Author Topic: Win10 crash and YEM content......re Expansions  (Read 2831 times)

Offline trebor1950

Win10 crash and YEM content......re Expansions
« on: December 14, 2020, 03:30:45 PM »
Hi all.

Unfortunately I've had a major Win10 crash - I had no option but to do a clean Win install which deletes all my additional programme files and Apps.
Fortunately (and rightly so) I only use the internal SSD for the operating system and installation of the programmes I use - all other saved downloads - files - documents - pictures Expansion Zip files etc etc are stored on another HDD.......

For those who don't know within the Win system is an area called User in which all the installed programme information is stored.....
Because of the CRASH this was all lost when the clean install was made - - I have re installed the latest YEM and obviously now have a blank listing of Expansions........

I'm getting their.......

Is there any alternative way of retrieving all my Expansion packs back into YEM that have been installed into my GENOS without having to unzip the original downloaded files - can they be retrieved from the actual Workstation.....(which has of course my Expansion Packs installed)........I do regularly back-up my GENOS onto a USB plus I have my past Packinstall Data files on another USB....

And before anyone states the obvious - I know, I should have made a regular backup of my Windows System - Lesson Learnt.

Rob....

Online ckobu

Re: Win10 crash and YEM content......re Expansions
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 03:37:56 PM »
Hi,
unfortunately, there is no way to recover data in YEM. Neither from USB where you have backups of Installation files, nor from the keyboard where they are installed in Expansion Memory.

You will need to re-enter all the Packages in YEM individually and then install them in the Keyboard. If you do not know the schedule of Packages that were in YEM, it would be good to rewrite all the LSB numbers from the installation packages in the keyboard.
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: trebor1950

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 04:23:43 PM »
Hi Rob
Nasty, when this sort of thing happens
If I were you invest in a Terrabyte usb drive.
Then take a Win 10 System Image which saves everything.
If you then have a catastrophy the system Image brings back everything that you lost  including the opersating system and all that is saved on your internal drives.and will be in the state before you have a nasty happening.
I always take a latest image when new updates are in and keep the backing up to date.
I learnt the hard way as well.

All the best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline trebor1950

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 04:41:16 PM »
Hi,
unfortunately, there is no way to recover data in YEM. Neither from USB where you have backups of Installation files, nor from the keyboard where they are installed in Expansion Memory.

You will need to re-enter all the Packages in YEM individually and then install them in the Keyboard. If you do not know the schedule of Packages that were in YEM, it would be good to rewrite all the LSB numbers from the installation packages in the keyboard.

In my thoughts I knew this - but was for-ever hopeful......Oh well it will give me something to do in Lockdown,
Rob

Offline trebor1950

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 04:43:29 PM »
Hi Rob
Nasty, when this sort of thing happens
If I were you invest in a Terrabyte usb drive.
Then take a Win 10 System Image which saves everything.
If you then have a catastrophy the system Image brings back everything that you lost  including the opersating system and all that is saved on your internal drives.and will be in the state before you have a nasty happening.
I always take a latest image when new updates are in and keep the backing up to date.
I learnt the hard way as well.

All the best
John

Thanks - Yep Lesson Learnt.
Rob

Offline Stijn

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 10:16:47 AM »
Rob,

The next time you have your packs all set up in YEM, you can save a copy of this setup to a backup drive. Or if you want the same YEM setup on a laptop for instance, you copy it to the laptop. This is how you make a copy the YEM contents:

1. Press the "Windows key"+"R" to open the "Run" window.
2. Type the following string into the "Run" window, then click "Ok".

%LocalAppData%\Yamaha\

3. This opens the folder  "C:\ Users\ <YourUsername>\ AppData\ Local\ Yamaha\"
4. COPY the folder "Expansion Manager" to a USB Stick.

To make a copy to a laptop, put the folder "Expansion Manager" in the folder Yamaha, overwriting the existing contents (or deleting it first...)

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Offline trebor1950

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 10:57:02 AM »
Rob,

The next time you have your packs all set up in YEM, you can save a copy of this setup to a backup drive. Or if you want the same YEM setup on a laptop for instance, you copy it to the laptop. This is how you make a copy the YEM contents:

1. Press the "Windows key"+"R" to open the "Run" window.
2. Type the following string into the "Run" window, then click "Ok".

%LocalAppData%\Yamaha\

Brilliant - thank you - will do.....
Rob

3. This opens the folder  "C:\ Users\ <YourUsername>\ AppData\ Local\ Yamaha\"
4. COPY the folder "Expansion Manager" to a USB Stick.

To make a copy to a laptop, put the folder "Expansion Manager" in the folder Yamaha, overwriting the existing contents (or deleting it first...)

Stijn

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 05:30:32 PM »
Hi
I just stick my packs on a  external Usb stick or usb drive.
then import if and when needed.

All the best
john
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Online overover

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 06:24:44 PM »
... I just stick my packs on a  external Usb stick or usb drive.
then import if and when needed. ...

Hi John,

backups on external drives are always good. :)

And even if you backup the complete YEM user folder (as mentioned before) also the original Pack Project files (.ppf/.cpf) should be copied to at least one external drive (what you're already doing).

However, I recommend you to make also a screenshot of the current "Bank Select LSB" window in YEM and save this graphic file next to your Pack files on an external drive. This information (LSB numbers of the installed Packs) is important when re-importing individual Packs into YEM in the future.

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)