Author Topic: Styles on USB stick  (Read 6435 times)

Offline Duurduur

Styles on USB stick
« on: January 09, 2021, 02:10:31 PM »
I want to put some styles on an USB stick. Does anybody know how many can be put on a stick and can be read on my PSR E463? And what is the maximum size that to be used with my keyboard?
I can not find any information in the manual about this.
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Styles on USB stick
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 03:45:32 PM »
I think it's just 1 Style and the Max file size would be around 50 KB
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Normanfernandez

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 04:01:59 PM »
Sorry for the many replies. 
10 Style seems to be the limit.
But nowhere I can find how big the style file should be.

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 04:08:26 PM »
The manual only explain how to load a style and put into stylenumbers 236-245. I already know this, but I want to know how many of those stylefiles can be seen by the keyboard on the USB flasmemory. And are there also subfolders possible?
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 04:13:09 PM »
Based on the PSR S series. The maximum is  500 per folder.

The only way to know is, just load up the pen drive with style and see what's it's maximum.

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 05:27:59 PM »
I want to put some styles on an USB stick. Does anybody know how many can be put on a stick and can be read on my PSR E463? And what is the maximum size that to be used with my keyboard?
I can not find any information in the manual about this.
The manual only explain how to load a style and put into stylenumbers 236-245. I already know this, but I want to know how many of those stylefiles can be seen by the keyboard on the USB flasmemory. And are there also subfolders possible?

Hi Duurduur,

the manual says that Song files (MIDI files with the extension .mid) are recognized if they are stored in the Root directory or in a first/second level folder on a USB stick. (See the attached picture.)

But this is for Song files only. For Style files the manual says :

(Source: PSR-E463 Owners Manual, page 75, "Loading a Style File")

... The following two Load operations are available:
Loading of a Style file (.sty) saved on the root directory on the USB flash drive.
• Loading of a Style file (.sty) transferred from a computer via the Musicsoft Downloader and stored in the internal memory of this instrument.

Accordingly, Style files are only recognized in the root directory of the USB stick, not in folders.

Up to the PSR-E423 there is a note in the manual like "The maximum capacity per Style file (.sty) is 50KB. Files that exceed the limit will not be recognized on this instrument." In the manuals of E433/443/453/463 I did not find this information anymore. However, I suspect that 50 KB limit still applies.

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Normanfernandez

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 05:33:40 PM »
Hi guys,

The problem with the file system of the PSR E463 is that the keyboard will only see the first 100 style files on the USB stick (sorted by alphabetic order), whatever the number of style files stored on the stick.

Practically, this means that it is best to work with small, cheap USB sticks. No point of having a 64 Gb stick, a 1 or 2 Gb stick will do. On each stick, store 100 style file of a given genre, e.g. pop or jazz.

Another solution is to have the 100 styles you like best on a stick. Of these 100 styles, upload your 10 favorites (or the 10 you need for a given set or an exam) to the keyboard.

Hope this helps,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 06:36:08 PM »
Hi guys,

The problem with the file system of the PSR E463 is that the keyboard will only see the first 100 style files on the USB stick (sorted by alphabetic order), whatever the number of style files stored on the stick.

Practically, this means that it is best to work with small, cheap USB sticks. No point of having a 64 Gb stick, a 1 or 2 Gb stick will do. On each stick, store 100 style file of a given genre, e.g. pop or jazz.

Another solution is to have the 100 styles you like best on a stick. Of these 100 styles, upload your 10 favorites (or the 10 you need for a given set or an exam) to the keyboard.

Hope this helps,

Vinciane

Thank you very much.
This is the information I was looking for. Where did you find this information because I could not find it in the manual?

Regards Ruud
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 07:11:08 PM »
Well, I found it by trial and error... I put many styles on an USB stick and quickly noticed that the keyboard would only see the first 100. It is due to the internal system of the PSR E4xx series from the PSR E433 to the PSR E463.

Try it out for yourself  ;)

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 09:40:27 PM »
I did, and I have 116 styles on the USB stick now. Well I have not load them one by one but if I go to the last one #116 to #101 are all visible. So now I still don't know what is the maximum. But that does not matter much because to load style which is #250 for instance it takes to much pressing of the button. Better to have less styles on a stick and use more sticks. That's what I do now. If have sticks in made categories and that's very handy.

Ruud
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463

Offline cthiggin

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 02:06:39 AM »
Folks
I have at least 150 on my usb drive, which I draw from when I need a special style.  Go Figure

Tyros 5

Tom

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 03:57:47 PM »
Folks
I have at least 150 on my usb drive, which I draw from when I need a special style.  Go Figure

Tyros 5

Tom

Hi Tom,

Tyros5 supports a maximum of 500 files or subfolders per folder. But smaller or relatively old models are more limited here.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 04:00:36 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline cthiggin

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 04:48:17 PM »
Thanks overover for the information.

Tom

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 06:02:13 PM »
Hi Tom,

Tyros5 supports a maximum of 500 files or subfolders per folder. But smaller or relatively old models are more limited here.

Best regards,
Chris

500 Is very nice but as far as I know you cannot jump from one letter to another. I think to search to a style is not possible. Not on my E463 anyway.

Ruud
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463

Offline dlepera

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 06:11:43 PM »
Hello.  This is an interesting topic.  I have a PSR EW410 and never could figure out how to load into the user area, let along adding a style. I would like to ask the steps in which you can load it. Say I have a 4gb usb stick with only one style file... DiscoPolo.T108.psr and it is 80k in size. Sounds like it is possible to do?     Regards.   dom 
Life is a learning experience and sharing it is it's biggest reward!

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 06:18:21 PM »
Hello.  This is an interesting topic.  I have a PSR EW410 and never could figure out how to load into the user area, let along adding a style. I would like to ask the steps in which you can load it. Say I have a 4gb usb stick with only one style file... DiscoPolo.T108.psr and it is 80k in size. Sounds like it is possible to do?     Regards.   dom

Style file size must be 50KB Max
Also it should be SFF1 Format ( I'm not sure if that's updated )
Style parts to be be deleted
 ( Keeping only, 1 Intro , Variation A / B , 1 Fill in and 1/ Ending.
OTS section to be deleted ( If it still exceeds 50 KB)

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 06:49:22 PM »
@dlepera
Hi Dom,

as Norman said, the maximum file size of external Styles is 50KB on the PSR-EW410. Furthermore, the Style file must have the file extension .sty. So, Styles with other extension (e.g. .prs) must be renamed before.

Note: Only the SFF (= SFF1) Style File Format can be used on the EW410. Styles in "SFF GE" (= SFF2) format can be converted to SFF1 using the tool "Style Format 2 Converter".

There are also several tools for Style editing, for example to achieve a file size below 50 KB by deleting some unneeded Style data. But note that you need some basic knowledge of MIDI and Style editing to do this yourself.

P.S.
For information on loading a Style file from USB, see page 75 of the EW410 Owner's Manual. :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 06:53:20 PM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: dlepera

Offline dlepera

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 07:04:28 PM »
Appreciate the clarification.  Think best for me to just stick with the sx700, easier to work with.  All the best Chris!         dom
Life is a learning experience and sharing it is it's biggest reward!

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 07:11:54 PM »

Appreciate the clarification.  Think best for me to just stick with the sx700, easier to work with.  All the best Chris!         dom

:o:o  :o

You have the SX700 don't waste time converting styles lol.

Cubase - Kontakt6