read 2016 times)

USB mini led lamp.
« on: January 25, 2021, 07:08:23 PM »
Hi all, I don't know if it's possible to connect one of these mini led USB lamps to the Usb socket of the psr sx900? Has anyone had the chance to do it? I see it could be very practical and useful when having very poor illumination in some live circunstances. Appreciate your thoughts.

Regards

Bernardo.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 07:23:17 PM by bhergar56 »
👍🏻 Don't worry be happy!

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: USB mini led lamp.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 07:45:04 PM »
It can be done. But get a power bank.
The USB Port on the keyboard has a limited mAh rating.
Led lights could be demanding at times.
So use a power bank to power up a usb led light
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

The following users thanked this post: bhergar56

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 09:06:49 AM »
Hi Bernardo
I use this lamp, and it's great, 5 Watts, three types of lighting (cold, warm, natural and 10 levels of intensity). USB connection and fixing clip ... I connected it directly to the transformer (5 volts) of any smartphone.
I also tested directly on the SX900 and it works. As said by Norman, however, it is better to use a Power Bank that guarantees you hours and hours of autonomy without stressing the SX900's USB.
Pietro

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07SR31VTC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 10:47:26 AM by Aquilauno »

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 09:28:21 AM »
According to the USB specification, a USB 2.0 port can deliver a current of maximum 0.5 A.

Accordingly, you should only connect devices with a maximum power consumption of 2.5 W. (5 V * 0.5 A = 2.5 W).

The connection of this lamp, which consumes 5 W, could overload or possibly damage the USB port of the keyboard during prolonged operation.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 09:32:52 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Aquilauno, bhergar56

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 02:03:11 PM »
Thanks Aquilauno and Chris, very useful and well oriented your opinions and advise. Yes, I have a little led lamp that I used on my PC,  it has a usb connection, I tested this unit on the keyboard and it seems works fine, BUT as said by Chirs and Aquilauno is better  not to stress and overload the keyboard usb plugs, the damage of one of these usb plugs could be a very painful  situation a led lamp with its own power supply, rechargeable etc. I think is the best choice and also very useful in dark situations. Thanks.

Best regards

Bernardo
👍🏻 Don't worry be happy!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 02:57:11 PM »
Just buy a power brick for your lamp, or you can use the one for your phone.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 03:15:39 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 03:12:04 PM »
Thanks Aquilauno and Chris, very useful and well oriented your opinions and advise. Yes, I have a little led lamp that I used on my PC,  it has a usb connection, I tested this unit on the keyboard and it seems works fine, BUT as said by Chirs and Aquilauno is better  not to stress and overload the keyboard usb plugs, the damage of one of these usb plugs could be a very painful  situation a led lamp with its own power supply, rechargeable etc. I think is the best choice and also very useful in dark situations. ...

Hi Bernardo,

thanks for your feedback!

To be on the safe side, it couldn't hurt if you take a look at the specifications of this mini LED lamp.

For operation on a USB 2.0 port, as with the SX900, the electrical current consumption of a connected device must not exceed the values I have already mentioned, i.e. a maximum of 0.5 A (= 500 mA) at 5 V (volts), and this corresponds to a maximum of 2.5 W (watts).

By the way: These days, many computers have USB 3.0/3.1 ports (which can deliver up to 0.9 A or 4.5 W). But unfortunately our keyboards only have USB 2.0 ...

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 03:13:21 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 04:15:18 PM »
Thanks all, good idea Toril buying those block batteries..although I think that the led lamps are very economical, probably they cost less than the batteries it self. But is also a good alternative. I will try to find the usb led lamp specifications to see if it’s possible to connect it to the keyboard, umm I don’t think I have those details now, I only know that the lamp has 4 mini leds, but don’t know their consumption... :-[ I’ll investigate and see, if not, buying a rechargeable led lamp is very economical, you can find prices starting from us $10.

Thanks Chris.
👍🏻 Don't worry be happy!

Offline Bill

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 08:14:05 PM »
Thanks all, good idea Toril buying those block batteries..although I think that the led lamps are very economical, probably they cost less than the batteries it self. But is also a good alternative. I will try to find the usb led lamp specifications to see if it’s possible to connect it to the keyboard, umm I don’t think I have those details now, I only know that the lamp has 4 mini leds, but don’t know their consumption... :-[ I’ll investigate and see, if not, buying a rechargeable led lamp is very economical, you can find prices starting from us $10.

Thanks Chris.

Toril is talking about a cheap 5Volt power supply (charger) not a rechargeable battery.
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 09:03:35 PM »
Yes, should have clarified that😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 12:56:47 AM »
Thanks all, now we have a lot of alternatives for all choices, shapes,  colors, and budget.  ummm! Thanks Bill for clarifying. Both alternatives are good.
👍🏻 Don't worry be happy!