Author Topic: Right on Christmas time the Genos seems to have a memory problem  (Read 3268 times)

Offline ugawoga

Hi to anyone that can help HELP!! :P

A big Happy Christmas  First!! :)

Well After putting a Tyros 5 year old  Paul Mc Cartney Christmas song  into Cubase to bump up for the Genos,
something went wrong as the sound started to garble.
I noticed that the Chord Data and Sys Ex track was missing.
I then took my midi file back to the Genos and saved again and also the setup data.
I then put back into Cubase to convert midi tracks to wave and the garble came back again.
I switched the Genos off and on again and appeared ok for another 5 minutes.
I kept switching the Genos off and on again to finish the audio tracks and suceeded.
I was happy but not really.

After a cup of coffee ,i was back on the Genos to relax and have a practice and enjoy playing. THEN THE GREMLIN STRUCK!!   :-[

Turn Power Off and then on again

omiszrjboo   L354

What that meant ,i do not know.

I switched off and on again  and about 5 minutes on  it happened again
Yes , this kept happening every 5 minutes on the dot after taking note.

I rang Yamaha and they were very helpfull .
The man i spoke to said that it maybe that my midi file had upset the machine and tommorrow  i may have to walk you through a full factory reset.

He told me to back everything up.
I proceeded to do that , but my usb stick was not recognized ,well, all my Usb sticks and  all of my usb drives had Genos data on them.
I went to the full backup and i put my usb stick in and the Genos said Usb found. Pressed backup and it said my usb was not formatted, even though it was.
Well ,my Genos has alzheimer's problems. Is there a doctor in the house !! :o :P ::)
In the end i found out that i could save my reg and  sound and pad data as it started to recognize the stick at last.
I could not do full backup  as as i said it keeps having headaches. It does not recognize any usb drive for backups. Someone out there has got it in for me. :P

I started to save each registration and each sound and pad user data one by one , BUT EVERY 5 MINUTES I HAD TO SWITCH THE KEYBOARD ON AND OFF AGAIN TO PROCEED FURTHER.
A long boring job , but i managed to save all of my data. That was a sweat.
The funny thing is that i could hear that sound Ping when the keyboard wants to be power saved  switch off. I do not have and power save options on.
To sum all up , i am still confused what is going on. Whether it is a corrupt midi file or a memory problem , or like in computers a stack problem.
Tommorrow at 10am i am having a word with the Yamaha guy.
So the next thing would be a full Factory reset and hope and prey for the best .
Otherwise Yamaha will have to deal with the problem
Lucky still have a couple of years on my 5year guarantee

Any thoughts on  this matter appreciated

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 09:57:55 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Toril S

Re: Right on Christmas time the Genos seems to have a memory problem
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 12:19:29 AM »
Oh my oh my!!!!! Soft reset tried? You have my deepest sympathy!!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline markstyles

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 02:15:15 AM »
I've had my Genos for 3 years and a couple of months.  Right at the 3-year mark,  it started acting weird..  USB midi stops sending. I switch cables. Re-power Genos, midi works.  cuts out.  Then it locked up on start-up,  never got past first black screen while booting up. That cost me $700. (while the board itself was only $150)   USB  midi is finicky, works fine, other days goes dead.  now I have to use 'factory reset'.   

I never had any problem with the 3 Tyros's I owned. The USB jack in (device socket - kind of square) is just so slightly too large.  to make a good snug fit, I slip a tiny sliver of paper with the plug, as I plug into GENOS Socket.. I'm not happy of course, but the tech shops charge $150 an hour to work on Genos..  So I'm going to leave the USB socket the way it is.

Since this didn't really appear till my 3rd, year.. I am long out of warranty. oh well.. Be grateful you didn't have to bring it into a shop to be repaired.  With the covid, here in NYC,  every thing now takes 3 - 4 times longer to get things done. The repair shop was only open 2 days a week.

The following users thanked this post: ugawoga

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 09:05:05 AM »
Hi Toril
Thanks for the concern .
It is very annoying.  :P :( :-[

Hi Mark

I purchased my Genos in 2017 and have a 5 year guarantee on it, so i am in the frame for free repair if any.
This morning at 10am uk time i will speak with Yamaha at Milton Keynes uk and the technician thinks i need a full factory reset.
It only started after i put a midi file in the Genos which was done originally on the Tyros 5.
It may have corrupted the Genos brain..
I will report back after i get a result.

All the best
John :) :-[
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 09:07:56 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 11:31:04 AM »
Hi Toril

I think i may have solved this problem
The midi file or stick with the corrupt midi file, i have binned
I rang up E Pianos here in uk , because Yamaha uk in Milton Keynes have their phones down and it mabe because they have gone into Tier 4 with this covid business.

E piano's said Hit the last key on the right and keep your finger on the start button.
I had to make sure of this as i do not wnat to invalidate anything.
So this is a soft rest and retains all my registrations etc.
I then proceeded to back the Genos up and formatted a new stick. Bingo ,this time i got the full backup .
There is no tinkle sounds and omni boo boo's L354 After and hour, so i can say touch wood it is solved with the soft reset.
Hopefully Omni bo boo L354  has been put to bed.  ;D  I am not getting over exited yet as gremlins have a way of getting you back.
The Trolls are tame compared with Gremlins!!!

All the best
John ;D ;D ;D :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 11:39:32 AM by ugawoga »

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 12:02:23 PM »
John,

I was going to suggest a soft reset. Glad you got it sorted!

Rick D.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 12:26:09 PM »
Hi Rick

Yes , it was the soft reset that cured the big black and white monster.
Thank goodness all happy for Christmas.

have a great Christmas Rick and thanks for chipping in.

All the best
John

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 12:32:34 PM »
I've had my Genos for 3 years and a couple of months.  Right at the 3-year mark,  it started acting weird..  USB midi stops sending. I switch cables. Re-power Genos, midi works.  cuts out.  Then it locked up on start-up,  never got past first black screen while booting up. That cost me $700. (while the board itself was only $150)   USB  midi is finicky, works fine, other days goes dead.  now I have to use 'factory reset'.   

I never had any problem with the 3 Tyros's I owned. The USB jack in (device socket - kind of square) is just so slightly too large.  to make a good snug fit, I slip a tiny sliver of paper with the plug, as I plug into GENOS Socket.. I'm not happy of course, but the tech shops charge $150 an hour to work on Genos..  So I'm going to leave the USB socket the way it is.

Since this didn't really appear till my 3rd, year.. I am long out of warranty. oh well.. Be grateful you didn't have to bring it into a shop to be repaired.  With the covid, here in NYC,  every thing now takes 3 - 4 times longer to get things done. The repair shop was only open 2 days a week.

Hi Mark
That was a bit tough on you.
Most places in UK gave a 5 year guarantee.
USA seems to get  a raw deal with keyboards taking ages to get over to your shops and service.
Hope you are all sorted as it gets so  frustrating when your in the throws of music and all goes Boobies up.

Have a good Christmas Mark and family and a New Year hopefully.
I cant wait to have a cruise again, but will have to wait until this dreaded time is over.

All the best
John
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 12:34:17 PM by ugawoga »

Offline ckobu

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 12:34:35 PM »
Hi John, I was glad you solved the problem without authorized service.
Genos is an indestructible device, it swallows everything that is offered to it. If the taste does not suit her, she spits it out with the help of a simple reset.

https://youtu.be/TQFge4ZGKEU?t=174
Watch my video channel

Online EileenL

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 01:32:43 PM »
This can happen a lot when loading in stuff from USB sticks. If the Genos dose not think it is healthy to load in it will tell you so. In most of these cases a soft reset will do the job. If Genos dose not like what I am loading from a USB stick then I bin it. It is not worth the hassle and time you spend trying to use old stuff.
Have a good Christmas and stay safe.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 01:38:05 PM »
I am so happy! Now you can have a merry Chrismas John🌲🌲🌲❤️❤️❤️
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 05:24:26 PM »
Big thanks for your replies Toril, Chockbu, and Eileen

That had me sweating a little .

TO ALL HAVE A GREAT CHRISTMAS :)

Here in the UK we have to go outside in the street with a bell of some sort, Mine is a wine bell.
We have to all ring our bells in the streets all over at 6pm tonight to support all the lonely people this Christmas for one minute i think.

All the best
John :D
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 08:47:21 PM by ugawoga »

dflstarry

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2020, 05:56:28 PM »
Hi: John

I'm so glad to hear you got it sorted out, I felt so bad that it caused you problems
especially right before Christmas.
Now you can have a Merry Christmas & enjoy the Genos again.

Merry Christmas to you & yours  ;D
Denny 
PS: Ring the bell a few times for me, OK   8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 06:54:22 PM by dflstarry »