Author Topic: Set list to play live  (Read 3226 times)

tropi238@gmail.com

Set list to play live
« on: December 20, 2020, 05:28:12 AM »
Hi i have a psr s970 and y need a way to organice my diferent set list for easy recall. I use the registrations but are only 8 spaces. I play with a band and alone so i need yo have and change my sets.

All ideas are welcome ( i know the sx vertions have set list but i can't buy a new one un this moment)

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Set list to play live
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 06:19:59 AM »
Each bank has 8 Registrations.

You can have unlimited Banks. ( Amount of space on keyboard / Pen drive )

Have two Folders one for Band and the other for Solo Performance.
Also use the OTS function.   

Hope this helps regards Norman.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 11:15:47 AM »
I have all my songs in registrations, one bank per song. The name of the bank is the name of the song.

Now set lists are easy, as I just create a folder for each set on my computer. I just copy in the registration files needed. I then modify the file name by inserting a number in front so they sort properly.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 02:48:42 PM »
Hello Fred,

I think the method you describe will work but how can you find a song someone requests if it is not in your current set list? Using the Music Finder, I use the ALL tab and sort by song name. I then tap on the Name and then RECORD EDIT which lets me see the KEYWORD code I have entered. The CODE I have labeled (ie S16) which notes that the style is in Set 16. 

I read here on the forum someone said to put a Number in front of each Registration, so they will sort by number. If you do that, do you also have to have a printed sheet of your songs in Alphabet order with the Code Number to find the registration number? 

Regards
Drake

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 02:57:03 PM »
I think the method you describe will work but how can you find a song someone requests if it is not in your current set list? Using the Music Finder, I use the ALL tab and sort by song name. I then tap on the Name and then RECORD EDIT which lets me see the KEYWORD code I have entered. The CODE I have labeled (ie S16) which notes that the style is in Set 16. 

I read here on the forum someone said to put a Number in front of each Registration, so they will sort by number. If you do that, do you also have to have a printed sheet of your songs in Alphabet order with the Code Number to find the registration number? 

When someone requests a song, I simply go to the registration folder. The songs are all in alphabetical order. Easy peasy.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 05:07:42 PM »
Fred,

So do you have a special folder with all the Registrations that are in alphabet order and then several separate folders with the Registrations set by gig sets? 

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 06:08:05 PM »

So do you have a special folder with all the Registrations that are in alphabet order and then several separate folders with the Registrations set by gig sets?

When I had a T4, yes, this was my setup. The "special folder" was simply the folder of registrations the keyboard sets up. As soon as I pressed the J button, they were displayed. I especially liked the List View (which I miss on the Genos), as it would display many more on one screen, and you could scroll through them with the wheel.

On my Genos now, the registrations are in the same place, but I use the Playlist feature to set up for gigs.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

The following users thanked this post: DrakeM

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 10:38:46 PM »
Fred,

Hi Drake,

your original Registration bank files (named by the song name) will remain in your main Registration folder as usual. There the files are automatically sorted alphabetically.

You create a separate folder for each "setlist". There you copy the required Registration files from your main Registration folder. To put the files in the desired order, add a three-digit number to the file name, for example:

010 song name XY.rgt
020 Song name CD.rgt
030 song name AB.rgt

The advantage of this numbering (which is also used by Yamaha demonstrators) is that you can easily insert numbers in between later without having to change all numbers, e.g. 015 is then automatically sorted between 010 and 020.

By the way, you can load the next Registration bank (within such a "setlist" folder) simply by pressing the "Regist Bank +" button.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: DrakeM

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 12:40:16 PM »
Thanks for the replays. I can see from pictures of the Genos Registration that the line has more spaces in the label now than what is available on my S950.

I see I can label a registration as:

Rocky Top+2 S06

Which would be telling me to transpose the keyboard up 2 for the key of D and that the lead sheet is in set #6 of my note book. 

I play one venue weekly and I rotate the sets so I am not playing the same tunes over and over. I have 23 different one hour sets. I am at the point now that I only play a song twice a year. I also re-shuffle the set list order each time I use it.