Author Topic: Multi Fingering Versus AI Fingering.  (Read 5490 times)

Offline YammyFan

Multi Fingering Versus AI Fingering.
« on: January 03, 2021, 01:23:22 AM »
I can't decide which to set my PSR 970 to.  I read on the Forum that AI Fingering will automatically  look after Slash Chords for you, and that appeals to me enormously, as I have awful trouble playing Slash Chords. But, I rather like Multi Fingering. I think that Multi Fingering does not  automatically play Slash Chords, but as my ear is not finely tuned I cannot be sure.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Multi Fingering Versus AI Fingering.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 04:21:46 AM »
I can't decide which to set my PSR 970 to.  I read on the Forum that AI Fingering will automatically  look after Slash Chords for you, and that appeals to me enormously, as I have awful trouble playing Slash Chords. But, I rather like Multi Fingering. I think that Multi Fingering does not  automatically play Slash Chords, but as my ear is not finely tuned I cannot be sure.

It really depends on what you play in the right hand.

If you're lazy like me, and mostly play just the melody in the right, multifinger works best for me. [Note that you can still play slash chords in Multifinger mode -- you just add the bass note below the chord you play (so you're playing a four-note chord, which I agree, sometimes isn't all that easy)].

If you're a piano-type player, playing more than one note in the right hand, then AI works best because the keyboard has a better chance of picking up the desired chord. It won't always figure out the right chord (and certainly isn't 100% "automatic", although it might be 90% right).

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: rezaazadi1361, YammyFan

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 08:58:58 AM »
Not sure by what you mean by ‘automatically’. It doesn’t happen by itself, you have to ‘instruct’ the keyboard by what you play even in AI mode. The advantage of AI settings is that the keyboard can often work out correct chords including slash chords from less than a full played chord. Here is an article which explains.   https://hub.yamaha.com/genos-power-playing-mastering-ai-fingered-mode/
Fingered on bass is another mode which recognizes slash chords from what you play, but unlike AI you have to play the full chord to get recognition.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 06:05:21 PM »
My two pence worth is that anyone who's past using the often called 'one finger chord' accompaniment, and are playing their own fingered chords, should immediately switch to AI Fingered mode. That mode is totally 'transparent' to normal chords like majors, minors, 7ths etc, so all those can be played normally. The mode allows far more than just slash chords to be played - if you take the time to learn how, or just experiment. (A decent knowledge of chord construction helps with that!)

Slash chords do indeed have to be played. On a 61 note keyboard you'll have to set the Left and Style key splits to G2 rather than F#2, to allow the very common G/B or Gm/Bb to be played. You play the chords as they are written. C/G is spoken as "C over G", so if you think "Play a C over (meaning above) a G", that will get the chord correct. Other slash chords like G7/F will require just two notes, G over an F in this case (or F-G if you go from left to right). That will get you started!

There was an excellent series of articles in Yamaha Club Magazine, written by Jackie Marsden that explained a fair bit about AI, but really only scratched the surface. I've been asked to rewrite and extend the articles, which I will do at some point, but AI Fingered mode keeps springing surprises on me, and I've been using it since it first arrived. I don't think even Yamaha know everything that it does.

It's a mode that will do as much or as little as you'll need, so you really can grow into it. So why not use it? :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, YammyFan

janamdo

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 09:32:12 PM »
Hi
Yes, interesting...
Using it but i don't have much information about it.
Mode : fingered on bass has the normal Multi- fingering plus slash chord notated on display ( correct?).

Now there is the AI fingered mode  : slash chord notation is also notated on display.
Seems that triad and seventh chords + their inversion all can played with two fingers ?
Above 7 chords are played with 3 fingers ?

I am curious to read a deeper tutorial about it , if AI has taken over the play.
For the moment i am staying to still using the multi fingered chods, because its not clear here on the forum where the AI fingered mode is standing for?
(the artificial intellingence is indeed difficult for my intelligence  ;D )

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 01:14:31 PM by janamdo »

Offline andyg

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 11:31:19 PM »
AI does indeed stand for Artificial Intelligence in this case.

It's only a marketing name, really, as the keyboard is only as 'intelligent' as the algorithms that let it translate the notes played into chords. The real intelligence belonged to the people that developed it and sold it to Yamaha!

I would never advocate using any form of 'on bass' mode, as it requires to to play all 'normal' chords in root inversion, so your left hand is jumping around like crazy. All your left hand chords should be as close as possible, so you play the inversions that allow for this. There are a few occasions when an 'on bass' mode will let you play a chord more easily than AI Fingered mode, but so few as to make it redundant for most people.

It goes without saying that the more 'exotic' your chord requirements are, the more left hand gymnastics you have to do, but AI usually delivers the goods, and often with less fingers than you might think you need!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

janamdo

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 12:10:53 PM »

It goes without saying that the more 'exotic' your chord requirements are, the more left hand gymnastics you have to do, but AI usually delivers the goods, and often with less fingers than you might think you need!
I like to be intelligent, but don't not yet how handle this AI fingering chord mode
This AI mode must then be capable to play ..you named it.. any chord easily. 

Got here a score example from this forum i believe: Spread a little Happiness
With the AI mode should not be problem to play these chords ?
Only the chordsymbols are notated, so i must find out the right chords fro easy playing.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 12:17:29 PM by janamdo »

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 01:15:58 PM »
If you can't get to grips with AI mode then why not stick with the multi fingering? AI is an alternative which some people like, and can help with some advanced chording, but the advantage if there even is any, is slight for most people. It is not going to magically make life easier. You seem to be at the stage where advanced chording is not an issue you should be worrying about yet, so why not just leave this decision to the side for a while.
Mike

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 01:41:43 PM »
I occasionally spend a little time playing through the other modes looking for possible features/benefits (for me) that I might have missed, but I always come back 100% to AI which I think ticks all the boxes
Genos, Montage 7, PSR EW-410 HS5's, mfc10
Former Keyboards: T1/2/3/5 & various Organs

janamdo

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 01:52:25 PM »
If you can't get to grips with AI mode then why not stick with the multi fingering? AI is an alternative which some people like, and can help with some advanced chording, but the advantage if there even is any, is slight for most people. It is not going to magically make life easier. You seem to be at the stage where advanced chording is not an issue you should be worrying about yet, so why not just leave this decision to the side for a while.
Mike
Thanks
Advanced chording is not a issue for my current playing, but if i can play any chord with ease with the AI fingering then i choose for that of course, agree?
Only don't get yet grip on the AI fingering chord mode. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 02:07:14 PM by janamdo »

Offline mikf

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 03:20:27 PM »
 It will really make no difference which you use, multi fingered or AI mode, if you are playing only basic chords. They will behave pretty much the same.
Mike

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 03:22:45 PM »
Only don't get yet grip on the AI fingering chord mode.

If you haven’t come to grips with it after all this discussion, then you’re better off not using it.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

janamdo

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 04:24:57 PM »
If you haven’t come to grips with it after all this discussion, then you’re better off not using it.

Cheers,
Fred

I can follow the online chord  examples what it does the AI for some chords , but i don't see a greater pic now then that.
There is no youtube tutorial to find what explains the AI playstyle with acmp.

Cheers
Jan

Offline Ed B

Keep on learning

janamdo

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 08:38:45 AM »
Hi
Thanks
Its divided in 6 parts and missing are the examples as Midi file.

Try first to follow my lessons "chords" in Multi fingered mode and then afterwards to look at the AI fingering mode
The Ai fingering mode has nothing to do with piano chords and its designed for playig with the ACMP as it seems.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 08:39:58 AM by janamdo »

Offline mikf

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2021, 09:57:05 AM »
If you learn to finger chords properly that will work in both modes.