Author Topic: Multi-track recording on CVP 407  (Read 2699 times)

Offline tangothomas

Multi-track recording on CVP 407
« on: January 03, 2021, 09:36:41 AM »
I just posted this link in another section but perhaps it is also relevant here? It’s a guy explaining how to create multitrack recording on a CVP 407. He’s doing a short version on The Windmills of Your Mind.

https://youtu.be/cufisvCuM9I

Offline mikf

Re: Multi-track recording on CVP 407
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 10:25:23 AM »
Multi track recording is pretty straightforward on these arrangers, as is shown here, but the tutorial is a bit dated showing an instrument with the old non touch screen and buttons, which have been gone for some time on most models from psr to clavinova.
One criticism of these keyboards - and it applies to the whole range , not just Clavinovas, is that despite providing pretty sophisticated multi track recording there is no way to do a final mix. I have done many multi track recordings on these arrangers, and no matter how good you are, there is always a need to do a final mix where volumes across every section can be adjusted in real time to get the best overall blend. A major shortcoming which has never been addressed. 
Mike

Offline tangothomas

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 04:38:19 PM »
Mike!

Have you seen the comment in the clip, second from bottom?

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 05:30:50 PM »
Yes, I read it as saying the same thing I am saying, you can't change the volumes in real time as a final mix.
You can change the volume of a complete channel, and save it,  but that is not the same thing. You have to be able to make real time volume adjustments across the whole track in each channel and save this to do a final mix. I know for no way to do this, and a Yamaha tech confirmed to me it was not possible. You can do it with an external recorder by playing recording as a midi, then playing the midi into a recording device of software while you use the mixer in real time to adjust each channel. But you can't do it on the keyboard. 
Mike