Author Topic: Poor Man’s Clavinova  (Read 2592 times)

Offline guitpic1

Poor Man’s Clavinova
« on: December 13, 2020, 06:50:12 PM »
I decided to MIDI my Roland RD2000(as Master) to my Genos(as slave).  I’m using a regular midi cable...out on RD2000 to in on Genos.  I’m doing this to be able play on my Genos using a weighted keyboard.

My goal has been to use the keyboard on my RD2000 to control styles on the Genos.  Turns out Genos makes that part easy.  Just go to chords in the midi section and select the appropriate port.

Thing is, now all 88 keys on my Roland control styles; there is no split on the Roland keyboard which would allow me to play styles on the left side of the Roland keys and individual notes on the right side of the keyboard.

So I’m researching what I can re:midi and the two keyboards I midi’d together.  I’m no expert in MIDI but am learning.

I don’t plan to gig with this combo...just playing for my own enjoyment.

Any thoughts, comments are welcome.

😊

guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline mikf

Re: Poor Man’s Clavinova
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 08:01:48 PM »
I think you should be able to split the keyboard. I believe it’s set up on the Genos by selecting the correct midi set up.
Mike

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 10:14:17 PM »
You don't need a split on the Roland RD2000 or any other master keyboard you might connect to Genos. In the Genos MIDI setup just make sure to assign the Keyboard Part to the MIDI receive channel used to listen to the RD2000. Then all the Genos key settings regarding Style, Left and Right Parts are followed.
Regards, Michael

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 10:21:03 PM »
I decided to MIDI my Roland RD2000(as Master) to my Genos(as slave).  I’m using a regular midi cable...out on RD2000 to in on Genos.  I’m doing this to be able play on my Genos using a weighted keyboard.

My goal has been to use the keyboard on my RD2000 to control styles on the Genos.  Turns out Genos makes that part easy.  Just go to chords in the midi section and select the appropriate port.

Thing is, now all 88 keys on my Roland control styles; there is no split on the Roland keyboard which would allow me to play styles on the left side of the Roland keys and individual notes on the right side of the keyboard.

So I’m researching what I can re:midi and the two keyboards I midi’d together.  I’m no expert in MIDI but am learning. ...

Hi guitpic1,

in addition to Michael's (Dromeus) tip above, I recommend you to do the following :

- On Genos, select the Preset MIDI template "All Parts".
- You do NOT need to set anything in "Receive > Chord Detection".
- Press "Exit" to close the MIDI display.

- Make sure that the Roland RD2000 is set to MIDI Transmit Channel 1 (= usually standard).
- Connect the Roland's MIDI Out to the MIDI B In of the Genos.
- That's it!

With these settings, the Genos will be controlled via Channel 1 @ MIDI Port 2. This channel is automatically set to the Part "Keyboard" when the template "All Parts" is selected.

P.S.
If you have problems that something is accidentally switched on the Genos when pressing any buttons on the Roland, you have to filter the MIDI events, either on the Roland at MIDI Out (Transmit) or on the Genos on MIDI In (Receive). If you need details on this, come back here. :)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 10:27:32 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 10:08:19 AM »
Tx all.  I will be giving these suggestions a try
guitpic1

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 11:02:58 AM »
Update:

Your suggestions worked.

👍👍👍

Many tx
guitpic1

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 11:12:51 AM »
Thanks for your quick feedback, guitpic1!

I'm glad to could help you!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 09:48:30 PM »
Roger, That doesn't sound like a poor man's Clavinova. Those are great instruments you own! :)
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 11:46:38 PM »
Yamaha set up its Midi system well...kinda for Midi dummies like me.

The cool thing is that now both keyboards(Genos/RD2000) are split and run the arranger simultaneously....pretty cool 😁

And fun😊

I do enjoy playing the arranger with weighted keys but also can make a simple jump to piano.

Genos and RD2000 are both well thought out

👍
guitpic1

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 11:51:57 PM »
I’d show you a picture of the rig, but the message I get is the file is too large(iPhone)
guitpic1

Genos!

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 04:56:42 AM »
I saw the title and passed it by. Sorry about that.

I have the same setup basically, except I use the Roland FA-08.

The sounds work great together, and it's great to have 88 keys.

Offline mikf

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 05:23:21 AM »
Roger
Yes, these set ups work well, especially for players with a piano background, if a bit more ‘messy’ than a clavinova.
Check this article on a similar set up.
https://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/cp33.html
Mike