Author Topic: SX900 and FCB1010  (Read 3789 times)

Engevik

SX900 and FCB1010
« on: January 18, 2021, 10:45:23 AM »
Hi everybody

I am now the happy owner of a brand new SX900 and my wife have also given me a Behringer FCB1010 in christmas.

Now I need the MIDI numbers from SX900 to program the FCB1010. Can anybody help me with a link to where I can find the proper numbers?
All I need is the numbers for variations up/down and fill in.

I hope somebody here can help. Take care out there....

Joe Engevik
Denmark
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 02:57:31 PM by Engevik »

Offline overover

Re: SX900 and FCB1010
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 12:18:57 PM »
Hi Joe,

Tyros models and Genos have an additional tab "MFC10" or "External Controller" in their MIDI settings. Here you can configure a lot of functions to be controlled by simple MIDI Note On commands received from an external MIDI controller.

Unfortunately, Yamaha decided NOT to implement these important MIDI control options in PSR-S and also PSR-SX models.

With the SX900 you can use SysEx commands to switch the Style Sections (e.g. Main Variations). But here there is another problem in this case, because the Behringer FCB1010 cannot send SysEx commands by default.

A possible solution would be to modify the FCB1010 with a third-party firmware. To my knowledge, however, the firmware chip (EPROM) must be replaced.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Engevik

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 02:44:49 PM »
Hi Chris

Thx for the answer. It looks like I can't use the FCB1010 for this. I have an old Roland FC-7 I used for my Roland G70 years ago. Do you know if I can modify that for use with PSR? It has 7-pin MIDI cabel instead of 5. https://www.roland.com/dk/products/fc-7/

Best regards
Joe

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 03:58:02 PM »
Hi Chris

Thx for the answer. It looks like I can't use the FCB1010 for this. I have an old Roland FC-7 I used for my Roland G70 years ago. Do you know if I can modify that for use with PSR? It has 7-pin MIDI cabel instead of 5. https://www.roland.com/dk/products/fc-7/

Best regards
Joe

Hi Joe,

the Roland FC-7 is NOT a MIDI controller! The FC-7 has passive switches only (which close certain pins of the 7-pin DIN connector). Therefore, the FC-7 can only be used with Roland devices that are designed for it (and have a corresponding 7-pin input socket).

What you need is a MIDI foot controller that can send the SysEx needed (when its foot switches are depressed). With the Yamaha MFC10, for example, it is possible to send those "Section Control" SysEx. (See the attached picture.) But the MFC10 is out of production for some time ...

P.S.
At the moment I can't give you any other MIDI foot controllers that can also send SysEx. To do this, one would have to read the manuals of all the devices that could be priced carefully. (Most of these devices can only send Bank Select / Program Change events, and possibly MIDI Note On and / or MIDI Controller events.

Theoretically, you could also connect a MIDI processor device between the Behringer FCB1010 and the SX900 (e.g. Midisolutions Event Processor or Bome Box). But this is probably something for very experienced users or MIDI professionals ...

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 04:07:26 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline YvonP

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 04:07:05 PM »
Hi Joe,

I have a Genos since may 2020. Before, I had a Roland BK-9, and previously a BK-7m, and used both with a home-made FC-7, because it has been out of production for several years, in other words, unavailable. So I made one. I posted that information on the Roland Arranger Forum.

A Roland FC-7 ( nothing in common with the Yamaha FC7 volume pedal ) is a foot controller made of 7 normally open momentary contacts connected to a 8-pin DIN cable. No electronics in there at all. No MIDI. Only push buttons, a casing and a cable. You had to go in the menu of your G70 to assign a function to each button, or use the default values from Roland.

The most you can do with this foot controller on a Yamaha keyboard, is to connect two of the switches to a 1/4 inch cable for the sustain and control jacks on your SX-900, if it recognizes normally open foot controllers.

I hope it answers your questions.

Regards,

Yvon

( it seems that Chris was faster than me to reply! But I confirm he is right, as usual!  :)

Engevik

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 04:22:10 PM »
Hi again both.

As I understand I can't use the FCB1010 for the moment, without buying more stuff. So for the moment i'll live with the PSR and two "normal" pedals.
I still have the old Roland G70 so I'll keep the Roland FC-7 as it is.

Thanks a lot for the fast answers.

Best regards
Joe Engevik

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 04:55:18 PM »
Hi Joe,

here are a few links for you:
>>> https://www.fcb1010.eu/
>>> https://fcb1010.groups.io/g/uno
>>> http://www.tinybox.rocks/

Interesting for you are the "UnO" and "UnO2" firmware upgrades for the Behringer FCB1010 as well as the "TinyBox".

Note: I do not use any of these products myself. Before purchasing something of them one have to read all provided information about this third-party solution (also on YouTube) to ensure the needed SysEx sending function will really work.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 05:01:16 PM by overover »

Engevik

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 06:17:49 PM »
Hi agin Chris

That looks interesting, but I've been reading the manual and I'm not sure that programming is for my competencies. It looks difficult.
It's also quite a lot of money (227 EUR totally) more to spend here just after Christmas but I've hidden the links now and will look back on it later during the winter.

Thanks a lot for your very helpful answers. I'm new in here, but have already found a lot of good reading about PSR and Arranger keyboards generally.
I have gone from a S670 to SX900. It's a totally different and much better world.

Take care.

Best regards
Joe Engevik

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 06:47:42 PM »
Hi Joe,

the cheapest solution would be to buy only the "UnO" firmware EPROM (24 euros plus shipping). But, as said before, I cannot guarantee that this modification will definitely add the needed "Send SysEx" function to the FCB1010. To do this, you would have to research everything exactly on the Internet.

>>> https://www.fcb1010.eu/order_fw_new.php?item=uno

All the best from Germany,
Chris

Engevik

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 07:01:12 PM »
Hi Chris

I looked in that FCB1010_UnO Users Group. But as i wrote before, my skills with computers is very basic and I even dont know what SysEx is. Si I probably better keep away from these things. I thought the FCB1010 could be used (a friend told me) but I've realized that maybe it can, but it's over my skills.
So I'll sell it again and live with one or two pedals for the SX900 instead. I can also use my fingers, but sometimes it could be nice to do several things on the arranger at the same time.

Take care down there, you're just as hurt with the corona as we are up here north of you  :)

Best regards
Joe Engevik

Offline mcbrown

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 03:34:08 PM »
FCB1010 tutorial.

I know this is an old post but someone may get some benefit from the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYNND5nMWhc

Murray
Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8

Engevik

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 04:08:36 PM »
Thx Mr. McBrown, but I've sold the FCB1010 again.

Br Joe

Offline robert13

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2023, 09:55:33 PM »
Hello,

With the Behringer FCB1010 with Uno2 chip, you can sent sysex. https://www.fcb1010.eu/uno2.html

I have programmed mine with:
TRIGGER_CLICK SXFillAA = SendSysEx F0 43 7E 00 10 7F F7
TRIGGER_CLICK SXFillBB = SendSysEx F0 43 7E 00 11 7F F7
TRIGGER_CLICK SXFillCC = SendSysEx F0 43 7E 00 12 7F F7
TRIGGER_CLICK SXFillDD = SendSysEx F0 43 7E 00 13 7F F7
TRIGGER_CLICK SXBrkFill  = SendSysEx F0 43 7E 00 18 7F F7
TRIGGER_CLICK SXEnding1 = SendSysEx F0 43 7E 00 20 7F F7