Author Topic: Wireless Ethernet adapter (UDWL01)  (Read 2236 times)

Offline FrankJaco

Wireless Ethernet adapter (UDWL01)
« on: January 11, 2021, 01:40:34 PM »
Hello all,

I was wondering if there was a definitive list of functions that are possible with the Yamaha Wifi adapter.  I have seen on the various forums there is some MIDI connectivity as some other very limited and specific functions.  But I am wondering if it is capable of providing basic connectivity to the actual file system on the SX900/700 and Genos?  Is it possible to "mount" the file system so that files (styles, voices. registrations, etc.)  can be easily moved to and from a laptop or other network appliance and perhaps an automated backup script could be run from the PC when it is connected?

I know USB provides this kind of connectivity, but I am looking for something that doesn't require "sneaker-net".

Thanks!

FJ

Offline meyrick

Re: Wireless Ethernet adapter (UDWL01)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 11:36:33 AM »
Hi All
I have to ask, can anyone recommend any other Wireless Ethernet Adapter other than the UDWL01, or is it specific to Yamaha? A WEA is a WEA after all, and the Yamaha unit is to my mind very expensive.

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 02:40:30 PM »
Hi All
I have to ask, can anyone recommend any other Wireless Ethernet Adapter other than the UDWL01, or is it specific to Yamaha? A WEA is a WEA after all, and the Yamaha unit is to my mind very expensive.

Hi meyrick,

to my knowledge, the Yamaha UD-WL01 is the only USB Wi-Fi adapter that can be used with Tyros5, PSR-S and PSR-SX models. I am not aware of any other adapter that is compatible with Yamaha keyboards.

By the way: We are talking about a Wi-Fi (also known as WLAN or Wireless LAN) adapter. (LAN = Local Area Network). This has nothing to do with "Ethernet" (which is a wired network technology). ;)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 02:42:40 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: meyrick

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 03:28:01 PM »
... I was wondering if there was a definitive list of functions that are possible with the Yamaha Wifi adapter.  I have seen on the various forums there is some MIDI connectivity as some other very limited and specific functions.  But I am wondering if it is capable of providing basic connectivity to the actual file system on the SX900/700 and Genos?  Is it possible to "mount" the file system so that files (styles, voices. registrations, etc.)  can be easily moved to and from a laptop or other network appliance and perhaps an automated backup script could be run from the PC when it is connected?

I know USB provides this kind of connectivity, but I am looking for something that doesn't require "sneaker-net". ...

Hi FJ,

you can use the Wi-Fi connection via the Yamaha UD-WD01 USB Wi-Fi adapter for:

- wireless MIDI connection (only MIDI Port 1), e.g. to connect an iPad with an app like Songbook+. Note: For live performances, a Bluetooth LE MIDI adapter (like the Yamaha MD-BT01 or the CME WIDI Master) is more reliable and has lower latency.

- installing Expansion content wirelessly from the YEM (instead of saving Pack Install files to a USB stick). This is actually the main function, which is why you should buy a UD-WL01 adapter.

- Audio AUX IN via Wi-Fi (from e.g. an iPad or iPhone). This is actually not needed with the PSR-SX models. It is easier to work with Bluetooth (built-in) here.

It is NOT possible to access the file system of Yamaha keyboards from the PC via Wi-Fi. On Tyros5 and Genos there is a "USB Storage Mode" available the access the hard disk (Tyros5) or the internal User drive (Genos) via USB cable. This function is NOT available on PSR-S and PSR-SX models.

But you can use the "Yamaha MusicSoft Downloader": First install the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver. Then connect the USB-to-Host terminal of the keyboard to the PC via an USB type "AB" cable. From the "MusicSoft Downloader" you can access the internal User drive of the keyboards, as well as USB flash drives connected to the keyboard.

With the MusicSoft Downloader, data is transferred using the USB-MIDI protocol. So in theory, this could also work wirelessly using the Yamaha UD-WL01 Wi-Fi adapter. A Network MIDI driver like "rtpMIDI" would then have to be installed on the PC:
>>> https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: FrankJaco