Author Topic: Wav file for backing track  (Read 3655 times)

Offline Duurduur

Wav file for backing track
« on: January 14, 2021, 05:04:38 PM »
I want to use a backing track with my PSR E463 so I made a wav file 44.1 Khz 16 bits. I think that's the right specifications.
So far so good. Now I want to use that file from an USB stick.

Problem 1: where to store the file. I tried the root, the map USER and a sub map. To be safe I use all three ways.

Problem 2: how to load that file into my keyboard. Do I need to use SONG button and use the + and - , or do I need the FUNCTION button.

Well I tried all of this but the wav file is not listed.
What am I doing wrong or is something wrong with the wave file?
Anybody know the anwer?
If it is the file can you get me a sample file for trying if that one will work? And for anylising.

Regards Ruud
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

Offline SciNote

Re: Wav file for backing track
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 05:25:45 PM »
I have no direct experience with the WAV file features of this keyboard, but it was my understanding that the keyboard can only output a WAV file based on recordings in the keyboard, such as a user song.  I do not believe that it has the capability to load in a WAV file and store it to internal memory, but I could be wrong on that -- someone with more experience with this is certainly free to correct me if I am wrong.  But this could be why you do not see this file listed.

If the keyboard cannot store a WAV file onboard, then you could put the WAV file on a music player and connect the output of the music player to the audio input on the PSR-E463.  Of course, any play/stop/fast-forward/rewind control would have to be done on the music player itself, but I believe the keyboard has some features to manipulate the sound going through the aux-in jack, such as a feature to attempt to filter out the vocals.

EDIT:  I took a look at the manual.  The WAV file operations are described starting on page 41.  It looks like you can play back WAV files, but only directly from a USB flashdrive, not by storing them in the keyboard.  And it is not clear from the manual whether you can play along with these recordings or not.  Also, it appears that I was wrong about recording user songs -- this does not appear to be possible -- which is why I crossed out my text above.  It looks like the WAV file recorder only records live performances.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 05:45:59 PM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 06:05:56 PM »
Hi Ruud,

the E463 can record and also play Audio files with the following specification: File extension ".wav", 44.1 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit resolution, stereo

Note: The wav files must be stereo! You cannot use mono wav files or MP3 files with the E463. So e.g. a "44.1 kHz / 16 bit / mono" wav file will not work.

Please read the section "Audio Playback and Recording" in the E463 Owner's Manual (pages 41 - 43).

To load a wav file from the connected USB stick press the [AUDIO] button to enter the Audio mode first. Follow the other instructions on page 41 of the manual please.

Audio files stored in the root directory of the USB stick should definitely be recognized.

For Audio (wav) files, it is not mentioned in the manual that they can also be saved in folders on the USB stick. According to the manual, MIDI song files (.mid) are recognized in the root directory as well as first-level and second-level folders, as mentioned here:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,58015.msg449855.html#msg449855

Maybe this also applies to wav files. You can just try it out. However, I recommend to ensure that no files with identical file names are saved multiple times (in different folders) on the USB stick.

P.S.
The manual says: "While in Audio mode, some operations cannot be executed. When you are not playing back or recording Audio files, exit from the Audio mode."

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 07:19:17 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 06:29:32 PM »
Thanks everybody for your respons.

It was not my intension to store the files in the keyboard only to play along.
I finally found the solution myself after a lot of trying several option.
It is this simple: make a map called 'Song' in the root of the flash drive and store there the wavefiles.
The wavfiles placed in the root are NOT visible.
Using the AUDIO button the stored files showup and can be played thru the keyboard speakers.

Ruud

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:42:13 PM by Duurduur »
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem