Author Topic: Style Channel Not Outputing Any Sound and Assembly target Channel Disabled  (Read 3256 times)

Offline MusicMan

After using Assembly to replace a channel, the target channel could not be turned on in the Assembly page.
I saved the style. No sound was coming from that channel that I replaced in Assembly even after I turned the channel on in the Mixer.
To try to troubleshoot the problem, I opened the style In Style Creator. I set the Record channel to the target channel that I just replaced with Assembly and went into step record and I could see that there was indeed midi note data in that channel.
I played the channel in step record and I could hear the channel playing.
Then I exited Step Record and the channel played correctly. It seems as though the act of playing the channel in step record fixed the problems.

So in a nutshell, there seemed to be two anomalies after using Assembly.

1.   After replacing a channel with Assembly, the channel could not be turned on in the Assembly page.
2.   The target channel that I replaced with Assembly would not output sound even when I turned it on in the mixer.
Both problems seemed to be fixed by playing the channel in Style Creator > Step Record page.

Does anyone know why these anomalies occurred?

Thank You

Update
I didn't mention another variable which was that I edited the Style in XG Works.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 12:20:30 AM by MusicMan »

Offline EileenL

No idea as I have never had a problem doing this.

The following users thanked this post: MusicMan

Offline Dromeus

Update
I didn't mention another variable which was that I edited the Style in XG Works.

Now this is a game changer. If you've fiddled about with the style outside of the keyboard you're definitly on your own. It's very easy with an external MIDI editor to violate the style structure with unforeseen consequences.
Regards, Michael

Online ckobu

If you are interested in where the problem is and what went wrong in XGWorks, you can send me a rhythm in which the added channel is not heard.
Watch my video channel

Offline MusicMan

Hi ckobu

Thanks for responding.

Here is what I did that caused the problem.
In a nutshell, I imported a multipad channel into a style channel using XGWorks via MixMaster.
The i used Assembly to import that channel into another style.

Here are the exact steps I performed:
I opened a style in MixMaster. Then I used the "Go To" menu in MixMaster to open XG Works to edit the Style.
In XG Works I went to the Menu > Plugin > Importer and I imported a channel from a Multipad into the Style.
I saved in XG Works. Then I closed XG Works.
Then I saved the Style from MixMaster.

The Multipad channel that I imported into the Style, played perfectly in the Style.

But when I used Assembly to import that Style channel that came from the multipad into another style, the channel made no sound in the style in imported it into.

As I said above, the workaround that I used to fix the problem of the channel not sounding, works consistently.
That workaround that I used is to play the channel in Style Creator > Step Record page. Then resave the Style from Style Creator.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:06:47 PM by MusicMan »

Online ckobu

I’m familiar with the method of inserting Multipad into Style, that’s what I showed in this video.
https://youtu.be/3MFKl9eIYGY

I wouldn’t know why that channel doesn’t play when added using Assembly. If I had Style I could see what the problem was.
Watch my video channel

Offline MusicMan

I don't know if I can duplicate the problem. I'll try.

Thank You

Offline MusicMan

I don't know if I can duplicate the problem. I'll try.

Thank You

Here is the style that has midi data in Variation D, Channel Phrase 2, but no sound is coming out. The channel was imported using Assembly.
My earlier solution to play the channel in Style Creator > Step record did not work this time.
Then I tried opening the Style in XG Works, made sure no mute or solo buttons were engaged, and resaved it. That fixed it this time.

I attached the style as a .xls file. Just change the extension to .sty

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online ckobu

I finally caught the time and looked at the troubled Style.
There is no CASM data in it at all and that is why there is a problem with Phrase2.
Namely, Yamaha Style can play without problems and without CASM data, but some rules must be met. They were filled in Basic Style (before XGWorks manipulation) but this was not carried over to the added Phrase2.
After that, Style was processed in Style Creator and the keyboard automatically (in the background) added the necessary CASM data. That’s why Phrase2 plays after processing in Style Creator.
I hope everything is a little clearer now.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel

Offline MusicMan

I finally caught the time and looked at the troubled Style.
There is no CASM data in it at all and that is why there is a problem with Phrase2.
Namely, Yamaha Style can play without problems and without CASM data, but some rules must be met. They were filled in Basic Style (before XGWorks manipulation) but this was not carried over to the added Phrase2.
After that, Style was processed in Style Creator and the keyboard automatically (in the background) added the necessary CASM data. That’s why Phrase2 plays after processing in Style Creator.
I hope everything is a little clearer now.

Thank you

Your knowledge of Yamaha Genos etc is amazing. Do you work for Yamaha?

Online ckobu

Re: Style Channel Not Outputing Any Sound and Assembly target Channel Disabled
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 02:45:06 PM »
Thank you for the compliment.
I am a freelancer and not hired by Yamaha.
Unfortunately.
Watch my video channel