Author Topic: PSR-SX600 Unison and Accent not working  (Read 2170 times)

Bob L

PSR-SX600 Unison and Accent not working
« on: December 19, 2020, 05:15:39 PM »
Can anyone help me set up Unison and Accent feature on this keyboard?  It's a simple matter of turning "ON' Unison in the menu but all that does is kill the accompaniment.  Unison not working. Thanks, Bob
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 05:43:45 PM by Bob L »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline ckobu

Re: PSR-SX600 Unison and Accent not working
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 06:04:58 PM »
Only certain Styles have the Union & Accent feature, see Data List on page 23.
Watch my video channel

janamdo

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 10:53:06 PM »
Thanks
I noticed that as SX600 owner, but did not experienced ( listening) a real world example of this feature ?

Jan 

Offline ckobu

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 11:08:46 PM »
Perhaps this is a good example of how to use this option.

https://youtu.be/yWYuZeG3I3E
Watch my video channel

janamdo

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 08:51:26 AM »
Thanks
I saw another video, but don't get a impression of these features, but now its clear.
It shows here the unison function what thickens the melody
Interesting
Now about the accent feature , this has something to do with accompanient : it thickens the style 
Jan

Offline ckobu

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 09:24:38 AM »
That's right, Style plays in a different way. For such a change, there needs to be new information and functions in it. Therefore, only some Styles have this property.
There are several modalities to choose from. See the Reference Manual on page 28 for more information.

ckobu
Watch my video channel

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 09:49:25 AM »
This new feature does seem like a major step forward in high end style control, but obviously in its infancy and limited now to a small number of styles and only one model of keyboard. I can see great potential, and imagine it will expand in the future. But it also looks like it would take good keyboard skill and musical ability to use it well. Startling results though in the hands of an expert player like we hear in the demo.
Mike

Offline ckobu

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 10:33:35 AM »
That's right, Mike. This gives a new dynamic in playing. The Style must also include new features that enable Unsion & Accent. I hope they will be available and built into Style Creator so we can create our own Styles with these features.
Time will tell, I hope Yamaha won’t lock this up like say creating SA Voices.
Watch my video channel

janamdo

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 12:12:30 PM »
Startling results though in the hands of an expert player like we hear in the demo.
Mike
Hopefully this features are also to perform for less then expert players to do
Musical knowledge of a style is needed
When i start with the first U&A style : in Pop&Rock: 2019Dancepop
A pedal is needed for for the unison feature, but perhaps assignable
2019DancehallPop style : has session and unison

This keyboard is aimed for new starters and maybe there is more information to find how to apply those features must be performed?

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 12:31:28 PM »
Jan
Most arranger players are pushed just to handle chords and melody. The ability to slip in additional riffs, and control it on a pedal, is probably going to tax most people. Not to mention that it takes real musical talent to ‘hear’ what might work, not just execute it. Even when making styles, or multi track recordings, this is not something most players do well, far less doing it in real time.
So it is going to be a potentially great feature for better players, but maybe not something typical arranger players need to get too excited about.
Mike

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 12:46:34 PM »
Agree with Mike here.  Do not take on too much in the beginning. Start easy and build up your skills.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

janamdo

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 01:54:26 PM »
Yes, start with the basic music skills to first master these and then go further...   
Of course i don't aspect too much of this new feature for me , but in the youtube video example  it is clear to hear what the effect of unison is.
Some tutorials how to handle these special styles from experienced player would be helpful to see more what's under the hood of the SX600 is hidden :)

Note: 80 "turbo" (unison&accent) styles to play with on SX600
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 06:01:22 PM by janamdo »