Author Topic: Is there a way to save all the CVP 509 styles on a USB drive before I sell it?  (Read 4447 times)

Offline brian1uk

I am going to be selling my old CVP 509 and purchasing the new CVP 809.
But before I do I really like many of the styles on my 509.
I understand that the styles on the new Clavinovas are not just the old styles carried over with a few new ones added so I would like to "archive" the standard styles on my 509 before I let it go. Does anyone know of a simple way to do this? thanks.

Offline Fred Smith

I am going to be selling my old CVP 509 and purchasing the new CVP 809.
But before I do I really like many of the styles on my 509.
I understand that the styles on the new Clavinovas are not just the old styles carried over with a few new ones added so I would like to "archive" the standard styles on my 509 before I let it go. Does anyone know of a simple way to do this? thanks.

You just copy them.

Go to your styles folders, and copy each folder to your USB drive.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline overover

Hi Brian,

you can copy all Preset Styles at once to the USB drive:

- Press one of the Style category buttons, e.g. "Pop&Rock".

- Press the upper [8] button (= "UP"). Now you should see the Preset Style category folders.

- Press COPY > ALL > OK.

- Open the "USB1" tab (use the TAB buttons).

- If desired, create a new folder here. (Press FOLDER and give it a name like "sty CVP-509".) Then select the new folder to open it.

- Press PASTE. This will copy all Preset Style folders including all Styles to the current location on the USB drive. (Be patient, because the copying process will need some time.)

Thats it! :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline brian1uk

Thanks Chris and Fred. I will try your instructions.
But do you know if I will actually be able to use those old (CVP509) styles on the new CVP809?
thank you again.
Brian

Offline mikf

Most likely you can, but I have a 705 so I cant confirm. Maybe someone who has an 8 series CVP can confirm.
Or put a few on a USB, and take it in to a dealer who has a CVP 8 series and try it.
Mike

Offline overover

Thanks Chris and Fred. I will try your instructions.
But do you know if I will actually be able to use those old (CVP509) styles on the new CVP809?
thank you again.
Brian

Hi Brian,

all CVP-509 Styles should play well on the CVP-809. Usually, a newer model in the same range also has all the voices and effects of the previous models.

Usually these older Voices are then in the Legacy Voice folder. But they still have their previous Voice adresses (MSB-LSB-PRG), so that previous Styles can find the correct Voices. If a certain Voice should not exist, usually the keyboard automatically replaces this Voice with another suitable one.

By the Way: The 809 has much more Voices than the 509: :)
CVP-509:    811 Voices + 26 Drum/SFX Kits + 480 XG Voices
CVP-809: 1,605 Voices + 58 Drum/SFX Kits + 480 XG Voices

Both models use the same Style File Format "SFF GE" (also known as "SFF2"). And both models can also play the previous format "SFF" (also known as SFF1).

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 06:26:43 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline mikf

Even in those cases where the exact voice used in a style exists, the arranger picks an alternative that us normally perfectly fine.
Mike

Offline brian1uk

Thank you everyone for your help. I will be placing my order for a brand new 809 this week.  :)

Offline Toril S

Lucky you! The 809 did not make it to Norway😀 I have the Genos, and I have the 809 styles on it now. They are great.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline brian1uk

Chris thanks for the detailed information. Do you know roughly how much (minimum) storage I will need on a USB drive to save ALL of the styles on it? (I heard that the piano will not accept some drives that are very high capacity in memory) Thanks
Brian

Offline overover

Chris thanks for the detailed information. Do you know roughly how much (minimum) storage I will need on a USB drive to save ALL of the styles on it? (I heard that the piano will not accept some drives that are very high capacity in memory) Thanks
Brian

Hi Brian,

Style files are relativley small (about 50 - 100 KB each). All CVP-509 Styles together are only about 23 MB (Megabytes). So you can also use a very small USB stick ... :)

Best regards,
Chris