Author Topic: Voice Edit - Pitch changes  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Luluc

Voice Edit - Pitch changes
« on: January 04, 2021, 09:52:54 AM »
Hello all musicians,

I'm discovering a feature I don' use yet : the pitch change.
I think it would be useful to use it to add more realism for the right voices in an arrangement.
I have found very few information in the Genos reference manual.

1 - Menu2/Voice stting/Tune

Here, we can set a different pitch setting (-63,0,+63 cents) for L/R1/R2/R3 voices, this setting being saved in a registration.
According to your experience, what are the tips and tricks to know to use this feature ?

I did some tests, and I see that a value of 6 to 10 cents would be sufficient. What is the maximum difference in cents  we can allow between two voices ? But it may depend on the kind of instrument : a piano should be less detuned than a trombone for example.

2 - Insertion Effect/Legacy/Pitch change1 DSP

In this effect, we have Fine 1 (-50,0,+50 cents ?) and Fine 2 (-50,0,+50). How does it work ? How Fine 1 and Fine 2 interfere ? As far I understand, does that mean that the pitch could be variable during the play of a song ? It looks this effect adds more control on the pitch.

BRegards,
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 05:02:42 PM by Luluc »
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Offline mikf

Re: Voice Edit - Pitch changes
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 04:59:10 PM »
I think you may be on your own on this one!!
Mike

Online overover

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 06:22:56 PM »
Hi Luluc,

I have not yet tested this "Pitch Change" Insert Effect types myself.

But I suspect that you can use the "Fine 1" and "Fine 2" parameters to make two differently detuned signals (e.g. "Fine 1" = -10, "Fine 2" = +10).

And using the "Pan 1" and "Pan 2" parameters you can place these two "channels" independently of each other in the Stereo Panorama. The values L63 ... C ... R63 are possible for both. (See also the attached picture.)

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 06:26:49 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 06:50:22 PM »
Dear Luluc,

this is a feature normally available in all arranger of a good level.

It can be used in many ways.

Just to make a few example:

-same synth pad  sound on R1 and R2, slightly detuned each other (- 4, +4, or more, at your taste), you get a typical majestic pad sound, as used in the analog synths era.

-same guitar sound, as above, you get a sound similar to chorus effect;

-same bright piano sound, as above, you get a honky-tonk piano,

-two different brass sounds, as above, you get more realistic sound, as normally the brass instruments are a little detuned each other.

-and so, on.

Enjoy!

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline Luluc

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 07:32:43 PM »
Thks overover & MadrasGiaguari for your inputs.

This feature don't look to be much used by the users, I may be wrong.

For the Pitch Change Insert effect, it is not quite clear how to assign the Fine 1 and Fine 2 to R1/R2 or R1/R3...etc
I will investigate more in the next weeks.
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Online overover

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 08:07:39 PM »
Thks overover & MadrasGiaguari for your inputs.

This feature don't look to be much used by the users, I may be wrong.

For the Pitch Change Insert effect, it is not quite clear how to assign the Fine 1 and Fine 2 to R1/R2 or R1/R3...etc
I will investigate more in the next weeks.

Thanks for your quick feedback, Luluc!

An Insert Effect is only ever applied to exactly ONE Part, e.g. Right1.

If you want, you can apply two different Detune settings to this ONE part and then e.g. pan "hard left" and "hard right", as mentioned before. For another Part (e.g. Right 2) you have to use another Insert Effect.

But the "Pitch Change" Effect types can also selected in the Chorus and Variation Effect blocks. So if you want to apply this Effect type to multiple Parts at the same time, use it in the Chorus block or in the Variation block (when configured as a System Effect).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)