Author Topic: new PSR-E373  (Read 3778 times)

Offline flailman

new PSR-E373
« on: January 23, 2021, 04:52:17 PM »
Just got an E373 and planning on connecting to computer running BandLab.  I have a choice of a Windows 8 machine with a large monitor or a Windows 10 machine that is much smaller display but would fit on music stand when in tablet mode.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I also have an old PSS-480 that still works. Wondering if it does anything the E373 does NOT.
DGX 670, PSR-E373 and PSS-480

Offline overover

Re: new PSR-E373
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 05:30:51 PM »
Hi flailman,

welcome to the PSR Tutorial forum!

Windows 8 is already dead. General support for Windows 8.1 ended on January 9, 2018. Extended support ends on January 10, 2023.

I do NOT recommend currently working with Windows 8.1, but exclusively with Windows 10. However, there is still the option of upgrading a Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 10 for free (with the help of Microsoft's "Media Creation Tool").

Best regards.
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 05:32:50 PM »
Go with Win 10. I'm not sure if you want a Tablet pc. Or a PC with Win 10.

Just go with Win10..
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline flailman

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 04:43:46 PM »
Thanks for reply. If Windows 8 is dead, you would freak out at some of the other stuff in this room.  Lets just say the Smithsonian wants to be mentioned in my will.  Re-purposing old phones as security cameras and old computers as storage is just a few. That is why old PSS-480 is sitting right next to new E373.  Has to be of some use, right?

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 06:09:29 PM »
flailman. AGREED...Very well stated.
DGX670

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 06:38:17 PM »
Hi flailman,

when I say (or someone else says) "Windows 8 is dead", what we mean by that is, the support has completely ended. So it is better to use Windows 10 because, as mentioned earlier, general support for Windows 8.1 has also already ended and extended support (for security patches) according to current information ends in 2023. (If you should buy a computer with Windows 8, you should at least update it to Windows 8.1, if it is connected to the Internet.)

If a computer is NOT connected to the Internet, you can of course (with compatible programs) work with it indefinitely. :)

But almost all programs are updated regularly. To ensure the best possible compatibility, I therefore recommend using a Win 10 computer.

(I occasionally also use computers with Win 8.1, Win 7 or even XP. For example, I still use Win 7 and Win XP ;) Netbooks for my live performances. But all of these computers are NOT connected to the Internet.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 06:49:41 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline flailman

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 08:52:55 PM »
Good point made regarding being connected to the internet.  Scary place!  One of my hopes for the new E373 is to spend less time there and more at the keyboard.  Maybe I can avoid being "cancelled" if I only use it for these forums.

Offline SciNote

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 12:56:06 AM »
That PSS-480 could, indeed, have a use that goes beyond what the PSR-E373 does.  It actually has a mini 2-operator FM synthesizer in it, and you can actually modify some of the parameters to create your own tones.  Of course, it won't have all of the parameters of a dedicated FM synth, like a newer reface-DX or an older DX-7 or DX-9, but you can probably get some spacy tones out of it.  It could very well make a good auxiliary keyboard to use along with your E373, such as having it mounted above the E373, so that while you're playing a song, if you want to quickly jump to a synth-lead sound or something similar, you could jump to the PSS-480 without having to push a bunch of buttons on your E373.  This is especially a possibility since FM synthesis seems to be making a comeback.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 12:58:04 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline flailman

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 04:21:19 PM »
Thanks! I never got into the synth aspect of the PSS-480 because I couldn't get past the small keys in order to actually play anything.  I did like I could turn off the "orchestra" in the auto accompaniment as sometimes this plays stuff that is not needed or just junks up the arrangement when used from beginning to end and I have not found a way to do the same with the PSR-E373 even though I find the accompaniments are more tasteful than the older stuff.    I did read the synth on the older unit had some neat features, so it is now plugged in and sitting waiting for me to quit playing with all the cool stuff on the E373.  Might take a while!

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 05:39:43 PM »
That PSS-480 could, indeed, have a use that goes beyond what the PSR-E373 does.  It actually has a mini 2-operator FM synthesizer in it, and you can actually modify some of the parameters to create your own tones. 

Ah, the PSS-480 : Must be 32 years ago now, my first Yamaha and, as you say, my first 'synth'. I spent hours tweaking those operator settings to make Jean Michel Jarre - style tones! Happy days :)

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 06:06:47 PM »
Thanks! I never got into the synth aspect of the PSS-480 because I couldn't get past the small keys in order to actually play anything.  I did like I could turn off the "orchestra" in the auto accompaniment as sometimes this plays stuff that is not needed or just junks up the arrangement when used from beginning to end and I have not found a way to do the same with the PSR-E373 even though I find the accompaniments are more tasteful than the older stuff.    I did read the synth on the older unit had some neat features, so it is now plugged in and sitting waiting for me to quit playing with all the cool stuff on the E373.  Might take a while!
Hi Flaiman,

In a few months time, the PSR E473 could be what you’re looking for. The PSR E4xx usually has all the same features as its PSR E3xx predecessor and then some.

What this means is that when the E473 will hit the market, it’ll have all the features you like in the E373, but it’ll also have buttons that will enable you to activate/deactivate individual tracks in the styles. The PSR E433 already had this feature and this makes the styles so much more flexible.

And of course, the E473 will have the two “live knobs” to tweak some parameters live, so you’ll be able to use it more like a synth (it’ll also have tweakable attack and decay for the sounds, you’ll be able to adjust the pan of the various sounds etc.)

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.