Author Topic: Hello also from Markham Ontario Canada  (Read 2516 times)

Offline YvonP

Hello also from Markham Ontario Canada
« on: January 18, 2021, 05:07:40 PM »
 Hi everyone,

My name is Yvon, I’m in my sixties, a retired electronics technician, and I play music just for fun, but seriously!

Like many on this forum, I started playing music as a child; my non-musician parents bought a piano when I was 7, and I started piano lessons, but that didn’t last long: I wanted to play music I knew, not those boring obsolete kind of Classic pieces!

But that piano had a very special feature: it was a player piano ( with paper rolls, the ancestors of MIDI files )! That became my piano teacher; I played along with those wonderful performances: we had over a 100 of those rolls. What a treasure this was!

At 11, I was more serious about learning music theory, so I got into accordion lessons for a while, with Palmer-Hughes books, but I preferred playing by ear, so I built a growing repertoire I enjoyed to play. My parents were very happy.

A neighbour had something very interesting: a Farfisa organ! My father gave me a challenge: if I learned 100 melodies, he would get me one :)
Before long, I told him I was up to 150!  ;D That was my first « arranger keyboard ». Really enjoyed it many years, eventually connected to a Leslie 147!

Years after, I wanted a keyboard, got a Lowrey, cute but limited. Bought a Yamaha PS-6100: what a step forward! But it was defective, and I wanted better sounds and styles, so I bought a Roland E-70, their top of the line arranger then, and years later, a FP-80 and a BK-9, and finally, I’m back to Yamaha with the Genos, my only keyboard now, since may 2020. What a wonderful instrument it is!

I was a guest on this forum until two weeks ago; really impressed by its ambiance and resources, and wanted to share anything useful I have with its members, so I happily joined. So, hello everyone!

Yvon

« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 05:10:40 PM by YvonP »

Offline Toril S

Re: Hello also from Markham Ontario Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 05:18:12 PM »
Hello Yvon😀 Welcome as a member! Look forward to hearing more from you!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: YvonP

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 06:47:30 PM »
Hi Yvon - Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy the Forum and your new Genos - a formidable combination.

Trevor (MINKYCATS) from UK.
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 06:57:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Yvon!

I wish you a lot of fun and joy with your Genos!

All the best from Germany,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 07:05:31 PM »
Welcome!!! :)
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Online RONBO

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 07:47:04 PM »
Welcome Evon,

You are going to love it here!

By now, you are probably aware that the fellow members of this forum are very hard to stump. Any question you have can and will be clearly and, most of the time, quickly.

We look forward to hearing from you soon, and perhaps you will provide us with some songs that you play on your new Genos.

Regards,

Ron.

PS. we are practically neighbours; Im I Belle River
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline Del B

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 09:24:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Yvon

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 11:26:51 PM »
Hi Yvon,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I’m sure you'll learn a lot about your Genos keyboard here on the forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  The following link will take you to the Home page of the website:

http://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend Peter (XeeniX), which presently contains 85,000 plus song titles in 2,528 indexed books.  This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:

http://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  Many of our members are always very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline dlepera

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 03:41:16 AM »
Hello Yvon and welcome.  I am your neighbor from Markham and with our provincial lockdown there is no better time than now to spend playing and making your own music.  You will find that this is a great forum with not only wonderful, talented, skillful, and knowledgeable members, but all willing to help each other when called required. You mentioned playing on a Farfisa, WOW, I remember playing In A Gadda Davida the year it was release.  As a teenager I had a good ear for music and the organ connected to a monster Leslie at the time was just mind blowing. I also enjoyed playing an electric accordion for the short time that I had interest in it and when I was able to use from a family friend.
   Instruments certainly did not have the same portability as they have today nor do we have to keep spare vacuum Tubes on hand, seems only USBs(LOL). But what a thrill back then.
  Poke around as Roger provided some good links and from there, the doors to endless discoveries and resources will unfold for you.
              Regards.                  dom 
Life is a learning experience and sharing it is it's biggest reward!