Author Topic: The best electric guitar for Genos.  (Read 2965 times)

grosado

The best electric guitar for Genos.
« on: December 20, 2020, 04:42:00 PM »
Hello,

I found the best guitar compliment for Genos on Ketron SD1. I would like to share this excerpt from "Europa" by Santana showing the excellent "partnership" between these keyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z3gaRw470

My Ketron SD1 is 19 years old and the quality of sounds is one of the best ever created.

I would love to know your thoughts about it.

Kind regards,
Guillermo.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Colin D

DonM

Re: The best electric guitar for Genos.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 07:30:24 PM »
Hello,

I found the best guitar compliment for Genos on Ketron SD1. I would like to share this excerpt from "Europa" by Santana showing the excellent "partnership" between these keyboards.

My Ketron SD1 is 19 years old and the quality of sounds is one of the best ever created.

I would love to know your thoughts about it.

Kind regards,
Guillermo.
AND, the later Ketrons have even better sounds.  If it weren't for lack of support and repair facilities in the U.S., I would most likely still be playing one.  Sold my SD7 a couple of weeks ago because it was too costly to ship it back and forth to get a key replaced.  I've had most of the Ketrons since they were marketed as Solton, along with nearly every Yamaha and many Korgs and Rolands.  Not to mention the dearly departed Technics.
The good news is that there are so many great choices in arrangers!  I'm down to only one Yammy, one Roland and one Korg right now!  The Korg PA1000 is my favorite at this time, all subject to change with the weather.  :)

grosado

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 07:45:41 PM »
Hi DonM,

I guess you also had issues on the SD1 display. It was hard to fix, but fortunately I contacted AJ who gave the definitive solution. I live in Mexico, my SD1 was sent from Ancona, Italy, almost 20 years ago!

Thanks for your reply.

Kind regards,
Guillermo.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 03:15:50 AM »
Hello,

sounds great, I had sd1 for a long time as well, and I noticed that you bend the notes using after touch, I’ve been using that technique as well, too bad I couldn’t do that with my genos
Tye M.
Genos, Audya 5, SD90, SD7

DonM

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 06:15:33 AM »
Hi DonM,

I guess you also had issues on the SD1 display. It was hard to fix, but fortunately I contacted AJ who gave the definitive solution. I live in Mexico, my SD1 was sent from Ancona, Italy, almost 20 years ago!

Thanks for your reply.

Kind regards,
Guillermo.
No, no problem with the SD1 screen.  Had lots of problems when Audya first came out, but most were resolved after only a few years.  :) 
I also had severed problems when the SD7 first came out.  It would lock up and have to be rebooted several times a night.  I quickly sold it and after three years bought another one, which worked very well until one of the keys quit working.  I took it apart to see if I could find the problem, but I couldn't.  I shipped it to AJ.  He repaired the key and sent it on to the buyer.  It cost $175. for me to ship it!

grosado

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 02:47:43 PM »
sounds great, I had sd1 for a long time as well, and I noticed that you bend the notes using after touch, I’ve been using that technique as well, too bad I couldn’t do that with my genos

Hi Tye M.

You're right, the best way to get these results is using pitch bend, modulation and after touch via MIDI edition after playing (I had to record MIDI on my pc while playing on the video). It is not easy but the results are awesome.

I did not try this technique with Genos, the guitars on it are not as good as SD1.

Thanks for your reply!
Guillermo.

Offline musicman01

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 07:06:41 AM »
Hi, The guitar sound of the SD1 is certainly not bad for a keyboard over 15 years old,
but saying that there is no better in the Genos I don't agree at all !!
It just goes to show that very few people know the Genos.
The guitars in the Genos are of a much higher quality than what we hear here.
Why does the Genos have so many effects? 28 DSPs, but few use them!
Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4fzPneMnxg

PS: the SD1000 sound module is a good solution for people who would like to use the ketron sounds, for example with the Genos.
It contains the same sounds as SD1 and much more. Price € 440 in Europe.

Happy Christmas to all
MusicMan

grosado

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 02:47:49 PM »
Hello MusicMan,

The effects are much better on Genos, but the sample quality is better on SD1 (at least for this guitar).

I'll make a comparison video playing the same piece of music on SD1 and Genos separarately, what do you think about it?

BTW, my SD1 is 19 years old! it sounds too good for its age.

Thanks for your reply!
Guillermo.