Author Topic: Yamaha MFC10 Midi Controller  (Read 3436 times)

henrycar

Yamaha MFC10 Midi Controller
« on: January 20, 2021, 07:06:26 PM »
If there is any one interested in the Yamaha MFC10 MIDI Foot Controller, there are 3 left in stock on Amazon.com USA. Price $229.00 plus tax.
I bought one and think I was lucky. It is brand new & Factory sealed.

henrycar

Offline Rick D.

Re: Yamaha MFC10 Midi Controller
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 09:40:48 PM »
Hi Henrycar.

It's a shame they discontinued the MFC10, it's a great controller. I have been using one for years.
If you need the book let me know. I am almost tempted to buy one for a spare, I would be lost without it.

Rick D.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:26:07 AM by Rick D. »

henrycar

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 11:23:24 PM »
You are right Rick, great controller. I'm getting use to it.
What book are talking about Rick??

henrycar

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 11:31:56 PM »
Henrycar,

Here is a link to the book: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yoj07k1r6erf7d1/mfc10e.pdf?dl=0

Here is a link to the installation video, that may help too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XWWr6SdyjA
It is for Tyros 4 but it is similar up until the point of assigning each button.

Here is a post that may help with the programming: https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41328.msg325304.html#msg325304

Rick D.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 11:36:29 PM by Rick D. »

henrycar

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 02:17:22 AM »
Hi Rick, the book you are talking about is the Manual that comes with the MFC10 Controller.
The Post that you mention does not exist any more, it was erased, very old I think.

Thanks for your help Rick

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 03:32:35 AM »
Henrycar,

I never got the manual with mine as I bought it used, so I wasn’t sure if you had one or not.

Not sure why the link didn’t work, I searched for it last night, and it worked fine, but you are right it no longer works for me either tonight. It really isn’t that old, as someone else was having troubles not that long ago.

After some time you will be able to hit all the buttons without even looking. It becomes second nature.

I read somewhere that Yamaha has a new pedal board, but it may be for guitarists not keyboardists.

Rick D.

henrycar

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 05:05:15 PM »
Thanks for your help Rick
 henrycar

henrycar

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 07:31:21 PM »
Rick, we suppose to use only one Midi Wire for setting up the MFC10 from the Keyboard (IN & OUT) and then change it in the reverse way (OUT & IN).
Do you know if we can use two Midi Wires so we don't have to keep doing the switching every time we make a different setup?.
The Manual does say to use only one wire but what a pain, we have to keep doing the switching.

henrycar

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 09:22:06 PM »
Hi henrycar,

The manual is correct, one cable then reverse it, as stated in the manual.
It’s been a couple of years since I set mine up on the Genos, but I have never needed to change the setup, that I have used for at least six years now on the Tyros’s.  I do know on the Tyros, all changes you wanted to make after initial setup were done thru the Tyros without switching cables, but they took the  MFC10 interface the Tyros had off of the Genos. They only way to find out is to try it I suppose.

Rick D.

henrycar

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 05:02:21 PM »
Rick, I was trying the Expression & Volume settings, but they sound the same to me. It's that possible?

What will be your best setting for this two, or which one do you think it's better to have?

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 08:53:36 PM »
Hi Henry,

Here is a link to explain the differences. https://musicianintro.com/expression-pedal-vs-volume-pedal/
Actually have mine disabled as I have a separate volume/expression pedal. I found the angle of the one on the MFC-10 awkward for me.
I attached a couple of pictures of my setup. Notice the wedge placed under the MFC-10. This makes it a little easier to get at the top row of buttons.

Rick D.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 10:43:43 PM »
Rick D, WOW. How many feet do you have? :) Nice setup!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 11:26:23 PM »
Thanks, Toril,

I find it easier to make changes with my feet rather than my hands.
It's really not all that complicated.
The pedalboards 10 buttons control: #1- Art 1.Rt.1, #2-Art 2. Rt1, #3-Art. 3 Rt.1, #4-Fill Self, #5-Fill Break, #6-Multi Pad 1, #7-Fade, #8-Score+, #9- Score -, #10- Rhythm Stop/Start.
The pedal to the right is a sustain pedal that I use for piano and also program it in different registrations for modulation. To the right next is the Expression/Volume pedal I prefer over the one on the pedalboard which has been disabled. The one to the left in front of the pedalboard is an AirTurn Pedal to flip the pages back and forth in Songbook. the one to the right of that, in front of the Pedalboard, is to control the Registration Sequences. I have been using this set up for years and can usually hit the pedals I want without looking. It works quite well for me.
Maybe I miss the full bass pedals I had on organs as a kid, and my feet needed something to do. LOL

Rick D.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 11:42:28 PM »
Amazing!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

henrycar