Author Topic: Genos Custom CFX Grand Piano Sharing  (Read 5277 times)

Offline porterma

Genos Custom CFX Grand Piano Sharing
« on: December 27, 2020, 08:08:30 PM »
Hi,
I know there are many posts from previous about how to tweak Piano sounds on the Genos and other Yamaha keyboards.
And I do know that this is a very "individual" thing - what one person loves, another can't stand.
I am wondering if anyone is willing to share their favourite Genos CFX Grand custom voice that they have created?
I would be super fun to try some of these custom voices.

Thanks,

Mark

Offline Roshure

Re: Genos Custom CFX Grand Piano Sharing
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 08:05:47 PM »
Hi Mark: Genos Pianos

This tweak (below) brings out the CFX Concert Grand to full potential:
Select "CFX Concert Grand to User Right 1 voice, then do the following quick & easy steps:

(1) Press "Menu" (dedicated top right button of 6 white lighted buttons.
     Press same "Menu" button again to be on "Menu 2"
     (same button toggles between Menu 1 and Menu 2)

(2) ON TOUCH SCREEN: press "Voice Edit" (top left on Menu 2 screen).

(3) "Common" screen appears. Directly Under Touch Sensitivity …

(4) Touch "Depth" and increase from default 64 up to 68.

(5) Touch "Offset" and increase from default 64 up to 66.

(6) At top of screen touch "Save." Then "Save Here.
" Then "Name" (Change as you like or keep same name) – then "OK.
" It is now a voice saved in "User" file, selectable same as "preset" voices.

I don´t remember the source of this tip. 

Roshure

The following users thanked this post: Siegfried, Stubby

Offline porterma

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 10:29:39 PM »
Hi Roshure,
Thank you so much for this tip.
I will try it out.
We have had a lot of views to this post, but only 1 reply - so thank you very much for your contribution.
I know many others have "tweeked" their piano voices; I was hoping more would be willing to share.
Thanks again,

Mark

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 01:23:22 AM »
They will eventually chime in😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Bob88

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 02:30:51 AM »
Thank you Roshure.   Looking forward to hearing it.  I have been searching for a better piano sound for some time.   Regards, Bob

Genos!

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 04:42:43 AM »
.... had a lot of views to this post, but only 1 reply ....

That's sometimes how it goes. But I don't think a lot of people tweak their pianos. Most people on this forum I would suppose would rather be playing than tweaking sounds, although there are some.

I have different keyboards of various makes and models, and sound modules, and many--many VST pianos that I can layer. I don't spend ANY time whatsoever tweaking the sound of ANY pianos.

Don't feel left out that people aren't responding. The people on this forum aren't like that at all, but very cordial and actually quite wonderful. I think you may have misjudged them a little. Also, some may be on holiday, or have other more serious matters to attend to. It's been a rough year for many.

Sorry my response wasn't of much help, but it is what it is. I didn't want you to feel neglected.  ;)

Offline nmiliotis

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 12:45:01 PM »
As Roshure mention above, you can also change the Touch Curve from Normal to Easy1 or Soft1.
Press the Menu button and then navigate to Menu2->Keyboard Joystick. From there you will find the touck curve.
This will make a big difference.

The following users thanked this post: Roshure

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 01:42:02 PM »
As I think was said before we all perceive how we think a piano should sound according to how we use it. A lot of us are not pianists and so want a sweet warm sounding piano for our solo parts. As I would not know how to use a sustain pedal correctly on piano I always add extra reverb and DSP effects so the piano is not to staccato in sound.

The following users thanked this post: Roshure

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 06:17:10 PM »
I hardly use the piano voice in general setups but do have an occasional need to revisit piano playing in amongst the usual "arranger stuff"
So I have some tweaks I use with preset pianos to try to pull them up a bit towards how I remember a real piano might behave, having not had one in the house for decades.
I have put them on a registration at this link

https://app.box.com/s/7k30fu9j3yyllhgqkmsdr6m5fhej4wwc

R1 uses the CFX Grand, R2 uses the Legacy Grand Piano which I have often thought to be the better sounding of the arranger pianos for some years, and R3 uses the preset untweaked CFX Grand for comparison. The only change I made to R3 was to set the Balance up so it sounds with a similar intensity to R1, without which it would have always lost out on presence.
The general tweaks are small, ie. increase in Reverb, increase in Touch Offset and some increased mid range EQ (in the Voice Editor) for the CFX. A more major change was to alter the settings in the Damper Resonance DSP so that whenever the sustain pedal is used the sound becomes fuller so you know it.
Similar tweaks apply to the Legacy piano, except that more major changes were made to the lower end EQ settings.
Normal voice files containing the tweaks can be created from the registration if needed by saving when in the Voice Editor.

So these settings are mainly designed for 2 handed piano playing with good use of the sustain pedal to bring out the effects. but of course they can also be used with any arranger setup. Note the Registration links to an onboard jazz style which can be turned on if you choose. ;)
Speakers used are Yamaha HS8.

Note: Before using the Reg you may wish to put  ticks in Parameter lock against Fingering and Split Point, otherwise my settings will probably change yours.   
John
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 06:33:55 PM by jwyvern »

The following users thanked this post: loendersloot, Roshure, balcino

Offline porterma

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 06:24:27 PM »
Hey, thanks for all the input.
I do really appreciate the responses.
I am not disappointed and I love this Forum and all the help and resources that members are constantly willing to share.
I just thought I would see what "custom" piano voices members might have come up with.
Thanks, again.
Happy New Year to all!

Mark

Offline YvonP

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 06:41:24 AM »
I think all piano voices on Yamaha arrangers do good for what they are designed: cut through the mix, you can’t hear acoustic subtle effects anyway.

But many are just too soft and with a narrow stereo image, at least with my Sennheiser headphones,  especially the CFX.

Often, I want to play piano by itself, but then, some parameters need some tweaking to enhance realism.

I could post detailed values for each piano sound I modified, but in general,
     I will boost Velocity depth around 73, Release to 27 ( damper felts don’t  kill string resonance instantly),
     Damper resonance 40, especially for high half of keyboard, lower the Reverb to 8,
     boost Chorus to 12 ( real pianos are somewhere between recently tuned and due for tuning), and Eq settings to taste.

My best built-in piano sounds are from the Legacy folder:
     Concert grand 000-122-001 ( the one most preferred with the recent blind test on this forum ),
     PopGrand 104-005-001,
     Warm Grand 000-114-001
     Grand Piano 000-113-001: like a good upright Grand.

But my best expansion piano voice is the GranCoda Live, from a member on this forum ( FREE! ), with similar tweaks, of course!

Hope that helps,

Yvon

The following users thanked this post: porterma