Author Topic: Genos Tutorials - Songs from Scratch  (Read 3545 times)

markusthegeek

Genos Tutorials - Songs from Scratch
« on: December 31, 2020, 04:19:30 AM »
Hi all,

I started a new 5 part video tutorial series today on my YouTube channel.

This series is all about a new workflow I have been working on for the last 10 80s cover songs I did in 2020.

Finally figured out how to directly record a new song from scratch without the need to first create styles and all the restrictions of the style editor. While I am missing to drum setup editor, I can finally use a sustain pedal, have 16 instead of 8 tracks, can use more than two drum tracks, can use arpeggiator while recording (!), can directly access the mixer, etc.

This workflow is also fully compatible with exporting the song to a computer as single audio tracks for each instrument and drum type and mixing and mastering using a software sequencer. Let me know if you want to see a special tutorial on the latter using Ableton Live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR7ElNgfWTY

gruss,
Markus

Genos!

Re: Genos Tutorials - Songs from Scratch
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 06:31:14 AM »
I usually have well over 40 tracks, 50 or more. I have 32 tracks running through the Genos, 16 tracks into each port. The Genos is new to us since February, so it has never been a restriction, although I can see how trying to use its styles could easily become a limitation.

Here is something that you might try. When you are finished with 16 tracks, run that midi through MEGAEnhancer and swap out the standard instruments with the Genos more advanced instruments. You will need to make a few small mods on the Genos midi inputs to be able to play all 32 channels/tracks.

Once you are set, your sound from the Genos will be nothing like you've ever heard before. It's a pretty good feeling, having spent so much money, but hearing is believing. I spent full price on my Roland FA-08 and my Genos was a little over a grand more than the price of two FA-08's.

My rationale for financial justification was that I could use the Yammy in place of the sound output of two keyboards, which I do; also I didn't currently own ANY Yamaha keyboards -- Casio, Korg, Roland, but no Yammys. I really liked the sound and we didn't really own an "arranger", so we bought it.

I didn't know now what I knew then, but knowing what I do know now? The only thing that I would have changed is that I would have bought a Genos a whole lot earlier than I did! Love it to pieces. 😉  👍

I'm a Reaper fan, so no real interest here. But, if you do put out a video, I will watch it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 06:41:35 AM by Genos! »

markusthegeek

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 11:43:21 PM »
Hey Genos!,

wow, many great points, e.g. I sometimes forget that you can use the Genos as a 2 x 16 track MIDI sound module. I guess it is somewhat more restricted internally with only playing back one MIDI song with 16 tracks plus 4 live voices plus 4 multi pads. Somehow the insert effects seem to be also restricted to 24 instead of 32 tracks but I might be wrong about this.

so it sounds like you are starting out your song in reaper and then replace the mega voices vs me starting out on the Genos with the non-standard GM voices right away maybe?

if you start on the computer, what makes you use the Genos instead of software instruments? my friends are all trying to get me towards a full software based setup with basically unlimited number of insert effects vs just one and a decent mastering suite. but somehow I do like my dedicated hardware setup and even starting my songs still on the Genos vs computer...

I am uploading parts 2 to 5 over the next days...

gruss,
Markus

Genos!

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 05:25:20 AM »
I'm a Reaper fan simply means that I have no interest in Ableton, however, I have had a look at it in the past. What I use to compose on depends on what I am doing at the time, and it varies; I compose on everything.

Sometimes I may use the weighted keys of the Roland FA-08, or if I need the full 88-key range. Otherwise I would use the Genos, or whichever keyboard has the sounds I am searching for. Other than that, I will sometimes use VSTs triggered with the Roland or the Genos.

At first ALL of this doesn't matter much, and I am just trying to get down an idea. Afterward, I will layer and swap out different voices, depending on the sound I am after. If the track being laid requires a lot of CC or automation, then it's time to use the WX5 Yammy Wind MIDI Controller.

The WX5 has 8 octave keys and a lot of simultaneous control; it's absolutely wonderful in the hands of any experienced sax player! ;) The WX is really great for Strings and Woodwinds, also some Percussion, i.e. Timpani, drum rolls, etc. (using tonguing and breath to control the hits and volume during durations, along with reed pressure [pitch bend] and modwheel [right thumb]) There's even a sustain button.

So there is no "real" answer to what I use. It's whatever feels (at the time) will give me the best result for the sound and feel that I am after.

I do record ALL of the Midi Channels from the various Midi ports into Reaper via the Motu MTP/AV Midi Timepiece (handles 8 Midi ports [both in and out]) simultaneously.

What I really like about hardware is the responsiveness (lack of delay [latency]). It helps immensely when composing live, especially when laying down many, many tracks.

The MEGAEnhancer "trick" isn't something I normally spend a lot of time doing. It's just something easy to do that I thought you might try and enjoy.

I think you should go ahead with your video. Most certainly many will watch it and might even give you some good pointers along the way. You never know until you do it. Most certainly you won't get much feedback on it until you do.

Also don't lean too much on the approval of others. As the song goes... "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Step up to the plate and let 'er rip! Many will be watching.  :)

Markus, we have watched many Olly Woo videos in the past when we was first got our Genos. So good to meet you online in the forum! grüß Gott
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 05:41:43 AM by Genos! »

Offline Karlos

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 12:16:13 PM »
I shall watch later today...sounds interesting.

Thank you for all you other vids in 2020.

Hope you have a great 2021 Markus  :)

Best regards.

markusthegeek

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 01:25:01 AM »
Hey Genos!,

that is really amazing to learn about your process, I wished Yamaha would actually talk to us songwriter / composers / arrangers / producers and not only the people that are retired and put a keyboard in their living room like they did with home organs in the 70s and 80s ;-) I feel the Genos is okay for live sound but a far cry away from a modern all-encompassing workstation or arranger. You are just not able to create a decent mixed and mastered song with it to upload to say Soundcloud without extensive use of a software DAW like Reaper or Live etc. (that will work based on the audio per track and not MIDI). Curious to see how Yamaha will sell something like the Genos going forward a generation...

great to hear about the WX5, I did play oboe at some time so would be oboe to pick up the fingering ;-) I substituted it with a home build Arduino based breath controller that sends data via MIDI. you can see it in one of my songs (True!). I actually went to Musikmesse when the WX7 and I believe a version from Akai came out lol. you made me curious again to get a WX5 and even a VL70-M...

I also used to own a MOTU MTP/AV Midi Timepiece back in the days, surprised the USB drivers still work for you.

I agree with the latency and no fuzz and also the restrictions in a way of hardware, so much time wasted on updating your computer system, drivers etc. I even started to solder my own sound hardware together in 2020, learning a lot about modular synths and series 500 effects.

cool, I might give the mega enhancer a try!

btw, in my tutorial I just uploaded part 3 which is full of Genos song recording information, I never end up showing Ableton at all, it is only starting a song on the Genos. you are very right, you got to do your thing, there is always someone complaining (this forum is no exception) ;-)

great to meet you as well, that makes me happy that my videos were useful as an introduction :-D frohes neues Jahr!

gruss,
Markus
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 01:15:05 AM by markusthegeek »

markusthegeek

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 01:26:36 AM »
Hey Karlos,

great to hear from you, thanks for your great feedback and happy new year to you as well!

let me know what you think about this new tutorial series, I will upload part 4 tomorrow and part 5 this Sunday.

gruss,
Markus

markusthegeek

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 01:15:49 AM »
Part 4 is up now with more recording and mixing...

https://youtu.be/80kePsPo-0c

markusthegeek

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 01:37:32 AM »
Here is the 5th and final part for now. Let me know if you want to see more details on anything...

https://youtu.be/KQeo1kI8xY4