Author Topic: Yamaha PSR-E253 playing extra notes  (Read 4258 times)

gerard1206

Yamaha PSR-E253 playing extra notes
« on: December 25, 2020, 04:52:58 AM »
Hey! I've had my Yamaha PSR-E253 for a while and something very strange happened out of nowhere.
When I play G and D, Db is also played.
When I play Db and Ab, G is also played.
This occurs in every octave and only when the notes are within the same octave.
Is there a fix or should I try to buy a new keyboard?
Thanks,
Gerard

Offline Rick D.

Re: Yamaha PSR-E253 playing extra notes
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 05:18:51 AM »
Gerard,

I’m not familiar with that model of keyboard, but it sounds like you have the harmony running if that keyboard has one. Does it happen when you play just the right hand or when you play with both hands together?

Rick D.

gerard1206

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 05:41:07 AM »
It happens whenever the notes mentioned are played together, even if other notes are added.
I'm looking around for a harmony function but I cant find one...
It only occurs with certain note combos.
Thank you Rick,
Gerard

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 06:46:46 AM »
Hello

It could happen if you use midi, a software and a kind of retroactive loop.

Soundphase

DonM

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 06:59:06 AM »
I had one do something like that.  I changed batteries and that fixed it.  Might try that, if you are using batteries.

gerard1206

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 07:11:21 AM »
Hey soundphase,
I am not using midi.
Thank you though,
Gerard

gerard1206

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2020, 07:12:57 AM »
Hey Don,
I am not using batteries, I am plugged into an outlet.
Thank you though,
Gerard

Offline SciNote

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 08:36:12 AM »
If you are getting these extra notes without any kind of harmony feature or automatic accompaniment going, then this does sound like something going out of whack on the keyboard.  Additionally, the notes you are describing do not sound like anything that would automatically be played by the keyboard, even with auto accompaniment, as they make up a "suspended +4th" chord (G, Db {or technically, it would be called C# in this case}, and D is a G sus+4 chord, and Db, G, and Ab is a Db sus+4 chord), and I seriously doubt that those chords are supported by the auto accompaniment in that keyboard, and even if they were and that was the cause of the problem, then you should hear it on notes you play in any key, not just those two combinations.

Therefore, you may want to try a factory reset of the keyboard.  Of course, you'll lose any data you've saved, though I don't believe this keyboard has much in the way of registrations or user song recordings, so that may not be a concern.  In any case, you may want to give it a little while longer to see if anyone else here has any solution that would not involve a complete factory reset, and then if no other solutions work, you may want to try the reset.  If the extra notes are still sounding after that, then it may very well be a defective keyboard.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 08:38:34 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 08:37:49 PM »
You might need to clean the internal key assembly. I've seen posts from users who started having weird keyboard issues-- certain keys not playing, or certain keys producing multiple notes-- and they were able to resolve the issue by opening up the keyboard and thorouggly using a can of compressed air to blow out any dust bunnies, or take apart the key assemblies and clean them thoroughly, etc. Just be careful if you want to try that, because (1) opening your keyboard will void any warranty you might still have on it, and (2) you can seriously damage your keyboard's circuit boards and plastic parts if you use improper cleaning solutions on them. I know nothing about what's safe to use, or how to open up a keyboard and clean it, so I would never try it myself, but if you think you might be able to handle it then I would strongly recommend researching the subject in keyboard forums and on video sites such as YouTube before attempting it.

gerard1206

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 05:10:52 AM »
If you are getting these extra notes without any kind of harmony feature or automatic accompaniment going, then this does sound like something going out of whack on the keyboard.  Additionally, the notes you are describing do not sound like anything that would automatically be played by the keyboard, even with auto accompaniment, as they make up a "suspended +4th" chord (G, Db {or technically, it would be called C# in this case}, and D is a G sus+4 chord, and Db, G, and Ab is a Db sus+4 chord), and I seriously doubt that those chords are supported by the auto accompaniment in that keyboard, and even if they were and that was the cause of the problem, then you should hear it on notes you play in any key, not just those two combinations.

Therefore, you may want to try a factory reset of the keyboard.  Of course, you'll lose any data you've saved, though I don't believe this keyboard has much in the way of registrations or user song recordings, so that may not be a concern.  In any case, you may want to give it a little while longer to see if anyone else here has any solution that would not involve a complete factory reset, and then if no other solutions work, you may want to try the reset.  If the extra notes are still sounding after that, then it may very well be a defective keyboard.
Hey! So I came back the next to the keyboard and it did not have anything wrong with it anymore. Very weird.
Just in case, how would I factory reset the keyboard?
Thanks,
Gerard
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 05:33:25 AM by gerard1206 »

gerard1206

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2020, 05:12:49 AM »
You might need to clean the internal key assembly. I've seen posts from users who started having weird keyboard issues-- certain keys not playing, or certain keys producing multiple notes-- and they were able to resolve the issue by opening up the keyboard and thorouggly using a can of compressed air to blow out any dust bunnies, or take apart the key assemblies and clean them thoroughly, etc. Just be careful if you want to try that, because (1) opening your keyboard will void any warranty you might still have on it, and (2) you can seriously damage your keyboard's circuit boards and plastic parts if you use improper cleaning solutions on them. I know nothing about what's safe to use, or how to open up a keyboard and clean it, so I would never try it myself, but if you think you might be able to handle it then I would strongly recommend researching the subject in keyboard forums and on video sites such as YouTube before attempting it.

Hey! So I came back the next to the keyboard and it did not have anything wrong with it anymore. Very weird.
I will absolutely check this out though, I have had this keyboard for a long while so I'm sure something else will go wrong and maybe this can help.
Thanks,
Gerard
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 05:33:34 AM by gerard1206 »

Offline SciNote

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2020, 06:49:36 AM »
Just in case, how would I factory reset the keyboard?
Thanks,
Gerard

Make sure the keyboard is turned off.  Then, hold down the highest white key on the keyboard, and while holding that key down, turn on the power.  Remember, this will also erase any settings and songs that you have stored in the keyboard.  I had checked, and this is described as "initialization" on page 32 of the US user's manual.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios