Author Topic: Genos assign buttons  (Read 2119 times)

Offline OmbDave

Genos assign buttons
« on: January 19, 2021, 03:08:04 PM »
Hi everyone, I hope you are all safe and well in these troubled times.
I have a problem with a new midi file I have created. I have my mic settings saved as part of the midi which include VH and reverb, however the first 12 bars of the song require not reverb but a distant delay (Echo) before switching back to my standard reverb for the main vocal to start. I would like to program an Assignable button to switch the delay On and Off but I cannot work out how to do it so I’m wondering if someone knows how to do this.
Basically I need to be able to turn on Delay and then turn it off again after a few bars
Thank you in anticipation
Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
Pearl Drums, Paiste & Avedis Zildjian Cymbals
HK Audio Polar10

Offline Dromeus

Re: Genos assign buttons
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 07:42:13 AM »
Hi Dave

Assignable buttons are not designed for this task. Basically you have two options:

- use a registration to switch the mic effect
- add MIDI events to the file to switch the effect at the end of bar 12

As you asked for a button for switching, here's the idea how to use a registration. I assume the mic setup uses the system reverb and the mic insertion effect is set as a delay effect. Upon loading the MIDI file, the mix for the mic should be set to Reverb=0 and Insertion Effect Delay = [some value as needed]. Then you can swap the values, Reverb = [some value as needed],  Insertion Effect Delay = 0 and store this in a registration, tick group Vocal Harmony/Mic Setting.

HTH
Michael

Edit: "mix for the mix" was obviously nonsense, corrected to "mix for the mic"  ;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:02:46 AM by Dromeus »
Regards, Michael

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 08:11:29 AM »
Thank you for a great answer Michael. It will be my first creation of a registration so wish me luck LOL. You never know it may be the start of a whole new chapter for me.
Once again thanks for your help
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10

Offline ckobu

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 08:26:17 AM »
Hi Dave
There is a slightly more complex way to insert Sysex files for what you need. You will use MixMaster for this.
First record the Sysex string that triggers the desired VH parameters. Then copy that same string to the place in the song where you need it.
Again using MixMaster.

https://youtu.be/EmR7WAjjKVI

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 02:20:22 PM »
Thank you Ckobu but I don’t know anything about Mixmaster, I guess it’s some sort of App?
For now I will try Micheal’s solution then perhaps investigate Mixmaster in the future
Cheers
Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10

Offline ckobu

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 02:44:22 PM »
The solution offered by Dave is good, try it first and see if it suits you.
MixMaster is a free computer program with which you can do a great job on MIDI, Style or Multipad.

https://youtu.be/T-uCLPvPwkw

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 12:48:14 PM »
Thank you Ckobu I plan to look at Mixmaster later today. I am not well versed in DAW’s etc and do all my mixing, quantising, transposing and settings etc on the Genos itself.
Cheers
Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10