Author Topic: Connecting two Keyboards using MIDI  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Linson

Connecting two Keyboards using MIDI
« on: December 24, 2020, 04:24:35 AM »
Hello Friends.
Is it possible to connect two Keyboards using MIDI? The intention is when it is in the style play mode, chord change on the 1st keyboard should apply to the 2nd keyboard via midi, I mean while playing the 1st keyboard left hand , the 2nd keybrd should follow the same..
Has anybody has tried this? If this didn't work , is there any other method possible? In my case, it's sx900 and Korg PA 1000.
Thanks for sharing..

Offline Bernie9

Re: Connecting two Keyboards using MIDI
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 08:49:19 AM »
I am far from a midi expert, but it is done all the time.  You can configure all kinds of combinations with chord track, left and right hand sound, or combining the two.  It is a matter of routing your midi commands from #1 to #2, or vice versa.  You have to match up your transmit(TX) of one to receive on the other.

Hopefully, someone can be of more help.

Bernie

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 09:26:55 AM »
Hello Friends.
Is it possible to connect two Keyboards using MIDI?
Yes, of course. Done all the time. Go to the midi menu on the keyboard.
Mike

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 10:51:49 AM »
... Is it possible to connect two Keyboards using MIDI? The intention is when it is in the style play mode, chord change on the 1st keyboard should apply to the 2nd keyboard via midi, I mean while playing the 1st keyboard left hand , the 2nd keybrd should follow the same..
... In my case, it's sx900 and Korg PA 1000....

Hi Linson,

why do you want to do this? Would you like to have the styles from both keyboards run at the same time? I think this is not going to work very well.

Please describe a bit more detailed what exactly you want to achieve with the MIDI connection.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline beginpsrsx900

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 02:23:11 PM »

Hello, I personally prefer to connect the audio output of my pa1000 to the audio input of the sx900 which is connected to it in an amplifier

[attachment deleted by admin]
PSR SX900, PA1000, 2x FCB 1010, BCF2000, NANO PAD, NANO KONTROL, Micro, ETC, ETC

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 02:27:45 PM »
Yes Chris, you are correct, normally this is done to use the arranger as a slave to another keyboard -like a digital piano or even just a controller keyboard. And normally as a way of getting a superior feel 88 keybed to control the arranger. You wouldn't normally try to synch two arrangers playing styles together. Although I think it can be done, I have never seen much point on joining two similar arrangers. 
Mike

Genos!

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 04:32:54 PM »
Makes perfect sense to me.

What's played on the SX plays on the SX...
and what's played on the PA plays on both.

You can even clock-sync via midi.  ;)

timeless

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 10:45:03 PM »
I am not an expert, just evolved from the damaged pSR3000 and I had this problem.
It has partially been solved by:

1. Pressing MENU button and
2. on page 2 selecting the MIDI option,
3. selecting RECEIVE
4. assignning the "keybord" option to he first channels 1 and 2 instead of what it was there.

By doing that that , the full ROLAND piano with weighted keys works in parallell with the original keyboard honouring the split and I think the ustain pedal also works. The comfort for a fomrer piano player is using 80+ keys and having their the dynamic response close to a real piano.
The drawback is that you cannot take the piano to a party, so you stil should practice on the original Yamaha.

The problem I see though is thT the MIDI setup does not seem to be saved globally, but it seems to be specific to a saved registration.

I still do not know if this can be made globally persistant.

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 03:11:29 AM »
What you do here is to assign your preferred set up to a set up registration, that you press every time as soon as you switch on the keyboard. For me this is the #1 position in the default registration bank that is live at start up, but if you have more than one favorite set up you can use this bank of registrations to store them all.
Mike
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 03:56:01 AM by mikf »

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 06:49:31 PM »
I am not an expert, just evolved from the damaged pSR3000 and I had this problem.
It has partially been solved by:

1. Pressing MENU button and
2. on page 2 selecting the MIDI option,
3. selecting RECEIVE
4. assignning the "keybord" option to he first channels 1 and 2 instead of what it was there.

By doing that that , the full ROLAND piano with weighted keys works in parallell with the original keyboard honouring the split and I think the ustain pedal also works. The comfort for a fomrer piano player is using 80+ keys and having their the dynamic response close to a real piano.
The drawback is that you cannot take the piano to a party, so you stil should practice on the original Yamaha.

The problem I see though is thT the MIDI setup does not seem to be saved globally, but it seems to be specific to a saved registration.

I still do not know if this can be made globally persistant.

Hi timeless,

you are wrong here:

a MIDI setup can ONLY be saved GLOBALLY (as a so called "User MIDI template"). A MIDI setup can NOT be saved ("memorized") to a Registration, so a Registration can NOT change the MIDI setup.

With all Tyros- and PSR-S models (also on PSR-3000), saving the current MIDI settings (= MIDI setup) as a user MIDI template works as follows:

- Make the desired settings in  "Function > MIDI > Edit" display.
- Press [Exit] button (once) to leave the MIDI Edit display.
- Go to USER tab.
- Press Save and enter a meaningful file name.
- Press OK to save your User MIDI template. (On most models you can save up to 10 User MIDI templates this way.)
- Make sure that you new MIDI template is SELECTED now. (This is absolutely necessary so that this template is automatically reloaded the next time the keyboard is restarted!)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 06:57:11 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)