Author Topic: PSR S970 with Superior Drummer 3 (Music City expansion)  (Read 4083 times)

PSR S970 with Superior Drummer 3 (Music City expansion)
« on: December 18, 2020, 09:35:22 PM »
Hi, I just wanted to share a very short example of what you can do with the PSR S970 and Superior Drummer 3 software
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q0xQJZsjiioc8sq2ja2G7EGY7vbPcVwa/view?usp=sharing. The PSR S770/S970 doesn't have the truly amazing Revo! Drums and I always feel that the Live! Real Drums doesn't fit really well to all the genres of music, I think with virtual instruments like Superior Drummer 3 you can get better results. What do you think? Do you use this kind of software to replace the drum sounds from your S770/S970?

The following users thanked this post: rezaazadi1361

Offline DrakeM

Re: PSR S970 with Superior Drummer 3 (Music City expansion)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 09:53:52 PM »
I use the older model PSR-S950. I go into the RHY2 track and tweak the drum patterns quit often now a days. So, I don't see a reason for a separate program for producing drum sounds. Are you sure you can't tweak the drums on your keyboard too? If your keyboard has the Style Create program, you can tweak every thing that has to do with the drummer patterns.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 09:55:03 PM by DrakeM »

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 11:02:59 PM »
I use the older model PSR-S950. I go into the RHY2 track and tweak the drum patterns quit often now a days. So, I don't see a reason for a separate program for producing drum sounds. Are you sure you can't tweak the drums on your keyboard too? If your keyboard has the Style Create program, you can tweak every thing that has to do with the drummer patterns.

Hi, I can tweak the drums but I can’t get realistic results. Maybe because most of the drums from the keyboard don’t have things like a lot of sound layers or wavescycling technology.

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 11:50:31 PM »
Well I have to say that the drums on this short sample did sound great, very realistic. But of course without a direct comparison it’s impossible to say if they are better than you can achieve on the keyboard, or how much better and whether the difference is significant enough to be worth the effort.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: rodrigo.b

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 05:02:35 AM »
Superior Drummer and EZ drummer ( same company)
Another Good drum Collection is ( Addictive Drums )

Some of the Kontakt Instrument too are good
Like Get Good Drums. 
But the Abbey Roads collection isn't so good.   

Regards Norman.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

The following users thanked this post: rodrigo.b

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 06:15:05 AM »
Hi, thank you! Here is a very short comparison:
You didn’t describe what you are comparing??
Mike

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 12:41:26 PM »
You didn’t describe what you are comparing??
Mike

Hi, sorry I forgot to say that I am comparing the PSR S970 Live! Real Drums with Superior Drummer Music City expansion. For this comparison I used the Country Rock style.

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 12:53:31 PM »
There were two samples on your second post, which is which?
Mike

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 01:44:24 PM »
There were two samples on your second post, which is which?
Mike

The first is the PSR S970 and the second is Superior Drummer

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 06:12:43 PM »
I agree with Drake. I have used the style creator program for years to tweak the drums and make them sound more realistic.

Here's an example of a style I tweaked with the PSR-S950.

Black Velvet

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 03:22:22 AM »
I listened to your 2 samples. And yes that is what I said you can do with your keyboard's Style Creator program. You just need to change that one crappy hard sounding Snare. I play by ear and I just hunt around hitting the keys with them making the drum sounds until I find the one you are hearing in your second demo pattern. It's there as I have been putting together a bunch of Hawaiian custom styles. All these custom styles either used no drums or a very low key drum sound. I also had to delete the cymbal crash from the "Fill Ins" that Yamaha puts at the end of each fill in pattern for these Hawaiian styles.

Regards
Drake

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 04:01:29 AM »
Here is an example of what I did to get a drum pattern that I needed for one of my resent custom song styles.

https://app.box.com/s/igu2l71l60m4ingqfun4r4bjttwqvr71

Regards
Drake

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 05:35:50 AM »
I've also been on this subject for almost a year.
At the end of the day
It's what it sounds at the end of the day. And what you want.

But I have to say.
VATi drums are a bit more complicated.  But the possibilities for editing are way way more than the Keyboard.

But for the Keyboard world PSR S 770 and above have Decent drums.
For most of the songs we do.

Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Joe H

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 04:53:28 PM »
I tweak the drum kits in StyleMagic... it has a great drum editor.  Change Fine Tune, Filter, Resonance, Reverb, Attack, Decay, etc.  I also have lots of expansion pack drum kits I can use.  If the drum mapping is different, I can change the drum notes to play whatever percussion sound I want.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html