Author Topic: External monitor to Genos  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Mr. Gary

External monitor to Genos
« on: January 03, 2021, 01:18:15 PM »
I have a spare LG monitor model E2250, 60Hz, resolution 1920 x 1080.
After watching various videos I purchased the USB / VGA adapter  (Strenter) from Amazon, plugged it all in, switched Genos on but nothing.
The USB was connected 'To Device' on the rear of Geno's via the adapter to the VGA port on the monitor, apparently that is all that is required, the monitor should fire up once Genos is switched on.
One thing of note is that a message on the monitor flashes on screen showing 'Power Saving Mode' so unsure as to whether this is detremental at all?
I've had a few problems with my eyes so the larger screen would be of great help, any assistance greatly appreciated..
B regards
Gary

Offline Rick D.

Re: External monitor to Genos
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 02:09:10 PM »
Gary,

Make sure your adapter is listed as compatible from this list.

https://europe.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/2/1274342/USB_Display_Adapter_Compatible_List.pdf

See page 114 of the Genos Owners Manual for instructions on how to hook it up.

Make sure to visit the MENU/Utility/Speaker/Connectivity area on the keyboard to set it up.

Rick D.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Gary

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 07:57:52 PM »
I have a spare LG monitor model E2250, 60Hz, resolution 1920 x 1080.
After watching various videos I purchased the USB / VGA adapter  (Strenter) from Amazon, plugged it all in, switched Genos on but nothing.
The USB was connected 'To Device' on the rear of Geno's via the adapter to the VGA port on the monitor, apparently that is all that is required, the monitor should fire up once Genos is switched on.
One thing of note is that a message on the monitor flashes on screen showing 'Power Saving Mode' so unsure as to whether this is detremental at all?
I've had a few problems with my eyes so the larger screen would be of great help, any assistance greatly appreciated. ...

Hi Gary,

the message about "Power Saving Mode" states that the connected USB device is using too much power. Your "Strenter" USB/VGA adapter is probably a USB 3.0 device. (Please check the specifications of the adapter for this.)

The Genos only supports USB 2.0 display adapters. And the device must be based on a compatible chipset, e.g. DisplayLink DL-165 or DL-195, see also here:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41742.msg328532.html#msg328532

I recommend using an adapter from the "USB Display Adapter Compatible List" mentioned above. I have the "i-tec USB2HDTRIO". This device can be connected to displays via VGA, DVI or HDMI cables.

P.S.
You can also buy Genos compatible USB display adapters in Music stores:
>>> https://www.thomann.de/gb/i_tec_usb2hdtrio.htm

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 08:05:42 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline tbaroghel

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 01:15:14 AM »
Just a thought: make sure that your monitor expects the signal from the VGA input, as it may have several inputs and maybe the active one is not the VGA. Use whatever menu ( menu button, input button, square symbol with an inward arrow, ...) to do the selection.
Thierry
Humbly returning to arrangers after many years, with a PSR-SX900