Author Topic: Tyros 5 | Audio&Midi sync  (Read 2926 times)

studiostred

Tyros 5 | Audio&Midi sync
« on: January 16, 2021, 10:53:03 PM »
Hello everyone.
I am pretty sure, that Tyros4 had this ability
of sync & play a Midi file with such things like dry vocals etc.

I am not sure if effects could be added,
but it is not important for now.

Is there any tutorial, how to chain Audio wav or mp3 saved on the HDD of Tyros5
with a MIDI saved on the HDD? - perhaps with the registration, if that makes a sense.

Can we, Tyros 5 users, use multiple audio files? (Refrain voice+Other?)
Many questions.

This would be also a solution for adding "special" sounds
since the memory is not large enough, loading through YEM is, what it is...

This would be a great solution to save the song with all of that lovely garnish I want to add.

Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 10:25:54 AM by studiostred »

Offline AndyT

Re: Tyros 5 | Audio&Midi sync
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 12:09:19 PM »
Hi,

I have also tried playing along with vocal files and various other things. I have only managed to get 1 thing running at a time and if I wanted to add then I would have to mix on the PC or have an external mixer with multiple inputs (audio, midi etc). If you are going to mix externally, run the midi from the yamaha and audio from anywhere. Not sure I see the point though as I don't see what you are doing apart from changing the instruments??

Anyway, Some vocal only tracks have markers such as an intro drum beat etc. or a very quiet and frequently hollow sound background. If not, then you have to measure the time exactly and use the metronome for exact counts. It is very effective when you can pull it off as you then have a proper singer.

The problem that I have found is that you need multiple registrations to compensate for real-time drumming. That can be a pain as nobody sings in strict tempo, which is what you are locked down to. This will be your biggest problem. Midi files will also need to have several tempo changes that are in sync with the audio file. I tried this once only for fun and gave up after about 5 changes in a single Carpenters audio file. 

Effects can be done in audacity and other apps. Never tried to do anything on the Tyros.

There are hundreds of vocal files available, but I have no clue how to play backing tunes (i.e. not the actual melody) so I kind of gave up with that approach for now. Singers don't sing along with melody. I know that there are some backings when you have 3 staves in the music but there my knowledge ends. I have never played for singing.

I always thought that this would be amazing and it is relatively easy to extract vocals from any audio file -there are vids on YT for this. Never really quite achieved it and ran out of time.

- Andy

Online overover

Re: Tyros 5 | Audio&Midi sync
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 07:36:31 PM »
... I am pretty sure, that Tyros4 had this ability
of sync & play a Midi file with such things like dry vocals etc. ...

Is there any tutorial, how to chain Audio wav or mp3 saved on the HDD of Tyros5
with a MIDI saved on the HDD? - perhaps with the registration, if that makes a sense.

Can we, Tyros 5 users, use multiple audio files? (Refrain voice+Other?) ...

Hi studiostred,

first of all, there is NO SYNC between MIDI and Audio files that are played on the Tyros5 at the same time.

The easiest method, I think, is using "Audio Link Multi Pads". You can link up to 4 wave files per Audio Link Multi Pad bank file (.wav @44.1 kHz, 16bit, stereo).

You can load such an Audio Link Multi Pad bank (and a MIDI file) by a Registration, but you have to start the desired Multi Pad manually and exactly at the correct time. Note: On Tyros5, only ONE Audio Link Multi Pad can play at a time!

Another way is to use the T5's Audio Player. Here you can use either a wave file or an MP3 file. You can load both MIDI and Audio file by a Registration. Then you start the MIDI file, and a special SysEx in the MIDI file starts the Audio Player at the correct time. (Refer to page 98 of the Tyros5 Data List for the needed "HDR Control" SysEx string.)

You can only use ONE Audio file in the Audio Player at a time and, as already mentioned, ONE wave file started by an Audio Link Multi Pad can be played at a time.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me again here!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 07:56:54 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)